Friday, February 15th 2013 - 18:48 UTC

Falklands issue collection of stamps to commemorate March Referendum

A collection of stamps to commemorate the Falkland Islands Referendum, due to take place on March 10 - 11, was released on Friday in Stanley. The four stamps have values of 3p, 40p, 75p and £1.76p. The colourful stamps show an image of a hand inserting a vote into a ballot box which carries a design displaying an outline of the Falkland Islands.

The accompanying souvenir sheet with a value of £3 consists of the same design but also shows the actual question in the border together with the statement “A peoples' right of self-determination is a fundamental modern democratic right”.

The stamps were designed by Andrew Robinson and the printer Cartor Security Printing with a lithography process.

At the March referendum Islanders will vote on their political status and future, an event that will be followed by observers from different countries and impressive media coverage.

1 MrFlagpole (#) Feb 15th, 2013 - 06:57 pm Report abuse
Nicely done.
2 reality check (#) Feb 15th, 2013 - 07:00 pm Report abuse
History in the making, only right it should be commemorated with a new issue of stamps.
3 Lou Spoo (#) Feb 15th, 2013 - 07:13 pm Report abuse
A nice touch.

Out of interest I'm intrigued as to what use a 3p stamp is. Perhaps an islander can explain?
4 Monkeymagic (#) Feb 15th, 2013 - 07:28 pm Report abuse
We should get these in the UK...
5 Joe Bloggs (#) Feb 15th, 2013 - 07:34 pm Report abuse
Smart move. Falklands stamps are highly regarded and highly sought after by collectors the world over.

I think I might just have to write CFK a letter.

3 Lou.
I also don't get the 3p one but Mrs Bloggs just dressed me down severely. Something about, “it's little wonder you don't know. You never post anything!” LOL! Guilty as charged! Something about parcels and older, lower value stamps apparently.
6 reality check (#) Feb 15th, 2013 - 07:37 pm Report abuse
@3Lou
I am not an islander, but I think it is so Argentine philatelists can afford one.
7 toooldtodieyoung (#) Feb 15th, 2013 - 08:10 pm Report abuse
Oh very nicely done.

Such subtlety is beyond KFC and her cronies, I very much doubt that they understand what is going on here.

Well done guys!!!!!!!
8 falklandlad (#) Feb 15th, 2013 - 08:23 pm Report abuse
Mr Think, can I mail you a first day cover. Mailing address required in advance though.
9 Think (#) Feb 15th, 2013 - 08:42 pm Report abuse
(8) falklandlad
Most obliged.....

El Think
P.O Box 118
Stanley, Falkland Islands
FIQQ 1ZZ
10 CaptainSilver (#) Feb 15th, 2013 - 08:45 pm Report abuse
Ignore Rg trolls
11 Doveoverdover (#) Feb 15th, 2013 - 08:51 pm Report abuse
OK, I will.
12 Lou Spoo (#) Feb 15th, 2013 - 09:37 pm Report abuse
@5 Joe

LOL. Admittedly it's been a while since I posted anything as well.

@6 RC

PMSL. Only if they club together!
13 Pirate Love (#) Feb 15th, 2013 - 09:42 pm Report abuse
good to see The Falklands stamping their authority over their destiny.
As for “malvinas claim” Returned to sender.
SELF-DETERMINATION......Signed...Sealed...DELIVERED!
14 Joe Bloggs (#) Feb 15th, 2013 - 09:50 pm Report abuse
12 Lou

It's funny how quickly We stopped doing some things. When was the last time you did any of these:
Used a phone book?
Had a film developed?
Used an overhead projector?
Used a floppy disc?

Anyway, it's an interesting idea with the stamps. Not the nicest Falklands stamps but not bad. It'll be interesting to see how they sell. Falklands stamps generally have a very high rate of return as an investment.
15 GFace (#) Feb 15th, 2013 - 10:08 pm Report abuse
A British “Stamp Act” that an American like me can actually like!

Enjoy your March!
16 CaptainSilver (#) Feb 15th, 2013 - 10:19 pm Report abuse
Of course Think=oxymoron with the emphasis on moron
Doveroverdover
Both Rg trolls, please ignore
17 Joe Bloggs (#) Feb 15th, 2013 - 10:22 pm Report abuse
16 Captain

LOL!
18 LEPRecon (#) Feb 15th, 2013 - 10:41 pm Report abuse

Both the same RG troll.

Jealous, angry, screwed.

But soon none of them will be able to post due the constant blackouts. And when the free government handouts dry up, so will the RG trolls.
19 Joe Bloggs (#) Feb 15th, 2013 - 10:42 pm Report abuse

LOL!
20 LEPRecon (#) Feb 15th, 2013 - 10:51 pm Report abuse
Nice stamps by the way.

