Friday, April 8th 2011 - 23:52 UTC

Paul McCartney plays Chile: All You Need Is Love, but US$2,250 would help

British music icon Paul McCartney has confirmed that he will play the Estadio Nacional in Santiago on May 11 this year. It will be the star’s second show in Chile; he played the same venue in December 1993.

The second most expensive ticket package will set fans back 532,000 Chilean pesos, or 1,126 US dollars, which would by far qualify it as the most expensive concert ticket in Chile’s history.

The record was previously held by Mexican singer Luis Miguel, for 509 USD, followed by Madonna for 502 USD.

The most expensive ticket to see the former Beatle will cost a massive 2,250 USD, blowing all previous records out of the water. This ticket price will include front row seating, merchandise, and entry to the pre-show sound test.

The cheapest tickets, which go on sale at Falabella department stores and at Ticketmaster on Saturday at midnight, will cost around 60 USD, with the next most expensive costing 93 USD.

There will be both seating and standing tickets.

The former Beatles singer and guitarist will play 36 songs spanning his entire career, with 22 Beatles songs, 10 Wings songs and two songs by The Firemen and two songs from his solo career.

“Eleventh of May, Estadio Nacional, see you there, let’s rock” said “Macca” in a video broadcast on Chilevisión.

By Phil Locker - Santiago Times

1 Martin_Fierro (#) Apr 09th, 2011 - 04:36 am Report abuse
I hate this guy.
2 lsolde (#) Apr 09th, 2011 - 09:13 am Report abuse
Why, angry man Martin?
3 Duglas (#) Apr 09th, 2011 - 12:00 pm Report abuse
If he was playing in my front yard I'd lock the door and call the law about noise pollution. That is one of the richest no-talent people that ever lived. Him and the rest of those insects.
Right up there with the Stones and The Wha.......I mean Who.
Now if it was Trower or Jeff Beck or Jimmy Page. Different story.
Ya know what they say about opinions !
4 ElaineB (#) Apr 09th, 2011 - 04:29 pm Report abuse
I have to agree that Sir Paul has lost his singing voice. He was part of one of the greatest pop-writing duos of his time but whilst a good melody is timeless, performers are not.

Kinda OT but when I first arrived in Argentina I was astonished at how often I heard The Beatles (and other bands I had not heard for years) being played on the radio, in bars and even clubs. I once went our for a 'quick' lunch with a group of twentysomething people - at the time I was unprepared for an Argentine 'quick' lunch which lasted 8 hours including 4 hours of travel - and the entire journey was accompanied by Beatles soundtracks. They asked me if I ever listened to The Beatles and I replied that of course I did but maybe not for the last couple of decades. It is like a music time-warp when I travel to SoAm which is just fine because I know all the words to sing along.

Incidentally, I have seen many a young Argentine band play live and they produce some great and diverse music.
5 Zethee (#) Apr 09th, 2011 - 09:09 pm Report abuse
I met him when iwas working in camden when i was younger, didnt even know who he was lol, my mum went nuts when i told her i spoke to a band called “pink flod”
6 Martin_Fierro (#) Apr 09th, 2011 - 09:19 pm Report abuse
The Beatles, one of the most overrated bands in the history of music, and I cannot fathom why they play it so much in SA, it's simply beyond stupid.

And for those of you thinking 'He just hates all things British' ...Depeche Mode is one of my favorite bands.
7 Frase (#) Apr 10th, 2011 - 12:56 am Report abuse
In my humble opinion:

The Beatles < Depeche mode < King Crimson
8 Martin_Fierro (#) Apr 10th, 2011 - 01:05 am Report abuse
I never even heard of King Crimson
9 Zethee (#) Apr 10th, 2011 - 11:19 am Report abuse
^ Same. And i agree im not much of a Beatles fan but all the older people in family seem to love them.
10 Be serious (#) Apr 10th, 2011 - 12:33 pm Report abuse
Another Great Briton. Has any other nation Earth contributed as much to World Heritage, Culture and the Arts. We are truly blessed.
11 Frase (#) Apr 11th, 2011 - 02:51 am Report abuse
@ 8 & 9

Philistines! ;)
12 PiotrChróściel (#) Apr 11th, 2011 - 01:18 pm Report abuse
I want to remind all Macca fans that during Paul McCartney's first visit to Chile in 1993 this artist received the Order of Merit which is the highest order the foreigner can be awarded with in this country. McCartney was the first ever rock musician to receive this Chilean order.
13 Rectifying Madness (#) Apr 12th, 2011 - 05:41 pm Report abuse
The Beatles were indeed overrated but their influence on music was vast. They inspired so many other bands. And they inspired the whole Mod subculture.

3) The Stones were amazing. If I could travel through time the first thing I would do would be a visit to an early Rolling Stones gig. The Stones inspired the Rocker subculture as well.