Monday, November 26th 2012 - 23:18 UTC

Spain rejects talks offer from ETA and demands dissolution without conditions

Spain's government rejected an offer of talks from armed Basque separatists ETA and demanded the group dissolve itself without conditions, after ETA called for negotiations on prisoners and a weapons handover.

Minister Fernandez: “we don’t negotiate with a terrorist organization”

The group said on Saturday it was ready to discuss disbanding with France and Spain if certain conditions are met in a statement published on a Basque news site.

The ETA which last year said it had abandoned violence after a four-decade campaign for an independent homeland that claimed more than 800 lives, said one outstanding issue was the transfer of Basque prisoners to jails closer to home.

It wanted to discuss “formulas and timetables” to bring home prisoners and Basque political exiles; disarmament and the break-up of its armed structures; and the demobilisation of ETA members. The statement ran on Naiz.info, the website of the Basque newspaper Gara.

“The only statement we expect and demand is for its unconditional dissolution,” Interior Minister Jorge Fernandez Diaz told reporters on Sunday. “They know we have not negotiated and won't negotiate at all with a terrorist organisation.”

ETA said in the statement successful talks on these areas “would bring about a definitive end of the armed conflict”.

Until Saturday's statement, the group had refused to announce its dissolution and disarmament, as demanded by Spain and France. But weakened by a series of arrests in France and Spain in recent years, ETA said on Saturday it was ready to “listen to and analyse” proposals from Madrid and Paris.

The two governments would have a “precise knowledge” of its positions, it added. In its statement ETA said the process it was proposing would allow for “the end of the armed confrontation”.

ETA has been placed on a list of terrorist organisations by the United States and the European Union and has been blamed for the deaths of 829 people. Its last attack on Spanish soil was in August 2009.

 

5 comments Feed

Note: Comments do not reflect MercoPress’ opinions. They are the personal view of our users. We wish to keep this as open and unregulated as possible. However, rude or foul language, discriminative comments (based on ethnicity, religion, gender, nationality, sexual orientation or the sort), spamming or any other offensive or inappropriate behaviour will not be tolerated. Please report any inadequate posts to the editor. Comments must be in English. Comments should refer to article. Thank you.

1 Conqueror (#) Nov 27th, 2012 - 02:13 pm Report abuse
Oh well. I guess that means that ETA will be making its “point” again. France says nothing. Spain continues its imperialism.
2 Ayayay (#) Nov 27th, 2012 - 06:18 pm Report abuse
The Basque obviously have legitimate concerns. If they don't feel like talking to the ETA fine, but ask Basque separatists who aren't 'terrorists' to dialogue with Spain.
3 briton (#) Nov 27th, 2012 - 07:50 pm Report abuse
Spain like argentina still lives in the past..
4 Room237 (#) Nov 27th, 2012 - 08:20 pm Report abuse
That will work well, ignore them and they will just stop. Hmmm or engage with them and find a solution. Don't know which one is the best but I'd go with option two.
5 British_Kirchnerist (#) Nov 27th, 2012 - 09:43 pm Report abuse
So the PP are holding up the disbandmnet of ETA; I suppose it would cost their propaganda dearly to lose that bogeyman!

Commenting for this story is now closed.
If you have a Facebook account, become a fan and comment on our Facebook Page!

Advertisement

Get Email News Reports!

Get our news right on your inbox.
Subscribe Now!