I particularly like the theme - self-determination. :D

I also like the way the Falkland Islands Head of State is depicted, dignified, resplendent and subtle so as not to distract from the meaning of the stamps.

Nice colours too.
21 Anglotino (#) Feb 16th, 2013 - 03:08 am Report abuse
Ok so ignoring Suzie at 21 impersonating Conqueror, did anyone notice that Doveoverdover replied to CaptainSilver who was commenting on Think?

He seems to have made a hasty get away after forgetting which login he was using.

22 Gustbury (#) Feb 16th, 2013 - 03:54 am Report abuse
hahahaah totally ilegal like your ilegal and corrupt government!!
23 reality check (#) Feb 16th, 2013 - 08:24 am Report abuse
Gutsy
Stop stamping your feet!
24 Think (#) Feb 16th, 2013 - 09:25 am Report abuse
(21) Anglotino

You say.....:
“...did anyone notice that Doveoverdover replied to CaptainSilver who was commenting on Think?
Think/DoD remember to always check the name to the left of the comment box before pushing the blue button.”

I say....:
Let me explain to you, in easy terms the succession of events.....

1) At (10), Mr. CaptainSilver writes...:
“Ignore Rg trolls”

2) At (11) Mr. DoveoverDover replies:
“OK, I will.”………….. (Wittingly indicating that he ain't a Rg troll.)

Do you get it now?
You seem to have some challenges understanding plain English and comprehending basic humor......

If you harbor any hopes to study on a German University you will have to pull yourself together, laddie…. Requirements are pretty high in Deutschland, you know.... Even for Ozzie convicts….

PS…:
Always remember to “Think” before pushing the blue button.
25 surfer (#) Feb 16th, 2013 - 09:33 am Report abuse
Me thinks he doth protest too much....
26 lsolde (#) Feb 16th, 2013 - 10:28 am Report abuse
@25 surfer,
That's our Think, squirming & wriggling.
You gotta love old people! lol!
27 Joe Bloggs (#) Feb 16th, 2013 - 10:33 am Report abuse
25 & 26

PRT. Pre-referendum tension
28 LEPRecon (#) Feb 16th, 2013 - 10:48 am Report abuse
@24 - Think

When you've dug yourself into a hole, it's advisible to know when to stop digging. :D

As surfer said: You doth protest too much, Mr 'I don't' Think especially before pushing the blue button.
29 Anglotino (#) Feb 16th, 2013 - 11:01 am Report abuse
Me thinks he doth too!
30 Think (#) Feb 16th, 2013 - 11:15 am Report abuse
Tsk.. tsk...(tsk)

Definitely no “Deutsche Universitäts” material....
31 Conqueror (#) Feb 16th, 2013 - 12:34 pm Report abuse
@21 What's with the numbering and “impersonating”? Your comment is @21. Where's the “impersonation”? Is an “editor” removing comments completely?
@22 Please show us the relevant law, numbnuts!
@24 You're making an assumption. That dovey has any “wits”!
32 Anglotino (#) Feb 16th, 2013 - 12:41 pm Report abuse
Think. LOL. It's “deutsche Universität” or “deutsche Universitäten” - single or plural.

Du denkst aber ich weiß.

Pathetic!

@Conqueror. Yes Suzie has been impersonating you today with a zero in the name. I think this post said you'd been drinking.
33 Pete Bog (#) Feb 16th, 2013 - 03:24 pm Report abuse
“ilegal and corrupt government!!”

It's voted in democratically, therefore it's legitimate.
34 Malvinero1 (#) Feb 16th, 2013 - 04:17 pm Report abuse
Who care what the pirates brits are doing..MALVINAS ARGENTINAS
35 Think (#) Feb 16th, 2013 - 04:25 pm Report abuse
(32) Anglotino
You say...:

I say...:
Universitäts-(whatever) is absolutely correct, laddie.
German is a bit more complex than just singular and plural....
But what can be expected from an Ozzie?

OZZIE….:
An Ozzie is a person who still thinks Adidas ´button up´ pants are cool, they cannot dance and use beer in place of water.
They complain of Wogs being on welfare when the majority of people on welfare are indeed Ozzies.
If you are an Ozzie reading this……., well done for completing your highschool education.
Ozzies ancestors were convicts and not much has changed within their intellect or personality.
Ozzies are known for their terrible haircuts, putrid body odour and alcoholic parents.
They also constantly wear the same singlets, thongs and claim to be true Australians, when infact Australia belongs to the aboriginies.
So next time you see a skinny pimply faced broadmeadows red neck Ozzie...take a moment and pity these helpless retards...also...throw 20 cents to them so they can be happy and run to the nearest milk-bar to buy a single cigarette, usually a ´Horizon´ or ´Holiday´.
Ozzies also love to get bashed by lebos.........

www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=ozzie

Ach mein Gott, Du keiner OZZIE.
36 Joe Bloggs (#) Feb 16th, 2013 - 04:59 pm Report abuse

Anglotino must be getting under your skin judging by your level of personal attacks. Whatever you think makes us think you feel good.

