Monday, November 18th 2013 - 22:06 UTC

Chilean leaders of the massive student protests elected to Congress

Vallejo's victory and those of independent candidates Giorgio Jackson and Gabriel Boric and fellow communist Karol Cariola, former comrade-in-arms in the student movement, who also gained seats in Chile's lower house on Sunday is significant for presidential front-runner Michelle Bachelet's bid to have her Nueva Mayoria coalition gain a stronger foothold in both houses of Congress.

Miss Vallejo the most emblematic face that rocked the government of President Piñera

Bachelet, who held Chile's highest office from 2006 to 2010, was the clear winner in the presidential election on Sunday, although she will have to go through a second-round runoff on 25 December to seal her victory.

The massive student protests of 2011 rocked incumbent President Sebastian Piñera's government and helped shape the 2013 electoral campaign, with Bachelet running on a platform to implement a tax reform to finance an education overhaul.

However their ascension to power most likely will not keep protests from spilling onto the streets next year as some in the new generation of student leaders view them as sellouts.

“I wouldn't vote for Giorgio Jackson ... for Camila Vallejo neither,” said Melissa Sepulveda, the new head of the Universidad de Chile's student body (FECh), a position once held by Vallejo. “The possibility for change isn't in Congress,” Sepulveda said in the recent radio interview.

The former Universidad Catolica student leader Giorgio Jackson who created his own political movement 'Democratic Revolution' won in his Santiago district with 47% of votes.

“Again Chileans on to the streets: education in Chile is not sold, it has to be defended” said Jackson in his political rallies emulating the slogans during the over forty marches organized in the last two years demanding free and improved education.

Student leaders Gabriel Boric and Karol Cariola also run as independent and as Communist candidates respectively. Boric the former president of the University of Chile students organization and who succeeded Vallejo won his seat in the extreme south region of Magallanes with 18,4% of the vote. While Cariola was elected with 39,.58% support in one of the poor districts of Santiago.

“The victories of the so called representatives from the 'social movement groups' has been the most resounding aspect of the legislative election” said Cristobal Bellolio, political analyst.

“The faces of discontent and indignation from those who had the government of President Piñera on the defensive are the true winners of this election and support Michelle Bachelet argument that they had to be in the system running for office”, added Bellolio.

“They have set the agenda for Bachelet second administration”, insisted the political analyst.

1 Klingon (#) Nov 18th, 2013 - 10:41 pm Report abuse
Miss Vallejo is hot. I would vote for her just on looks!
2 Condorito (#) Nov 18th, 2013 - 10:42 pm Report abuse
Think will be happy!
3 Anglotino (#) Nov 18th, 2013 - 10:48 pm Report abuse
And now they are part of “the system”.
4 CabezaDura (#) Nov 18th, 2013 - 11:02 pm Report abuse
Cristina Fernández was a pretty babe at that age too.
5 Klingon (#) Nov 18th, 2013 - 11:06 pm Report abuse
@4 You just gave me an instant soft on!
Thanks for killing my fantasy
6 Anglotino (#) Nov 18th, 2013 - 11:10 pm Report abuse
LOL
7 CabezaDura (#) Nov 19th, 2013 - 12:29 am Report abuse
The problem with these latam collage leftwing girls is that they have a thing for the old guard

verbiclara.files.wordpress.com/2012/04/dsc3413.jpg

I had a chat with one of them not so long ago and believe me once she takes you to politics you are out...
8 British_Kirchnerist (#) Nov 19th, 2013 - 01:54 am Report abuse
#1,5 Cristinita is much more beautiful than Camilla; give her time though and Camilla will I expect be a great beauty, and a great President =)

#4 Still is =) In fact her beauty has deepened since then =)

#7 Depends on your politics I suppose! Bet you had a crush on Maggie?
9 ilsen (#) Nov 19th, 2013 - 01:56 am Report abuse
Hey, I lived in Venezuela for 5 years (soon to return, whatever the problems), and previously in Chile for 3 years and there are no politics when in the bedroom....!
xoxo!
10 CabezaDura (#) Nov 19th, 2013 - 03:16 am Report abuse
9)Yes, but I have certain limits.. I tried to deflect from politics but I can imagine the face I put up to her when she said to me that she admired Fidel Castro and recommended me to read “the open veins of Latin America” by Galeano.
Too honest some times to follow the rules :-(

8) Gloria De Piero is fit
11 Marcos Alejandro (#) Nov 19th, 2013 - 04:35 am Report abuse
I bet Sergio Vega is happy :-))
12 Gordo1 (#) Nov 19th, 2013 - 07:32 am Report abuse
Georgio JACKSON? - any relation of the founder of the Grange School in Santiago?
13 Bongo (#) Nov 19th, 2013 - 09:15 am Report abuse
@1 Klingon

Yeah, I guess political skills are of no importance whatsoever.

On fact if CFK looked like this I daresay she would've been handed the Falklands years ago.
14 British_Kirchnerist (#) Nov 19th, 2013 - 09:17 am Report abuse
#10 I prefer Caroline Flint, even though she's on the opposite side of the labour movement to me! And Dianne Abbot, possibly the next mayor of London (though I'm backing Galloway) is quite nice =) On the Tory right I actually quite rate Nadine Dorries! Btw I get not liking Fidel (though I like him!) but what's wrong with Galeano?!
15 CabezaDura (#) Nov 19th, 2013 - 01:47 pm Report abuse
Galeano is the most rubbish abstract Latam neo-communist thinking.
16 Think (#) Nov 19th, 2013 - 05:34 pm Report abuse
Crossing fingers for Amaranta Dowling as Education Minister......