Saturday, April 16th 2011 - 02:10 UTC

UK celebrates Sunday Malbec World Day, Argentina’s flagship grape variety

Wines of Argentina are gearing up for its first ever Malbec World Day, a global celebration of Argentina’s ‘hero’ grape variety, according to worldwide drinks industry news Harpers Wine & Spirit.

Meet the Wine Director’ dinner with Phil Crozier (Photo thepublican.com)

The aim of the event that will take place on April 17 is to introduce the quintessential Argentine grape to a wider audience giving wine novices and aficionados the opportunity to sample some of the best of Argentina’s flagship grape variety.

A range of events and tasting taking place across the UK that includes a large-scale Malbec promotion at Majestic’s 200 stores; a Malbec experience with authentic food; music and tango at the Sunday Times Wine Club Vintage Festival, a Malbec Tasting day at Harrods and independent merchant, Hennings will be running an in store promotion.

Gaucho Restaurants will also be marking Malbec World Day with complimentary mini Malbec Masterclasses for all guests dining at a Gaucho restaurant between April 17-22 as well as a series of events at their Gaucho Broadgate restaurant, including a ‘Meet the Wine Director’ dinner with Phil Crozier, and the inaugural Gaucho Broadgate Kilo Club dinner with Malbec wines to match each course.

Wines of Argentina are partnering with wineries around the world to create a series of unique ‘vintage 2011’ Malbec wines.

One of those is with UK producer, Chapel Down who will create an authentic Argentine Malbec with an English twist by crushing, pressing and bottling Malbec grapes which have been picked from Gaucho Restaurant’s vineyards in Mendoza.

The wine will then be aged by Chapel Down, ready to be released on Malbec World Day 2012 when it will be sold in Gaucho Restaurants, at Chapel Down and at selected retailers around the UK as a limited edition.

To celebrate the partnership and creation of this unique wine, Chapel Down will be inviting visitors on an exclusive tour of their vineyard and winery on Malbec World Day to explain how the unique wine will be made.

Chapel Down, chief executive officer, Frazer Thompson says: “We are delighted to be working with Gaucho and Wines of Argentina. At Chapel Down, we have become better winemakers by challenging ourselves to do extraordinary things. Working with, and learning from some world-class winemakers in Argentina will help us create something special: Argentine passion and English creativity and eccentricity”. (Harpers Wine & Spirit)

1 Think (#) Apr 16th, 2011 - 05:14 am Report abuse
Chuckle chuckle…….

Do you get the powerful subliminal, subverting the innocent Brutish minds?
No?..............Think!

Malbec wines of Argentina…………………………

Malwines of Argentina.

Do you get it now?

Our devious agent infiltrated at MI9-3/4 and MercoPress strikes again.
The Malwines ar ours, Ours, OUrs, OURs, OURS.

We’ll drink on that on Sunday.
Cheers.
2 Be serious (#) Apr 16th, 2011 - 09:31 am Report abuse
Don't like Argentine wine.
Chilean wine is so much better.
3 WestisBest (#) Apr 16th, 2011 - 11:12 am Report abuse
Trouble is that the British call them by their correct name....the Falkland Islands so I can't see it achieving much think.

Mind you given the nature of wine made from that 'flagship grape' Malbec they'll probably say you can keep the Malwines. Horrible, flabby stuff that it is.

;-)
4 JustinKuntz (#) Apr 16th, 2011 - 02:36 pm Report abuse
Actually for the uninitiated Argentine Malbec wine is a great discovery. Great with Roast Beef. Never had a bad bottle yet. It is also much cheaper than other wines of comparable quality.
5 Be serious (#) Apr 16th, 2011 - 03:32 pm Report abuse
Mal-evolent
Mal-icious
Mal-versation
Mal- ignant
Mal-adjusted
Mal-administration
Mal-content
Mal- nutrition
Mal-inger

Yeah its working. Bin that shit and on Sunday get a quality bottle of wine from Australia. Best wine in the World.
6 ron (#) Apr 16th, 2011 - 05:07 pm Report abuse
The best wine in the world. The same experts British and French say. There is nothing else to say. Malbec, Argentine wine.
7 Be serious (#) Apr 16th, 2011 - 05:32 pm Report abuse
6 British and French experts agreeing?
No Chance!!!!!
8 briton (#) Apr 16th, 2011 - 06:55 pm Report abuse
Like all argentine wine, they will just piss it down the toilet??
9 WestisBest (#) Apr 16th, 2011 - 07:24 pm Report abuse
Yeah right.....Ooooh look! a pig just flew past the window.