How's the big plan to get your hands on our Falklands going Think? How's your 100% world support for the Malvinas claim looking? How's that embarrassing, unrecognised, unobserved referendum that won't mean anything (even though you're wetting your pants over it) going? How's all of your cruise ship blocking going? We seem to be getting our cruise ships.

How about that oil? You know, the stuff you can't decide about? One post it's not there. The next post it's not ours. Is Maximo's leadership a little dodgey? Can't he get his running sheets straightened out? Hardly surpriseing given his role models.

How are you finding Mercopress? You seem to be bitching a lot about it. Why don't you just stop reading it?

Try not pass your bitterness and twistedness onto your granchildren old man. Look in the mirrow and ask yourself if you want them to grow up like you. A priosner to a lost cause.

You should give us your real address. I'd love to post you a letter with some of those beautiful Falklands stamps on them. How long before your glorious CFK retaliates with another set of her own. What's the cost of posting a letter to the Falklands? In pesos I mean, not loss of pride.

Anyway old man. I hope this isn't all you've got because life's too short to spend losing all the time.
Chuckle chuckle.
37 Pete Bog (#) Feb 16th, 2013 - 06:32 pm Report abuse
I'm waiting for the FI to issue an accurate version of 1833 on their stamps and send a copy to Tinman-if that has not been done already.
38 Think (#) Feb 16th, 2013 - 07:03 pm Report abuse
(36) Joe Bloggs

You say...:

I say...:

Not really Joe..... I always try to help people to undestand Göthe's beautiful language better.

Else, I just use Anglotino's narcisism as a wall to play tennis.

What ”personal attacks“ are you talking about?

I just happen to ”Think“ that that ”Ozzie“ definition from Urbandictionary.com is funny... I'm sure your old pal, ”Mr. PominOz” would agree ;-)

Besides; your “siege mentality” is showing again,Joe....
Who, ever said anything about “100% world support for the Malvinas claim”?
We barely have 70-75%........

What is it with you Kelpers and my adress?
You are the third Bennie this week asking me for it....
Strange......
39 Joe Bloggs (#) Feb 16th, 2013 - 07:22 pm Report abuse

You hardly have 70- 75% huh? Whatever you think makes us think you feel good.

How do you think Timmerman and Castro are going generating that support? I think they're helping the Falklands cause almost as much as your glorious CFK.

I need your address so I can send you some of our lovely stamps. I already told you that. Why are you so slow on the uptake?

Chuckle chuckle (in a haughty manner)
Your disrespectful, ungrateful Kelper.
40 Think (#) Feb 16th, 2013 - 07:39 pm Report abuse
(39) Joe Bloggs

Joe........
Tell you what.......
You give me your adresss..... I give you my adress......
Deal?
41 Joe Bloggs (#) Feb 16th, 2013 - 07:57 pm Report abuse
Deal

PO Box
Stanley
Falkland Islands FIQQ 1ZZ
42 lsolde (#) Feb 16th, 2013 - 08:41 pm Report abuse
@35 Think,
You must be moving in different circles, Think.
Most of the Aussie men that l knew/know are decent hard-working family men.
Trust you to find the lower stratas of society. ;-)))
43 Joe Bloggs (#) Feb 16th, 2013 - 08:53 pm Report abuse

Think wouldn't know an Aussie man if one said “you bitter old man” to him.

Chuckle chuckle.
44 Think (#) Feb 16th, 2013 - 10:00 pm Report abuse
(41) Joe Bloggs

Tell you what, Joe......
You send that letter of yours to...:

Via San Michele, 75-79 - 16035 - Rapallo - GE - Italia
Att. El Think, Chubut, Argentina.

And I will get it.
Enjoy your googleing ;-)
45 Joe Bloggs (#) Feb 16th, 2013 - 10:23 pm Report abuse
I couldn't be less interested in what that address is for but if you send a letter addressed to Joe Bloggs, and use the info I gave you at 41, I will receive it. They all know who Joe Bloggs is at the post office.
46 Think (#) Feb 16th, 2013 - 10:50 pm Report abuse
(45) Joe Bloggs
You say...:
They all know who Joe Bloggs is at the post office.

