Tuesday, November 19th 2013 - 08:55 UTC

Kerry declares the Monroe Doctrine dead: “we are equals sharing responsibilities”

US Secretary of State John Kerry on Monday declared that a nearly 200-year-old policy which had governed Washington's relations with Latin America was finally dead. Known as the Monroe Doctrine after it was adopted in 1823 by former US president James Monroe, the policy had stated that any efforts by European countries to colonize land in North or South America would be views as aggressive acts and could require US intervention.

Secretary of State addressing the OAS and calling for partnership (Photo:AP)

US President James Monroe announced the doctrine in 1823

”The doctrine that bears (Monroe's) name asserted our authority to step in and oppose the influence of European powers in Latin America,“ Kerry told an audience at the Organization of American States.

”And throughout our nation's history, successive presidents have reinforced that doctrine and made a similar choice.

“Today, however, we have made a different choice. The era of the Monroe Doctrine is over,” he insisted to applause.

“The relationship that we seek and that we have worked hard to foster is not about a United States declaration about how and when it will intervene in the affairs of other American states. It's about all of our countries viewing one another as equals, sharing responsibilities, cooperating on security issues and adhering not to doctrine but to the decisions that we make as partners to advance the values and the interests that we share.”

Kerry had been roundly criticized earlier this year when he told US lawmakers that “the western hemisphere is our backyard” in comments that triggered anger from some Latin American leaders.

Bolivian President Evo Morales expelled the US aid agency USAID following the speech, and denounced the United States, which he said “probably thinks that here it can still manipulate politically and economically. That is a thing of the past.”

Kerry seemed to agree Monday, saying: “Many years ago the United States dictated a policy that defined the hemisphere for many years after. We've moved past that era, and today we must go even further.

”The question is will we work as equal partners in order to achieve our goals?“ Kerry asked.

”It will require courage and a willingness to change, but above all, it will require a higher and deeper level of cooperation between us, all of us together as equal partners in this hemisphere”.

1 GeoffWard2 (#) Nov 19th, 2013 - 09:12 am Report abuse
Yup,
it would be awkward for the US to publicly try to turn away the EU
- or, especially, China - from South America.

Reality Politik.
2 Usurping Pirate (#) Nov 19th, 2013 - 09:30 am Report abuse
Another way of expressing this would be : “ Thanks to large shale oil and gas deposits ,the US is now energy self sufficient , so we are pulling back behind our borders and the rest of you , including Israel , can go hang for all we care ”
3 DanyBerger (#) Nov 19th, 2013 - 10:36 am Report abuse
And?

Is this really relevant?

I guess that none cares
4 Anglotino (#) Nov 19th, 2013 - 10:39 am Report abuse
Nope no one cares because it is hardly relevant anymore anyway.
5 The Truth PaTroll (#) Nov 19th, 2013 - 01:21 pm Report abuse
What is this guy Kerry talking about? I never heard of this policy.

I just wikipedia it, and if I understood it correctly, then this statute was never actually enforced by the cowardly Americans, who stood by as their own neighbor Mexico was invaded by European monarchical troops. Or Cuba next door remaining Spanish, or Canada remaining British.

The only country that actually TOOK ACTION in the entire western hemisphere is Argentina. We sent troops to Bolivia, we sent troops to Chile, we sent troops to Peru, all to drive the Spanish out and we freed those nations. We payed Naval mercenaries to attack Spanish and British ships along the American coasts, to drive the Spanish out of California, Mexico, and Central America. We went to war with Brazil to free Uruguay from a monarchical power. We invaded the Falklands in 1833 to drive the British out and save the Warrah from extinction.

We are the only country in the Americas that shed blod, and went broke, to fight the monarchical evil powers in the Americas. We desest monarchies and we put our words into action. All others did nothing.
6 Elena (#) Nov 19th, 2013 - 03:09 pm Report abuse
Contradictory words don´t make up for contradictory foreing policy actions, Mr Kerry. Maybe it would be a good idea to think over what you mean by partnership and what the region countries understand by that. IMO.

@1 XD indeed, especially when it´s real politik for latam to have relations with EU,China and US while being more involved between each other inside the region.

@4 Agreed completely, problem is that a part of US political leadership and news sources as well as some left leaning ideologues in Latam just can´t stop talking about it today as in the past, mostly for political reasons of course, Kerry being one of them. Greetings Anglotino :-)

@5 Well to be fair US was in civil war during the french intervention in Mexico, also given US interventions in Mexico years before, their help would have not been taken as a good thing either. The Monroe doctrine was a real politik tool for US foreing policy during the 19th century to keep European powers out of “it´s zone of influence” but foreing policy is one thing, the capability to act on it is another thing altogether.

I didn´'t know about all that Argentina did, It shows how as a region we need to know more about each country. Greetings
7 brasherboot (#) Nov 19th, 2013 - 03:20 pm Report abuse
Great!

