The 82nd General Session of the World Assembly of OIE (Animal Health Organization) Delegates will be held from 25 to 30 May 2014, bringing together representatives of 178 OIE Members and observers from international organizations that have signed an official agreement with the OIE, as well as other international and regional organizations and invited guests.
The General Session will be held at the “Maison de la Chimie from Sunday 25 May 2014 to Thursday 29 May 2014 inclusive, and at the OIE Headquarters on Friday 30 May 2014 (Friday’s session is exclusively for the Delegates; it concerns administrative and financial affairs and elections).
The World Assembly of OIE Delegates establishes the policies of the OIE and supervises their implementation. This year, its main work concerns:
• the adoption of international standards regarding the safety of world trade in animals and animal products;
• the fight against animal diseases and zoonoses and improving the quality of Veterinary Services;
• the elections to fill vacant positions in certain Commissions.
During the General Session, two Technical Items of general interest will be presented by Rapporteurs chosen for their international competency:
• Criteria and factors for use establishing priority diseases of aquatic and terrestrial animals under official control programs.
• African Swine Fever : new challenges and measures to prevent its spread.
A summary of the world animal health situation will also be given.
The opening session of the World Assembly of OIE Delegates is always a special event owing to the presence of important personalities from around the world. In addition to the President and the Director General, addresses will be made by the Heads of States and the Ministers of several Members as well as Directors of International Organizations.