Thursday, October 25th 2012 - 23:51 UTC

GM to invest 450m in Argentina to manufacture a global Chevy vehicle

General Motors (GM) will invest 450m dollars to manufacture a new global Chevy vehicle at its Rosario Automotive Complex in Argentina. The investment will be made between 2013 and 2015 at the Rosario facility, which produced more than 136,000 vehicles in 2011.

CEO Akerson with Cristina Fernandez at Casa Rosada

The announcement was made following a meeting at Government House of GM CEO Dan Akerson with President Cristina Fernandez. Under the code name Project Phoenix, GM will manufacture a global platform car exclusive for Mercosur and the region.

The project means GM Argentina will add new vehicles for export as well as refurbish Chevrolet's vehicle portfolio for domestic customers and dealers.

“We are pleased to be making this investment in Argentina, which remains a very important market for us,” GM Chairman and CEO Akerson said in a statement.

“We have a long, proud history here dating to 1925 and our latest investment is certainly good news for our GM Argentina employees, our extensive dealer and supplier network and the local economy”, he added.

CEO Akerson headed a delegation that included GM manager for South America, Jaime Ardila; Public Affairs and Communications Vice President Selim Bingolo; GM Argentina president Isela Costantini plus the chair of the metal workers union Ricardo Pignanelli.

Cristina Fernandez met the GM delegation with Economy minister Hernan Lorenzino; Secretary of Industry, Javier Rando and Industry cabinet chief Andrea Bovris represented Minister Debora Giorgi.

“This new model to be based on a global platform will run in addition to the models we are currently manufacturing in our plant and will allow us to supply the regional and domestic market with even more high-quality, high value Chevrolet products”, said GM Argentina Ms Costantini.

1 Guzz (#) Oct 25th, 2012 - 11:53 pm Report abuse
;)
2 briton (#) Oct 26th, 2012 - 12:22 am Report abuse
slave labour, cheap wages,

use them as you used others.
3 Steveu (#) Oct 26th, 2012 - 12:36 am Report abuse
GM are complete b******** IMO

I recommend “Roger and Me” - a film by Michael Moore (I know he's not everyone's favourite) which was made in the 90's. Since then Mexico has become a more expensive place to do business so it's a case of Karma.

My feeling is that is that it is “caveat emptor” but if they lose their shirt on this deal and CFK “does a Repsol” on them they can't say that they didn't consider the risk.
4 yankeeboy (#) Oct 26th, 2012 - 12:50 am Report abuse
CFK loves to announce things that will never happen.

If GM & Ford aren't allowed to move their profits back to the USA they will pull out next year and move mfg to Brazil.
5 Ayayay (#) Oct 26th, 2012 - 01:10 am Report abuse
I hope a U.S. & Argentina thing works out (:
6 Giorgio_O._Tsoukalos (#) Oct 26th, 2012 - 01:31 am Report abuse
So who here was the guy that bid 780K US$ to fornicate a “virgin” Brazilian broad (great body, fugly face).

Since I know for a fact everyone here is a millionaire world traveler, and also a virgin, I'm trying to guess.

Was it you ChrisR (since you are retired you prob have a stash, and want to get it done before senility sinks in)... maybe Yankeeboy? You take weekend trips to London, Paris, Milan, and Dubai... according to the news the sexual act will be on a plane, so is it you?

Maybe Conqueror. He probably put his life up on Ebay for bids, promising slavery for the rest of his life if someone could lend him the money... at least he'll get an hour of pleasure for a life of misery.

How about any of our other Brit aristocrats here, all full of pounds and wealthy, as I've been constantly told by them. Was it one of you? Clyde? Lepricon? Teaboy? Troy Tempest?

Maybe it one of our Canadian guests...

Or who knows, maybe the Falklanders that lie athwart this forum. Now that they are multimillionaries, they may want to change habits and do it with women for a change.

Anyway... neat deal for both sides.
7 Marcos Alejandro (#) Oct 26th, 2012 - 04:13 am Report abuse
4 yankeeboyFredB.
This Bud's for You.

Union Sundown by Bob Dylan

Well, my shoes, they come from Singapore
My flashlight’s from Taiwan
My tablecloth’s from Malaysia
My belt buckle’s from the Amazon
You know, this shirt I wear comes from the Philippines
And the car I drive is a Chevrolet
It was put together down in Argentina
By a guy makin’ thirty cents a day
(NOT ANYMORE)
Well, it’s sundown on the union
And what’s made in the U.S.A.
Sure was a good idea
’Til greed got in the way ♪ ♫ ♬

General Motors (GM) will invest 450m dollars in Argentina not in DC Fred.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRayUWkKX50
8 mastershakejb (#) Oct 26th, 2012 - 06:07 am Report abuse
Shoes made abroad, but designed by US companies (like Nike)
Any GOOD flashlight is made with Cree LED, which is US company, but the rest of the body is made and assembled abroad
Belt buckle probly designed by US company/label, shirt too
Car is designed by Chevy US company, no Arg company will ever design a car worth more than 50 dollars, ever
Marcos typing on either an Intel or AMD computer right now, both of which are American, and using the internet: an American invention
Marcos typing in English, a British/American language
9 Think (#) Oct 26th, 2012 - 06:07 am Report abuse
(7) Marcos Alejandro

!!! Heavy Dylan Vibes, Dude !!!
Never noticed the “Argentina “ verse before….......