I say...:
The same goes for the OdM headquarters.... Most know who El Think is...,
47 Marcelo Kohen (#) Feb 16th, 2013 - 11:23 pm Report abuse
These stamps will probably be the most significant thing that will remain after 11 March...
48 Anglotino (#) Feb 17th, 2013 - 03:23 am Report abuse
Think I see you can't resist.

You are under the assumption I am monolingual. Universitäts was not correct in your usage. You show your ignorance by continuing to claim it is correct. But considering your other pathetic attempts at German I am not surprised.

“Göthe's beautiful language” is probably why your German is so bad. I know GOETHE'S beautiful language**.
But the best was:
“Ach mein Gott, Du keiner OZZIE”

So other than missing a VERB which I assume was BIST (sein). You just said “YOU NO OZZIE”

Correct I'm an Aussie! Thanks for seeing it my way. Especially after your facile trolling attempt using the UrbanDictionary. If you actually knew anything about AUSSIES then you would laugh even more because you can tell who wrote it.

So thanks for the laugh.

“What can be expected from an Ozzie?”

Well you said I am not one, so you tell me! While you are doing that I will look for a large pink ostrich.

@Joe. Good morning. Another stinker here today.

I do indeed seem to be getting under Think's skin. You can see that his writing style changes quite markedly when he replies to me.

But he does seem a little rattle this weekend judging by his futile posts. Even more interesting that he accuses me of narcissism (which I can spell) when he signs off with EL Think. LMAO

In this article he degenerated to using the word “nigger” as much as possible-goo.gl/aQKpE
And on this article he had his arse handed back on a platter-
goo.gl/gS0Ah
He asked and duly received!

But I'm glad I entertain him. It probably helps take his mind off how much everyone's lack of respect and the alarming drop in his living standards.

I mean 70-75% support? What does he mean? Countries? That sounds a little difficult when 40% (77 of 193) of UN members are either in the EU or Commonwealth and recognise UK sovereignty or the right to self determination.
49 lsolde (#) Feb 17th, 2013 - 05:45 am Report abuse
@48 Anglotino,
Welcome to the forum mate.
l too, have crossed swords with señor Think in the past.
l have beat him in vocal jousts quite a few times, but reading your posts l have to admit that you are better at it than l am.
He is a lying, old, misogynistic windbag, but l like him in some ways.
He rarely admits he is wrong & can wriggle & squirm like a snake.
lf all else fails, then he just doesn't answer or changes the subject.
One thing stands out though, he hates us Anglos.
Couldn't care less myself.
btw-when l first came to Australia l lived in Malvern in Melbourne, then we moved to Corryong in the north-east, where l went to high school.
50 Think (#) Feb 17th, 2013 - 11:43 am Report abuse
(48) Anglotino

1) ”Universitäts” is absolutely correct in my usage.
Some examples off the top of my head:
Universitäts-Kommission, Universitäts-Sternwarte, Universitäts-Präsidenten, Universitäts-Tag, Universitäts-Stadt, Universitäts-Rat, Universitäts-Klinikum, Universitäts-Gesellschaft, Universitäts-Forschung, Universitäts-Zeitung. etc..etc..etc.

2) Johann Wolfgang von Göthe (or Goethe) may be spelled both ways….
Being as I am……., I always choose the less ordinary form.
archive.org/stream/johannwolfganggt00morg#page/n7/mode/2up
museum.zib.de/sgml_internet/img.php?img=gr019176&width=600
trove.nla.gov.au/work/4934233?q&versionId=5720671

3) About the line...: “Ach mein Gott, Du keiner OZZIE”
Firstly, that line was not meant to be printed….. It was just a “Draft Note”, I forgot to delete.

Secondly, if you had any experience in reading German you would have noticed the evident typo….
It should have read…:
“Ach mein Gott, Du kleiner OZZIE”

You are, maybe, not Monolingual….. But you are as close as one can be...
Keep trying, laddie.

(49) Isolde:
You say...:
“l have beat him in vocal jousts quite a few times”
I say...:
In your dreams, dahling ;-)
51 Gustbury (#) Feb 17th, 2013 - 04:46 pm Report abuse
@33 hahahahahahah,so funy !!!.There are no political parties there,so what democracy you're talking about!!!!!!!!!!??????????? eh? ridiculous
52 reality check (#) Feb 17th, 2013 - 09:29 pm Report abuse
At least they do not have to worry about those lads up at MPA taking over. How's it done. TV radio stations first?
53 Musky (#) Feb 19th, 2013 - 11:05 am Report abuse
@51 Gustbury
We cannot force the creation of political parties on the islands. Their current system is to elect the legislature, the people to represent them, like in any parliament. If an elected member is affiliated to a particular party then it is up to the voter decide 'hey, I'll vote for 'Gus Bury, he's a member of the Malvinista Party' or not. Democracy has just not taken off too well in Argentina has it.