That releases the South Atlantic to full British control without Argieland trying to hide behind the Monroe nonesense.
8 Elena (#) Nov 19th, 2013 - 03:28 pm Report abuse
@7 that's a good way to support CFK inside the region actually.
9 Usurping Pirate (#) Nov 19th, 2013 - 04:19 pm Report abuse
So Nostril , was the 1982 invasion enforcing the Monroe Doctrine ?
10 GFace (#) Nov 19th, 2013 - 04:46 pm Report abuse
(Ah ~this~ is what Geoff was talking about elsewhere).
11 cornishair (#) Nov 19th, 2013 - 05:34 pm Report abuse
The Monroe Doctrine is always an interesting read, an foreign policy which the US couldn't enforce till the very end of the 19th century (and only then with the weakest European empire Spain), from what I've read the only real group enforcing this system was the good old RN :) the US navy only being a coast defense force for almost the entire century (bar 1860-70).

“ We payed Naval mercenaries to attack Spanish and British ships”
“We payed British mercenaries to attack Spanish ships”. there fix that for you.

“We invaded the Falklands in 1833 to drive the British out” invaded you say lol :)
12 A_Voice (#) Nov 19th, 2013 - 06:05 pm Report abuse
Nah I've heard of this ....it's a spelling error....Monro Doctrine
This was an attempt by the US to protect their Crooners, like Bing Crosby, Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin from the intrusion of the British crooner Matt Monro...
www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi1cOdE_waI
www.youtube.com/watch?v=ovyZU0qe7Is

No.. I've got it wrong....it was to stop British climbers from naming all mountains over 3000 feet in the US ....Monroe's....
13 GeoffWard2 (#) Nov 19th, 2013 - 06:54 pm Report abuse
Nah, it was to stop Diana Dors stealing the Monroe limelight.
(Manson, later, did it for Marilyn.)
14 Conqueror (#) Nov 19th, 2013 - 06:59 pm
Comment removed by the editor.
15 A_Voice (#) Nov 19th, 2013 - 07:27 pm Report abuse
haha everyone knows ....it is you that has a fascination with male genitalia, Action Men movies and war games.....youuuu.....love it....
Locked in your Command Centre (bedroom) a box of Kleenex and the old five fingered shuffle.....in your element....
You don't fool us....we know you!
16 rupertbrooks0 (#) Nov 19th, 2013 - 07:28 pm Report abuse
5 The Truth PaTroll

You’ve never heard of the Monroe Doctrine? Why not? Didn’t you go to school? The doctrine was actually written by John Quincy Adams and was supported by Britain, in particular the Royal Navy. It has been interpreted and reinterpreted as possessing different meanings and applications by different people at different times, most famously By President Teddy Roosevelt in his “Roosevelt Corollary to the Monroe Doctrine” of 1904.

A key passage of the doctrine is:

“Henceforth (the American continent is) not to be considered as subjects for future colonization by any European powers”, meaning neither British Canada nor Spanish Cuba were affected by it.

At the time it was mainly directed at the absolutist monarchies of Catholic Europe. The USA had no problem with the liberal, democratic, constitutional Monarchies of Sweden, Britain, and The Netherlands etc.

Much of Argentinas past military adventures were for its own imperialistic goals. Argentina is still in occupation of the provinces of Formosa and Missiones, once part of Paraguay. Patagonia was conquered iby 1880. Its historical ambitions in Uruguay (once called Banda Oriental) were referred to by CFK only last year.
17 Anglotino (#) Nov 19th, 2013 - 08:03 pm Report abuse
Too true A_Voice too true.
18 Briton (#) Nov 19th, 2013 - 08:05 pm Report abuse
Monroe Doctrine
Depends how one interprets it, [according to argie bloggers] lol

After all, they say it runs in threes,
1, Washington's relations with Latin America was finally dead
2, Argentines claim now officially dead
3, CFK hope of another term..dead..lol
19 Clyde15 (#) Nov 19th, 2013 - 08:22 pm Report abuse
#12
Or even Munros !
20 A_Voice (#) Nov 19th, 2013 - 08:40 pm Report abuse
Haha.....do you think I didn't know how to spell Munro's...it was a play on word sounding....
I have run up enough of them...Ben Ime being a close one... I am often up....I did hear that Beinn an Lochain was re-calabrated as being a Munro at the top of the Rest, but I can't verify that....
Some locals say the Lochan is as deep as the hill above it, but I'm sceptical, though it is a little scary in the dark as you hit the sharp bend at top of the Rest and it is open to the road....
21 ChrisR (#) Nov 19th, 2013 - 09:06 pm Report abuse
The ever ubiquitous American Monroe Doctrine explained by a ubiquitous American (aren’t they all!).

www.youtube.com/watch?v=8TdpX7gF5GI

“Dog Piss In The ‘Hood”.

