Saturday, November 24th 2012 - 15:28 UTC

Brazilian Navy has its first woman two-star Rear Admiral

The Brazilian navy has its first woman two-star Rear Admiral, following the signing on Friday by President Dilma Rousseff of her promotion to the rank of Officer General of the Navy.

Dalva Maria Carvalho Mendes joined in 1981 when the Brazilian Navy was open to women

Dalva Maria Carvalho Mendes was born in Rio do Janeiro in 1956 and joined the Navy in 1981 with the first class of the Navy’s Reserve Auxiliary Women’s Corps. From 1981 to 2009 the now Rear Admiral worked at the Marcilio Dias Hospital where she reached the post of Deputy Director.

Currently she is Director of the Naval Clinic Our Lady of Glory. Dalva is a certified anaesthetist from the Brazilian Anaesthetics Society and has also been awarded the Naval Merit Order; the Tamandaré Merit Order and the Military Medal Gold class.

Since 1980 when the Brazilian navy opened its doors to women, several legal advances enabled women to be further involved in the service and currently can participate in the Engineers Corp; the Health Corps; in Maintenance and Technical divisions; in the Auxiliary Corps; the music division and with the Marines.

1 Captain Poppy (#) Nov 24th, 2012 - 06:05 pm Report abuse
welcome to the modern world......any women generals?
2 slattzzz (#) Nov 24th, 2012 - 08:00 pm Report abuse
my last boss in Faslane was a woman Commodore Caroline Strait i/c of Faslane / Coulport Naval Base very clever woman
3 briton (#) Nov 24th, 2012 - 08:17 pm Report abuse
woman soldiers
woman sailors
women pilots.

what would we do without them.
4 reality check (#) Nov 25th, 2012 - 02:07 am Report abuse
Yes they are great, but when the shit starts flying, I defy any of you to not worry about them to the detrement of the mission. I am not being sexist, I am being truthful.
5 War Monkey (#) Nov 25th, 2012 - 02:57 am Report abuse
@4 reality check (#)
Nov 25th, 2012 - 02:07 am

Not trying to be politically correct or ought but the women will be fine. The Israelis found however that the men worried so much about the women that mission effectiveness was often compromised. Seeing as men always will make up the bulk of a fighting force this in itself is a major factor.

However, the girls on the ground in Afghan', the medics, do well enough. The boys do worry about them though and it has to be taken into consideration. The balance has to be met and it will always be taken into consideration. These things take time.
6 Captain Poppy (#) Nov 25th, 2012 - 03:37 am Report abuse
#4 as an ex infantryman, I agree with you in resect of seeing war up close and personal. But when it comes to warfare via seaborne missiles, dropping JDAMs and JSOWs from 55,000 ft, it matters little whether the strength in the finger cam from a male or female. Women in subs, ships.......doesn't matter.
Though I must say the women in the Israeli military can make some men constipated.
7 reality check (#) Nov 25th, 2012 - 04:10 am Report abuse
Cap
How about me then. Thirteen years in the military. Twenty two years a cop.

Recently we lost two girls, lured to a false report of a burglary and assaninated in the street by a man already wanted for two murders. He then walked down the road to the nearest polce station and surrendered himself.
The papeers said that one of the girls was really brave, because has the cunt was blowing her to pieces with a hand grenade and a 9mm pistol, she managed to pull her pepper spray fom her belt.

Made me cry, damn right it did, three months later I'm typing this and I'm still fucking crying and I'm a 35 year vet!

I suppose you would say we should carry guns. no thanks.
8 British_Kirchnerist (#) Nov 25th, 2012 - 08:22 am Report abuse
Good news =)

#1 The commander in chief of the Argentine armed forces is a woman =)
9 stick up your junta (#) Nov 25th, 2012 - 09:33 am Report abuse
Bet she cant reverse the ship in port ;-)
10 LEPRecon (#) Nov 25th, 2012 - 01:06 pm Report abuse
@8 BK

We're talking about real military people here not symbolic ones.

If you really were British, you would know that the Commander in Chief of the British Armed Forces has been a woman since 1952, namely Her Majesty the Queen.

And unlike you're beloved CFK, Her Majesty the Queen served in the ATS in WW2, so she actually has some military experience under her belt.

@4 - RC

Women have been at the sharp pointy end since 2003. Not only medics, but Combat Logistic Patrols are made up of loggies, a large percentage of them women, who have had to fight through numerous ambushes and navigate IED's to ensure that the supplies get through to the blokes on the ground.

Since 2003, the RAMC have lost 2 female medics KIA (most recently last month), as well as a number of male medics.

It's sad, but the loss of the medics, regardless of their gender, is hard for any of the teeth arms to bear.

There has certainly been a change in perceptions of females in the military since 2001. The people who make the biggest deal out of a women being KIA is the media. To everyone serving, they've lost a colleague and friend regardless of their gender.

Does it make their male colleagues act differently? I would suggest that it probably did at the start, but women are now working along side them 24/7, and they've become just 'one of the guys'.

@9 - stick up your junta

”Bet she cant reverse the ship in port ;-)” LMFAO

Bet you can't either! LOL

I know I wouldn't be able to, I'd be too busy being sick over the side. I'm like a fine wine, I don't travel well.
11 slattzzz (#) Nov 25th, 2012 - 03:28 pm Report abuse
lep sea sickness is all in the mind.......................or toilet lol
12 Captain Poppy (#) Nov 25th, 2012 - 03:49 pm Report abuse
My family has been cops in NYC sine 1915.....so what's your point? People that see death everyday deal with it differently. I assume to cry for you fellow policeMAN as well, there's nothiing wrong with feelings. However I can hardly believe that they died because they are women and men would not have been killed. You assume to much of what I will say. PoliceMEN get killed everyday as do combat men. Police are in the line of fire everyday ....I respect what they do. My country is constitutionally ingrained with guns and we as a country was born and will die with guns because we happen to belief that the world is a very violent place because it is run by the nastiest animal of them all......Humans. However I do think you need to reread my post regarding women in the military, some of the best medivacs are women. Women have been catipulting off our carriers for quite some time now.
13 LEPRecon (#) Nov 25th, 2012 - 04:18 pm Report abuse
@11 slattzzz

Or all over the deck, the side of the ship, the captains feet, the life boats. You get the picture, I'm sure!
14 briton (#) Nov 25th, 2012 - 08:01 pm Report abuse
We even have woman in space,
Woman in parliament
Women as prime minister
And women in charge
HM Queen
…………….
Equal in all things ..
15 Captain Poppy (#) Nov 25th, 2012 - 08:28 pm Report abuse
The Queen excellent example. Sperm is the only thing I put out of reach of a women.....lol
16 briton (#) Nov 25th, 2012 - 08:32 pm Report abuse
give it time,,give it time .lol.