Wednesday, November 14th 2012 - 07:05 UTC

Argentines can expect a ‘salt-less’ summer when they turn out to the Atlantic coast

An estimated 20.000 restaurants, hotels and fast food places in the province of Buenos Aires Atlantic beaches have agreed to eliminate salt from tables as part of a campaign to help combat the excess consumption of sodium and related diseases such as high blood pressure and cerebrovascular accidents, CVA

Basking in the sun next to beautiful girls but not salt please

The agreement was signed by the Province of Buenos Aires Ministry of Health and the Tourism Secretary with the Hotel-Gastronomy Business Federation and follows similar actions with the Tourism, Hotel and Gastronomy Workers Union and the Argentine Bakeries Federation, to promote the rational use of salt.

Alejandro Collia, provincial Health Minister said that “nine out of ten hyper-tense can improve their condition if they lower the consumption of salt, if they practice sports regularly and keep to the appropriate body weight”.

He added that the rational use of salt in all gastronomy outlets will be supported in all Buenos Aires province districts with abundant literature on how to prevent high-blood pressure, “it is a silent illness which demands permanent controls”.

“We believe this is the right moment to launch the campaign in the main tourism destinations, because that is when people arrive to rest and are more permeable to prevention messages”, said Collia.

The World Health Organization recommends no more than five grams per day, “however in Argentina consumption is double that volume and this helps explain to a great extent why high blood pressure is one of the main causes of cerebro-vascular accidents, heart attacks and death”, pointed out the minister.

Collia said that the gastronomy and hotels federation has 17 affiliates in the province with over 20.000 businesses, hotels, restaurants, “so we can expect the elimination of salt-shakers should be extensive to that number of members” along the Atlantic coast, when millions of Argentines take to the beaches.

1 ElaineB (#) Nov 14th, 2012 - 01:23 pm Report abuse
This is interesting but I never noticed too much salt in the food in Argentina. However, much as I love Chile, they really do over-salt the food ........ and then add more...and more. It is a running joke with my friends there.
2 wesley mouch (#) Nov 14th, 2012 - 01:33 pm Report abuse
Actually salt has no effect on blood pressure recent meta-analysis shows. This edict is probably from CFK's quack physicians who misdiagnosed her as having thyroid cancer.
3 ptolemy (#) Nov 14th, 2012 - 01:42 pm Report abuse
They use a very finely ground salt here,..too fine. You can barely taste it. Personally, I use the coarse grind. It makes me use less because I can taste it. On another subject, ..like the pic for article.
4 gustbury (#) Nov 14th, 2012 - 01:49 pm Report abuse
Argentine girls..............mmm!!!Who cares salt!!
5 GFace (#) Nov 14th, 2012 - 02:06 pm Report abuse
I used to be a major salt-aholic and have serious disagreements with Argentine foreign policy but banning salt is a crime. Also it may chase all those cute girls off the beach. I just don't want to risk the “correlation” being “causal.”
6 ElaineB (#) Nov 14th, 2012 - 02:42 pm Report abuse
You can be very ill by not having enough salt in your body. I just don't understand the banning. @5 I agree, they can advise but why ban?
7 Boovis (#) Nov 14th, 2012 - 02:52 pm Report abuse
Those are fakies.
8 wesley mouch (#) Nov 14th, 2012 - 03:25 pm Report abuse
Maybe the Argentine Health authorities should ban boob jobs. Big breasts are distracting and many cause auto accidents.
9 Boovis (#) Nov 14th, 2012 - 03:33 pm Report abuse
At least you have something to cushion you from the steering wheel on impact.
10 Ayayay (#) Nov 14th, 2012 - 04:37 pm Report abuse
@6 I completely agree. Only a small percentage of the population is salt sensitive for hypertension.

Vegetarians often like added salt. I carry a mini shaker because two health food store delis around here don't have.
11 toooldtodieyoung (#) Nov 14th, 2012 - 06:25 pm Report abuse
4 gustbury

Mine's the one on the left!!

You just show where she is and I'll do my bit for Uk / Argentine relations!!!
12 MistyThink (#) Nov 14th, 2012 - 06:35 pm Report abuse
Of course not bizarre that Mata Hari jumped into to write 2 comments when she saw tide and bodies.
13 ProRG_American (#) Nov 14th, 2012 - 07:06 pm Report abuse
Dang those Argentine women are so darn sexy! Whoooo!
I hope that salt reduction will not affect their look.
Another example of a humaine government looking after the well being of its people.
14 MistyThink (#) Nov 14th, 2012 - 07:49 pm Report abuse
Brasilians are more sexier
15 toooldtodieyoung (#) Nov 14th, 2012 - 07:50 pm Report abuse
9 Boovis

That one on the right? In the red? I've got a bigger cleavage than her.............
16 ProRG_American (#) Nov 14th, 2012 - 10:02 pm Report abuse
14 MistyThink (#) “Brasilians are more sexier”

You won't get me to go there.
17 gustbury (#) Nov 15th, 2012 - 12:48 pm Report abuse
11@ share your opinion.I had an English girlfriend, Lucy .. beautifu shel! :)
18 A.J.Rimmer (#) Nov 15th, 2012 - 03:59 pm Report abuse
@6, not having enough salt in your body can lead to coma. You need salt as a conductive agent for muscles and nervous system. Without salt, you body would basically shut down as electrical signals from the brain will not reach there respective targets.

The human body can not produce salt, so banning salt is quite frankly idiotic on many levels. I wonder how long it will be before people are rushed into hospital.

On another note, nice picture.
19 TipsyThink (#) Nov 15th, 2012 - 09:23 pm Report abuse

thén some comméñtátors here do need moré salt !
20 British_Kirchnerist (#) Nov 16th, 2012 - 08:09 pm Report abuse
Good move, I don't take much salt myself =)

As for the girls, OK bodies but the faces aren't up to much in my honest opinion. Cristina is still far more radiant than any of them =)
21 isolda (#) Nov 16th, 2012 - 08:28 pm Report abuse
brazilians women are from Portugal and Africa ....yakkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk!
22 Axience (#) Nov 21st, 2012 - 11:46 am Report abuse
Are you using a messenger such as Skype, Whatsapp, ooVoo etc.? Participate in a survey and win iPad (mini)! This is not spam – you can contact us directly: Gleb Zhukov at gleb.zhukov@axience.com.

Please follow the link to sign-up for the survey: www.surveymonkey.com/s/5KC7T33