Uruguay is hosting two Antarctic Treaty meetings which will officially be opened Monday May 3 in Punta del Este by Foreign Affairs minister Luís Almagro. Uruguayan authorities expect an attendance of over 350 foreign officials at the Thirty three Antarctic Treaty Consultative and the Thirteenth Committee on Environmental Protection meetings.
Five former Royal Malaysia Air Force (RMAF) officers, including a brigadier-general, are suing the Armed Forces Council for wrongful dismissal. They are claiming that they had been wrongfully dismissed after an inquiry held over the two missing RMAF F5E fighter jet engines that were later located in a Uruguayan warehouse, apparently the property of an Argentine company.
An Argentine Supreme Court Judge has said that the pickets blocking an international bridge linking neighbouring Argentina and Uruguay to protest the construction of a pulp mill on the Uruguayan side are “illicit but not illegal”.
Uruguay is pushing for a full Indian mission in its capital Montevideo, showcasing the country as the gateway to the region and to expand bilateral trade and economic relations, according to New Delhi reports.
Finland’s pulp and paper manufacturer UPM's (OMX: UPM1V) Fray Bentos unit in Uruguay proved overwhelmingly the most profitable, helping to boost an otherwise first quarter profit of the year which was described as “unsatisfactory” by CEO Jussi Pesonen.
An overwhelming majority of Uruguayan children between the ages of 6 to 11 regularly use Internet according to a recent report from consultants Radar. The Seventh Profile on Uruguay’s Internauts shows that 85% of children use the net which represents a 30% increase over 2008 when the rate was 55%.
Argentine President Cristina Fernández de Kirchner and her Uruguayan counterpart José “Pepe” Mujica said on Wednesday they will be working to “re-channel” bilateral relations and will strictly abide the ruling of the Botnia paper mill case.
Uruguay and Argentine presidents will be meeting Wednesday in Buenos Aires to analyze the aftermath of the International Court of Justice judgement on the pulp mills controversy and hopefully find a way, to peacefully lift Argentine protestors’ pickets that have been blocking since 2006 a bridge linking the neighbouring countries.
More than ten investment banks, including Wells Fargo, HSBC, Merrill Lynch and Credit Suisse, will leave Argentina in the coming weeks, a Buenos Aires newspaper reported Monday.
Jazz Air Income Fund has agreed to invest 15 million US dollars for an indirect stake in Uruguay's flagship carrier, Pluna. The fund behind Air Canada's regional affiliate, Jazz Air, said that it will get a one-third, non-voting interest in Latin American Regional Aviation Holding Corp., which owns 75% of Pluna Lineas Aireas Uruguayas. The remaining 25% of Pluna is held by the government of Uruguay.