Wednesday, September 22nd 2010 - 07:42 UTC

Argentine files complaint against the country’s two largest newspapers

The Argentine government filed on Tuesday a formal complaint against the heads of the country's two biggest newspapers of complicity with a former military regime in crimes against humanity.

Hector Magnetto, managing director of Clarin and target of the Kirchner administration

The suit was the latest round in an escalating conflict between President Cristina Kirchner and the privately owned media groups, Clarin and La Nacion, over control of the country's only newsprint producer, Papel Prensa.

Kirchner released a 26,000-page report last month accusing Clarin and La Nacion of gaining control of Papel Prensa in 1976 with the backing of Argentina's military government, which ruled the country from 1976 to 1983.

“The Secretariat for Human Rights on Tuesday filed suit over the linkage between the illegitimate sale of Papel Prensa and crimes against humanity committed during the dictatorship,” it said in a statement.

Clarin and La Nacion issued a joint statement slamming the government, charging it is targeting media who do not back its policies.

“This new step confirms the institutional alarms both dailies have been sounding in terms of the government's intention to steamroll media which do not agree with official policy” the papers said in their joint statement.

The Kirchner government's attempt ”to link that purchase (of Papel Prensa) with crimes against humanity is a moral and legal aberration, utterly lacking any factual basis,“ they added.

The government argues that access to newsprint is in the general public interest, and that the deal in question was unfair.

The goal is ”to preserve equality of opportunity for small newspapers, which today pay 650 dollars a ton for newsprint while Papel Prensa sells it to Clarin and La Nacion for 500 dollars a ton” Juan Carlos Gullo, the vice chair of the lower house's committee for freedom of expression, said last month.

The newspapers, however, contend Kirchner's aim is to control the press by controlling the supply of newsprint. Clarin owns 49% of Papel Prensa, La Nacion 22% and the state 28%.

The lawsuit asked the courts to bring charges against Ernestina Herrera de Noble and Hector Magnetto, respectively the owner and managing director of Clarin, and Bartolome Mitre, the editor of La Nacion.

They also asked for charges to be filed against Sergio Jose, Marcos and Hugo Fernando Peralta Ramos, former owners of La Razon, which is now owned by Clarin. La Razon was part of the 1976 deal that gave the newspapers a controlling interest in Papel Prensa.

The same suit calls for charges against former dictators Jorge Videla and Emilio Massera, members of the military junta at the time of the sale of Papel Prensa, and of former economy minister Jose Martinez de Hoz.
 

9 comments Feed

Note: Comments do not reflect MercoPress’ opinions. They are the personal view of our users. We wish to keep this as open and unregulated as possible. However, rude or foul language, discriminative comments (based on ethnicity, religion, gender, nationality, sexual orientation or the sort), spamming or any other offensive or inappropriate behaviour will not be tolerated. Please report any inadequate posts to the editor. Comments must be in English. Comments should refer to article. Thank you.

1 fredbdc (#) Sep 22nd, 2010 - 11:27 am Report abuse
Just as they have with many other private companies they want to control the Ks will use the courts to legitimize driving them out of business so they can be nationalized or sold to one of their cronies.
Don't they realize the same thing will happen to them once they are out of power?
2 jerry (#) Sep 22nd, 2010 - 02:29 pm Report abuse
I believe that both Ks cannot see beyond the end of their noses. They may have some trouble with the courts this time, as these persons being chased are known internationally. Also, as the Ks have also recently thumbed those noses at the Argentina supreme court, there may be a judge who will not do what the Ks want.
3 atk357 (#) Sep 22nd, 2010 - 03:05 pm Report abuse
The moment the Ks try to control the press, they become a dictatorship. The press and freedom of expression should remain free. It is very clear, here in the USA. If the Kirchners don't like what they hear from the press..oh well, like H. Truman used to say: “If you don't like the heat....get out of the kitchen”.
Let's all hope they run out of luck in next year's elections.
4 jorge! (#) Sep 22nd, 2010 - 06:05 pm Report abuse
LOL. This is a weird news agency. People who don't know a sh*t about my country are the first ones to comment. Ridiculous!!!
5 Dassault Super Étendard (#) Sep 22nd, 2010 - 07:55 pm Report abuse
3 atk357

“Let's all hope they run out of luck in next year's elections.”

I really hope that. What i do know is that my vote will not be for them.
6 jerry (#) Sep 22nd, 2010 - 08:45 pm Report abuse
Why does not the State then give their 28% of the $650 to the smaller companies and they can pay less than the $500 of the two “big ones”?
7 axel arg (#) Sep 22nd, 2010 - 10:46 pm Report abuse
Moreover the shamefull and pathetic speculations of diferent politicians, and of media corporations, like them or not, there are planty of evidences that prouve the spurious acquisition of papel prensa, some day those sons of bitch had to pay, mabe now it's the moment.
8 fredbdc (#) Sep 23rd, 2010 - 12:27 pm Report abuse
Axel you are so gullible, do you read any opposition news? Very sad.

By acting the way they have, the Patagonians have painted themselves into a corner. After having defied the Supreme Court in such a blatant manner, obeying its orders by letting Eduardo Sosa get back his old job as prosecutor-general of Santa Cruz province would be an impossibly humiliating defeat for them. The then governor Néstor Kirchner booted Sosa out a decade and a half ago because he was showing an unhealthy interest in the fate of the huge amounts of oil money that were sloshing about, some of which, nasty people insinuated, was finding its way into the boss’s pocket. That particular billion-dollar question has yet to receive a satisfactory answer. Néstor would like his compatriots to stop asking it, but, unluckily for him, it will not go away any time soon.
www.buenosairesherald.com/BreakingNews/View/45985
9 axel arg (#) Sep 23rd, 2010 - 03:32 pm Report abuse
FREDBDC:
Of course i read opossition news, i read, la prensa (belonging to the most conserveness right, and oponent to the government), and read also, pagina 12 (supporter of the government, and leftist).
Untill this year, i rode clarin, but that newspaper is not reliable anymore, after the conflict that it had, and keep on having with government, i learn to read diferent points of view, not just one, like i had always done.
I know perfectly about the situation of sosa, what you omit, is that hes charge was eliminated from the constitution in 1994, this is why the governmnet argues that it can't comply the judgment of the court, in fact, i could hear from eugenio zafaroni (member of the suprem court), he said that the imperium of the court is already over to make comply the judgment of it, lest see what happens finally, anyway governor peralta could be acused because he didnt comply that judgment.
Regarding the reasons why sosa was removed, i have no idea about it, i prefer to hear the decitions of jthe justice, all the rest are just speculations, specially if they come from newspapers, or worst, if the came from you.

Commenting for this story is now closed.
If you have a Facebook account, become a fan and comment on our Facebook Page!

Advertisement

Get Email News Reports!

Get our news right on your inbox.
Subscribe Now!

Advertisement