Here’s, just for you....., some more “Heavy Vibes” from another Heavy Norteamericano…
( Incidentally, Robert Zimmerman called this record: “Best of the Year” :-)
www.youtube.com/watch?v=Igvhvsj7oKg
10 Troy Tempest (#) Oct 26th, 2012 - 06:15 am Report abuse
@6 Giorgio O T

OFF-TOPIC - what does this have to do with manufacturing GM cars in Argentina ???

MODERATOR - please remove this offensive unrelated post.
11 Think (#) Oct 26th, 2012 - 06:58 am Report abuse
(10) Troy Tempest
Stop being such an hypocrite....
You are supposed to be a “British Super-Hero”....

If you want to denounce somebody why don’t you start with “Captain Poppy”, “Britninja” or “ChrisR” ????

Just this week, I have noticed some of their comments that clearly fall into the realm of British, American and Argentinean Anti-Terrorist legislation.

Two crystal clear calls to assassinate a woman..., the current President of Argentina….

Those “Gentlemen” better remember that they are “Registered Users” and that their IP’s are “safely” stored in an Uruguayan server….
Many a Muslim Fundamentalist is being charged for much more “Innocent” comments on the Internet……

If anybodydoesn't understand my bad Engrish..... and wants to judge for themselves....., just read below……:
(26) Captain Poppy
”….I really can't understand the military sitting back and taking this…... They must have someone that can use a Barret or have the equiv(a)lent……”
en.mercopress.com/2012/10/19/argentina-s-flagship-trapped-in-ghana-by-creditors-with-no-political-solution-in-sight
(1) Britninja
”Oh dear, one more reason for Turkeyneck to froth at the mouth - they'll have to put her down at this rate.”
(3) ChrisR
” @1 I bags the pistol, it will only take one cartridge.!
I will even do it free of charge…...…”
en.mercopress.com/2012/10/25/reflections-from-our-visit-to-the-falkland-islands
G ood Ol' Anglo Humor and Fun ???
I don’t “Think” so……
12 KFC de Pollo (#) Oct 26th, 2012 - 07:04 am Report abuse
@4 is correct
13 Guzz (#) Oct 26th, 2012 - 07:23 am Report abuse
He'd better be, he promised his cult that Argentina would be gone by late November, now his very own GM is abandoning US employees to build a plant in Argentina...
14 JuanGabriel (#) Oct 26th, 2012 - 09:37 am Report abuse
GM was in danger of needing another bailout the last I saw, they are joining CFK in hoping the Obama wins the election.
15 DanyBerger (#) Oct 26th, 2012 - 10:33 am Report abuse
And still no investment in US or UK...

Sad, very sad...

I am really starting to feel bad for these poor people none can be so dumbass in these world.

The Amexicans saved US carmakers and they invest elsewhere but US.

Mohammeds with cockney accent saved Banks and they are moving and investing capital elsewhere but UK.

Its not that something is so wrong in the little heads of these miserable plebs?

Should we blame them for been so ignorant and with no brain at all?

I guess not, we the people that have been so lucky to enjoy high standard of living and good education should show some compassion for the unfortunate Amexicans and Mohameds wCA that couldn’t have access to the same things because they could not afford it.
16 yankeeboy (#) Oct 26th, 2012 - 12:08 pm Report abuse
13. Gone, hard for a country to disappear so I am pretty sure I never said that, but to refresh your feeble mind, I have been saying 10/1 peso and/or/or both Patacones by Dec.

Now the provinces are saying they won't pay U$ to Int'l holders either.

Another default in less than 8 yrs now we will wait for CFK to follow.