....best wine in the world...
LOL...my fucking arse off.
10 GeoffWard (#) Apr 16th, 2011 - 09:01 pm Report abuse
Whine, whine, wine, wine
11 xbarilox (#) Apr 16th, 2011 - 09:18 pm Report abuse
Keep Cristina away from bottles if you love your business.
12 Tte Estevez (#) Apr 17th, 2011 - 02:10 am Report abuse
Attention everibody: 'be serious, says:
Don't like Argentine wine.
Chilean wine is so much better.
Tomorrow,NOOO BODY buys Any Argentine Wines....
I do not like british wines,prefer the Argentines wines.
According with this report,Arg/Chile, quality are pretty even...
.ontheroadwithgrapeguy.blogspot.com/search/label/Wines%20of%20Argentina

Strange conclusion from a criminal....
13 Think (#) Apr 17th, 2011 - 08:05 am Report abuse
Argentina, Chile, Kent etc……... all fine new wine provinces.......................

But I would trade almost any wine in the world for a classic, well aged Barolo……………..
14 GeoffWard (#) Apr 17th, 2011 - 12:15 pm Report abuse
Think,
try the 1996 Gran Bussia Riserva, if you can still get hold of it.
15 Pirat-Hunter (#) Apr 17th, 2011 - 12:25 pm Report abuse
I am sorry for my ignorance but does Chile or UK make wine ?? I know they make good skirts, dresses and dolls but wine ? LOL grape juice maybe. you guys should try Trapiche, now that's a wine.
16 Be serious (#) Apr 17th, 2011 - 12:42 pm Report abuse
15 Chile makes some fantastic wines.
17 WestisBest (#) Apr 17th, 2011 - 01:51 pm Report abuse
the UK makes a little, pretty poxy wine so fair enough but Chile?? how the fuck could you not know about Chilean wine? Easy to say yours is the best in the world if you haven't even aknowledged the existence of the other great wine producing nations....next you'll be saying you don't know the French, Italian and Spanish make wine, not to mention Australia, New Zealand, USA, South Africa and so on. Ignoramus.
18 GeoffWard (#) Apr 17th, 2011 - 02:04 pm Report abuse
Apologies for selecting the '96 for you, Think, but the surrounding vintages are a bit pricey.
19 Think (#) Apr 17th, 2011 - 02:43 pm Report abuse
Apologies accepted...................

Anyway I'm very much out of the the rat race.
My days of bloc de foie gras and premier crus are over.

As I once wrote in here:

”I ………… retreat back into my ascetical patriarchal autumn, continuing my elucubrations about Heidegger’s Dasein concept after dining some rice from my beautifully imperfect Edo Hagi Chawan, washed down with some cold glacier water………………..”

en.mercopress.com/2010/12/27/drought-stricken-uruguay-praises-argentina-s-formidable-gesture
20 GeoffWard (#) Apr 17th, 2011 - 03:27 pm Report abuse
21 WestisBest (#) Apr 17th, 2011 - 05:27 pm Report abuse
Nice quote think, was this one of yours too?

“A census taker tried to test me once....I ate his liver with some fava beans and a nice chianti”
22 Think (#) Apr 17th, 2011 - 06:12 pm Report abuse
(21) Westi

Ohhhhhh…. Sir Anthony Hopkins...... Always liked him......

I would prefer, however, to be “confused” with that Kiwi bloke he so magnificently characterized………………….

”Nice to be home. Back in my shed.......”
23 GeoffWard (#) Apr 17th, 2011 - 06:40 pm Report abuse
Every time, just before entering the lecture theatre (Thinks: ) “Spectacles, testicles, watch, and wallet.” (= “check the zip”)
Also a 'Munro' quote.

“Nice to be home. Back in my shed... ”

Juxtaposes well with my best-of-all-time-last-lines:

“I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. . . .
Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. . . .
I've watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate.
. . . . All those ... moments will be lost in time, like tears...in rain.
. . . . Time to die.”
('Batty')
24 Think (#) Apr 17th, 2011 - 06:58 pm Report abuse
Interesting bloke, that Munro (for an Anglo)

BTW.............
Tank Girl……......
Blade Runner……..........

