MercoPress, en Español

Montevideo, December 17th 2018 - 03:35 UTC

As of next May first, 90% of Pacific Alliance trade will be free of tariffs

Wednesday, March 9th 2016 - 07:24 UTC
Full article 3 comments
The protocol will ensure that 92% of trade will be free of tariffs, while the remaining 8% will face a gradual process, said Chilean official Andres Rebolledo The protocol will ensure that 92% of trade will be free of tariffs, while the remaining 8% will face a gradual process, said Chilean official Andres Rebolledo
GAN brought together 15 technical groups, and helped to review advances in the different integration areas of Pacific Alliance”, said Colombia's Mariana Sarasti GAN brought together 15 technical groups, and helped to review advances in the different integration areas of Pacific Alliance”, said Colombia's Mariana Sarasti

The Pacific Alliance Additional Protocol becomes effective next May first, which means 90% of trade between Chile, Peru, Colombia and Mexico will be free of tariffs, while the remaining will be subject to gradual tariff liberation chronogram, according to Andres Rebolledo, head of Chile's International Economic Relations Department, Direcon.

 “Following the domestic paperwork, the additional protocol will ensure that 92% of our trade will be free of tariffs, while the remaining 8% will face a gradual process”, said Rebolledo recently back from Bogotá where he participated at the Pacific Alliance High Level Group (GAN) deliberations together with the deputy foreign affairs and foreign trade ministers from the four countries, Chile, Peru, Colombia and Mexico.

Rebolledo added that in midyear Chile will be taking over the pro/tempore chair of the Alliance, which “means a great challenge, especially organizing the presidential summit and the Business Forum”, schedules for next July at Puerto Varas.

Colombia was also satisfied with the GAN meeting.

“GAN brought together 15 technical groups, in a positive scenario which also helped to review advances in the different integration areas of the Pacific Alliance”, said Colombian deputy foreign trade minister Mariana Sarasti. The meeting was also attended by the Inter American Development bank representative, Carolyn Robert.

The Pacific Alliance officially created on 28 April 2011, concentrates a population of 215 million with a per capita income of 16.500 US dollars.

Top Comments

Disclaimer & comment rules
  • Skip

    Sometimes it is easy to forget that the Pacific Alliance isn't even 5 years old.

    It just plods along softly softly and actually gets things done.

    Mar 09th, 2016 - 10:28 am 0
  • ChrisR

    Uruguay missed the boat again due to the illiterate and innumerate 'President', “No Money Pepe” getting caught up in TMBOA's skirt and Mercosur.

    Twats will never learn, even the 'new' president Vasquez when asked by a journalist if the stupidly high cost of fuel was going to be reduced (due to corruption by ANCAP and incompetence by Sendic the now Veep) answered “do you believe in Santa Claus?”

    ynsere was right when he said Vasquez is almost as bad as Mujica.

    Mar 09th, 2016 - 10:51 am 0
  • Briton

    Better than the EU then, free of tariffs

    it take them decades just to agree who is in the room.

    Mar 09th, 2016 - 01:56 pm 0
Read all comments

Commenting for this story is now closed.
If you have a Facebook account, become a fan and comment on our Facebook Page!