It's not just me saying this either:
“As the parallel market grows, each day you have more pesos outside of the formal economy,” Ritondale said. “If bank rates aren’t raised, you’re going to see the black market exchange rate shoot up.”

www.businessweek.com/news/2012-10-26/pesos-go-underground-as-dollar-ban-backfires-argentina-
17 Guzz (#) Oct 26th, 2012 - 12:22 pm Report abuse
History has shown us that in order to succeed as a nation, you need to do the opposite of what your economists say... Have a look at the world, you fool
18 GastonBaires (#) Oct 26th, 2012 - 12:47 pm Report abuse
This is only one article about foreign direct investment in Argentina but there's tons of companies that are investing here.
And its increasing very fast.
Meanwhile neighbor countries are having great congratulations about their politics and economies and at the same time are being F*up by the powerfull coutries, almost stealing their resourses and sending back the finish manufacturated product and stripping them of the opportunity to create their own industries and finally without being stocked and national industry. Guess who is gonna provide them with goods...
So argentina not only is having a market of 40 million people.
Also have, Chile, Uruguay, Paraguay and Bolivia.
Have a good day!
19 Britninja (#) Oct 26th, 2012 - 12:48 pm Report abuse
@11 Bless, you're very melodramatic. Actually I wasn't advocating assassination, just comparing your leader to a rabid old mutt. :) As I've said before, no one creates more entertainment than Turkeyneck - imagine how boring the website comments section would be if you actually had a sane, rational person with sensible policies in charge of Argentina - yawn.
20 yankeeboy (#) Oct 26th, 2012 - 12:49 pm Report abuse
Guzz you say the stupidest things. That statement makes no sense whatsoever.
I can look at the world and see that over the last 100yrs the large countries that tried to emulate the USA have done much better than those that have tried another path.
Argentina and it's “3rd Way” is the perfect example.
Perfect.
21 Hook (#) Oct 26th, 2012 - 01:21 pm Report abuse
they are making the new pedal version for Argentinian market, just like Guzz wants it, ecologic and economic. It comes with a mate-holder and with extra loud honk-horn. No side indicators nor driving lights are needed. Bumper is made extra hard to hit the “peaton” really good and blood stains can be cleaned while driving. The tires are made impossible to remove, so they can't be robbed every second night.
22 Think (#) Oct 26th, 2012 - 01:47 pm Report abuse
19 Britninja….
Let me put it this way….......:

26 Captain Mohammed
”….I really can't understand our mujahidden living in Britain sitting back and taking this (From David Cameron)…... They must have someone that can use a Barret or have the equivalent……”
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
”1 Britmujahidden
”Oh dear, one more reason for Ca-Moron to froth at the mouth - they'll have to put him down at this rate.”
3 AliR
” @1 I bags the pistol, it will only take one cartridge.!
I will even do it free of charge……”
en.mercopress.com/2012/10/25/reflections-from-our-visit-to-the-falkland-islands
How do you “Think” MI5 would react to such “humorous” blogging activity in the UK?
23 Giorgio_O._Tsoukalos (#) Oct 26th, 2012 - 01:56 pm Report abuse
So “ho” was it? Come on you resident brits, yanks, et al... you are all millionaries, has to be one of you.

www.clarin.com/sociedad/brasilena-anos-subasto-virginidad-dolares_0_797920460.html
24 Hook (#) Oct 26th, 2012 - 02:05 pm Report abuse
23@ that's one ugly bitch, looks like Argentinian.

Giorgio, why do you hate women so much? is it because you are a shrimp dick? women laugh at you when you lower your pants..
25 Idlehands (#) Oct 26th, 2012 - 02:35 pm Report abuse
It really does say a lot about Argentines that they believe you have to be a millionaire to have travelled extensively. Don't you get paid holidays in Argentina? Repeating it makes you sound like a Brazilian tribesman staring in wonder at a camcorder.

I suppose you would need to be a millionaire if you earn your salary and value your assets in pesos.
26 Hook (#) Oct 26th, 2012 - 02:49 pm Report abuse
I bet Giorgio is a virgin too..that's why he's so interested of this news..

some of the things Giorgio says: “Me, with all my vocabulary, rhetorical, informational, situational, debating, logical, and current event prowess.... none of that could achieve what I am achieving now with so little said”

...someone really thinks Giorgio could take a girl with him from bar with that blabber..haha, women hate guys who talk like that.,,they think they are insecure little weasels with little weasels
27 Britninja (#) Oct 26th, 2012 - 02:52 pm Report abuse
@22 Riiiight.... Well I guess if posters on here are members of an nefarious gang of international assassins, then Pirat Hunter with his nuclear destruction fantasies must be a Bond villain! And you Think, you're not just a doddering old fart with too much time on his hands - you're the reincarnation of Sherlock Holmes! Amazing stuff. Maybe you should just ask Nurse to give you more of the green pills now ;)

@23 Um. the very first paragraph in your link says that the man is Japanese. I guess that's a new country to add to Tobi's List Of Crimson Boiling Hatred.
28 Think (#) Oct 26th, 2012 - 02:58 pm Report abuse
(25) Idlehands

You are quite out of touch, matey.........
Last time I was in the jungle (and that's quite a while ago) one of the indians mocked me bulky GPS cause it only used four satellites for trilateration .....
His sleek new one used eight...........
29 Hook (#) Oct 26th, 2012 - 03:20 pm Report abuse
yankee@ could it be GM has all that money trapped inside Argentina and they don't know what to do with it, so they took the risk to expand their factory in the hope that CFK will go away soon and that they could send the profits to US after years go by...

other option is CFK made some kind of special deal with them.
30 Giorgio_O._Tsoukalos (#) Oct 26th, 2012 - 03:49 pm Report abuse

Hook why do you torture animals, kick little children, and steal the wallets of the elderly?