What kind of Neocon are you?
25 GeoffWard (#) Apr 18th, 2011 - 01:43 pm Report abuse
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Though wise men at their end know dark is right,
Because their words had forked no lightning they
Do not go gentle into that good night.

I am the walrus, I am forever the chamaeleon
26 Pheel (#) Apr 18th, 2011 - 01:55 pm Report abuse
Somebody with a taste of epics, I feel he is.

That lines of Blade Runner...I use to remember them figthing through organizational change processes in 90s...looking for workers´self-esteem amid chaos, defying tycoons and blind managers, competing against the Big Five consultants of doom.

They won.
27 GeoffWard (#) Apr 18th, 2011 - 06:38 pm Report abuse
I remember the same meetings . . .
Driving in, psyching-up to Wagner's Ride of the Valkerie . . . . thinking of the smell of napalm in the morning . . . . work-face ON . . . check zip . . . power-entrance . .

CP Snow understood the Corridors of Power, but played less well than he wrote.
28 Pheel (#) Apr 18th, 2011 - 07:38 pm Report abuse
I haven´t read C P Snow´s works yet, but “Strangers and Brothers” seems very interesting and symbolic for that environment I was referring to!
29 GeoffWard (#) Apr 18th, 2011 - 09:54 pm Report abuse
Yes, my favourite was a few books into the series - 'The Masters'.
Power-play in academia is definitely an acquired art matched only by the British Civil Service of the last generation.

I particularly enjoyed the 'The Two Cultures and the Scientific Revolution'. It led me towards the environmental sciences in my early career.

In his 1959 lecture, 'The Two Cultures,' C. P. Snow declared that Western intellectuals were “split into two polar groups,” literary and scientific, parted by “a gulf of mutual incomprehension.” Scientists knew little literature or history; literary people, little science.
Pretty much the same today, especially in politics & government.

I heard him reprise and update the lecture 15 years later when he inaugerated our Biosciences faculty building; later, as Chancellor, he sadly fell into his dotage before 'shuffling off this mortal coil'.
The only Chancellor, in my experience, who had to be woken up to hand out the degree certificates.
God bless him and keep him.
30 expat (#) Apr 19th, 2011 - 12:02 am Report abuse
when i am in argentina i drink chilean or uruguayan wine
much better
31 WestisBest (#) Apr 19th, 2011 - 01:37 am Report abuse

I'll drink to that!
32 lsolde (#) Apr 19th, 2011 - 09:25 am Report abuse
Brown Brother's Moscato
33 Zethee (#) Apr 19th, 2011 - 09:54 am Report abuse
Not a wine drinker myself. Drunk after like 2 glasses.
34 Tte Estevez (#) Apr 20th, 2011 - 02:13 am Report abuse
when i am in argentina i drink chilean or uruguayan wine
much better..really expat?
IThe Argentines wines,comes better off in world competition than those two coutries.....
Strange taste......
Argentina has a formidable weather for grape wines.Actually is the only wine country,that the grapes are located far from the sea...So it gives the distinctive character.Very unique....
35 expat (#) Apr 21st, 2011 - 01:58 am Report abuse
I understand you try show the best of your country ,but that doesnt change my taste ,when i am in Ba I ask chilean wine or sometimes uruguayan wine
36 Tte Estevez (#) Apr 21st, 2011 - 03:10 am Report abuse
Like I said,expat: Strange taste.99% of the people think otherwise.You are entitled to your opinion,which,unfortunately for you,if you ask people,who knows about wines and are not Argentinians,think otherwise....
37 expat (#) Apr 22nd, 2011 - 11:27 am Report abuse
Thats right,I belong to the 1 % people who have a diffeent taste,the same happens with the women ,many men think argentine women are the most beatiful of the world,I prefer brazilian women, most of the argentine women are histerical
38 Tte Estevez (#) Apr 22nd, 2011 - 09:23 pm Report abuse
Good for you expat! Are you a divorcee of an Argentine woman? Because,my wife is Argentine and I think she is the greatest woman in the world!
Saludos!