Uruguay condemns statements denying Holocaust by Iran ambassador
Uruguay has condemned statements denying the Holocaust made by Iran's ambassador in Montevideo Hojatollah Soltani
Foreign Affairs minister Luis Almagro called in an official from the Iranian Embassy on July 29 to condemn the statements made earlier in the week. The ministry also released a statement calling the Holocaust an undeniable historic event, according to the World Jewish Congress.
Iranian Ambassador Hojatollah Soltani had said during a public meeting that “World War II began in 1939 and ended in 1945. It is said that during that war the Nazis killed 2 million, 4 million, 6 million ... there are different figures on the Jews’ news. This was named a 'Holocaust,' and Israel is using this issue to present itself to the world as a victim and asking for economic and political support from some countries in Europe.
During the question-and-answer portion of the program, Soltani said that Maybe some people died, some were murdered, I don’t know, maybe thousands of Jews. But that figure of 2 million, 4 million, 6 million…that is a lie according to some European historians who have submitted documents.”
Soltani also called Israel's actions toward the Palestinians the current Holocaust.
Uruguayan Foreign Minister Luis Almagro told the Iranian embassy official that Jewish Holocaust survivors still live in Uruguay. He also said that diplomatic and trade relations with Iran would not change over the incident, according to the WJC.