And keep your gay fantasies to yourself. I respect gays, but no need to shove your proclivities to a heterosexual.

It says a lot about you that you have no education and further that you know nothing, and I mean nothing, about Argentina.

I don't hate the Japanese for that. My hatred only stems from geopolitical reasons.
31 Marcos Alejandro (#) Oct 26th, 2012 - 04:15 pm Report abuse
9 Think Great video, I am sure that yankeeboy enjoyed it as well :-)
32 Hook (#) Oct 26th, 2012 - 04:38 pm Report abuse
30@ what ever mister virgin....
33 ProRG_American (#) Oct 26th, 2012 - 04:55 pm Report abuse
GM always knows a winner! Tu Ruu Ruuu!!
34 Troy Tempest (#) Oct 26th, 2012 - 06:18 pm Report abuse
@07 M I A

Marcos and PRo ARG, for you, buds!

Union Sundown by Bob Dylan

Well, my shoes, they come from Singapore
My flashlight’s from Taiwan
My tablecloth’s from Malaysia
My belt buckle’s from the Amazon
You know, this shirt I wear comes from the Philippines
And the car I drive is a Chevrolet
It was put together down in Argentina
By a guy makin’ thirty cents a day
(COMING SOON TO ARGENTINA)
Well, it’s sundown on the union
And what’s made in the U.S.A.
Sure was a good idea
’Til CFK and greed got in the way ♪ ♫ ♬
35 reality check (#) Oct 26th, 2012 - 07:39 pm Report abuse
I suppose they could export these without fear of them being seized by those criminal bailiffs, after all the cars would belong to Chevrolet, don't they? Just a thought.
36 ChrisR (#) Oct 26th, 2012 - 08:18 pm Report abuse
@11 & 22 I don’t Think aka 'The Chief Jerk'.

You really do me an injustice.

Do you think I would demean myself to enter that cesspit of a country to pull you lot out of the shit by topping TMBOA? When you lot of jerk-offs can’t do it for yourself.

No chance.

Get yourselves out of your own mire, if you dare or are you bunch of cowards worried somebody worse will take over? Like the Trollie Dolly or Timidman?

BTW. How are the policia in Chubut? Great video on Clarin. My Spanish Teacher has given me a list of Argentine TV channels to watch so that I can AVOID making the same mistakes as they do when they speak.

Ha, ha, ha.

What a jerk.
37 Hook (#) Oct 26th, 2012 - 10:47 pm Report abuse
www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-20099082

like i said earlier in the other forum, everything made in Argentina is crap waiting to collapse..
38 GastonBaires (#) Oct 27th, 2012 - 10:45 am Report abuse
Yes everything is crap, that’s why we are producing more and more and replacing everything imported.
What we really want is to be like the Chile hahahaha or even more, to the UK!
39 briton the arse (#) Oct 28th, 2012 - 08:35 pm Report abuse
@37 Hookie
still waiting to meet you in the USA to hit your head and make it sping 100 times,,,,,,,:)
lol
40 Troy Tempest (#) Oct 28th, 2012 - 09:40 pm Report abuse
@39 Sussie USA

“hey, try to meet me in the USA if you are a real USA citizen.
I can hit your head and make it spin more than 100 times!”

Everyone else on here is having a proper intellectual exchange, right or wrong.

You, however, just make idle threats and taunts like a schoolyard bully, right?

Do you really want us to find you, you meant what you said, right?

Tell you what, if you really live in the USA, make it easy for us.

You still insist you live in Tempe, correct?

You can show us you do:

Go to a recognisable landmark in Tempe, Tempe City Hall, you can't miss it.
Take a picture of yourself (face obscured if you like) holding this week's East Valley Tribune.

Open a PhotoBucket account under a fake name (Sussie??) and post the picture.

Give us the link on Mercopress, then we'll know you are really in the USA.

If you choose not to do this, we can assume you having lying all this time. Not unexpected, I grant you.

Can't wait for the excuses...

How is your Papi??
41 ProRG_American (#) Oct 29th, 2012 - 11:43 pm Report abuse
As much gut churning as this news will cause our abnormal participants, this is only the tip of the Iceberg. 2013 will be a bright, prosperous, growing year for Mercosur.
42 British_Kirchnerist (#) Nov 03rd, 2012 - 07:08 pm Report abuse
#36 “you bunch of cowards worried somebody worse will take over? Like the Trollie Dolly or Timidman?”

Either of them or Cristina again would be great =)

#41 Amen!