Great explanation: Argentina take note.
22 Conor J (#) Nov 19th, 2013 - 09:39 pm Report abuse
More lies from TTT again? You shouldn't be commenting here boyo.
23 Clyde15 (#) Nov 19th, 2013 - 09:44 pm Report abuse
#20
If that were true then it would be the deepest fresh water loch in Scotland. Loch Morar is about 310 metres deep and is considered the deepest. Beinn an Lochain is 259 metres above the “Rest” , so, as the top of the Beinn is 901 metres above sea level, that would make the lochan 642 metres deep ! Not likely ! Some people also say that there are kelpies in Loch Eck but I have never seen one.
How they can find another 13 metres to make it a Munro beats me. It sounds like a civil engineering project.
As to Ben Ime, I was last up there in winter 1963 on a joint climb up the Cobbler. Now I would need a lift from ZA134 to reach the summit of any Munro..
24 A_Voice (#) Nov 20th, 2013 - 12:32 am Report abuse
Hey it's not a case of prove me wrong....I could have googled for figures and sounded like I was an Encyclopaedia, I am just giving you local gossip....the human element...
I could have verified as well about the hill, but I was passing on what a climber said to me about new satellite data that conflicted with conventional data....and I did try to find it but couldn't.
Also when I said local, I mean't Dougie Campbells's kingdom of Loch Goil....
I'm full of local myth for the area you were apparently born in...the smugglers passage of the Whistlefield....the Paper Caves, Ghost stories and myths from the late “James Bond” that we both apparently met.....he wrote about them, another of his many talents....
Besides I'm a master of the off topic derailing.... almost as good as Vestige.....;-)))
25 The Truth PaTroll (#) Nov 20th, 2013 - 03:13 am Report abuse

I attended history classes at school to learn about Argentine history, I know it may shock you, not to learn North American or British History. Of course I learned the basics, the reasons for the US revolutionary war, the American genocide of the native americans, the British and Spanish commiting crimes against humanity in the Western Hemisphere, Magna Carta basics, Oliver Cromwell, WWI and WWII. That is what we learn about your history.
26 Anglotino (#) Nov 20th, 2013 - 07:15 am Report abuse
Wow so all that was part of Argentinean history.
27 HansNiesund (#) Nov 20th, 2013 - 09:37 am Report abuse

The Argentine version of it, whereby history consists of a list of wicked things done by Brits acting out of genetic determinism, and nobody much else was involved.

Argentine anthropology is even more of an eye opener, it seems they were all bred by angels. And if they weren't it was all somebody else's fault.
28 Conor J (#) Nov 20th, 2013 - 10:00 am Report abuse
Best get your money back as your so called historical claims in comment @5 were highly inconsistent.
29 Clyde15 (#) Nov 20th, 2013 - 12:50 pm Report abuse
#23
You are a bit over touchy.

My NO referred to...Haha.....do you think I didn't know how to spell Munro's.
As to satellite data have a look at this:-
www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-14458122

“” the area you were apparently born in.“”.
Incorrect..I WAS BORN IN

“” we both apparently met“”
The word apparent expresses a nuance of doubt. I met Sir Fitzroy and spoke with him for about 15 minutes. This was the one and only time I saw him and I have no doubt to whom I was speaking.

As to being an expat. I admit that I would have liked to have worked in Fiji and regret that I did not take up HM Government' offer of a three year detachment as an instructor. Thirty years later I had to visit the country at my own expense.
30 The Truth PaTroll (#) Nov 20th, 2013 - 02:21 pm Report abuse

31 GFace (#) Nov 20th, 2013 - 03:59 pm Report abuse
@27, the New-World Creationist mythology that we've seen by the most frothy Malvanistas (and even by Saddam=Poland XVIII here) denying any conneciton to the “Old World” has indeed been noted here before. No colonialism. No genocide of the peninsula. No implantation. Argentines were planted by God in their current perfect and original sin-free form and demographics about 6000ish years ago. Keep “teaching that controversy”, idiots.
32 Math (#) Nov 20th, 2013 - 05:35 pm Report abuse
#30 This is true. Argentina is far from being the hellhole or evil country the people in here say it is.
33 Conqueror (#) Nov 20th, 2013 - 06:32 pm Report abuse
@15 Amazing! From so far away, you know what I'm doing. Just a few problems. Never owned an Action Man. Or any war games. Why would I want to be locked in my bedroom? Simple points. My bedroom door has no lock. I own the entire house. No-one else lives in it!
Is there an explanation? Of course there is. When you can't think of any viable method of arguing, discussing, debating, attribute your own activities to the opposition. Very childish. But you do confirm me in my opinion. Your “state” and its occupants should not be permitted to survive. Your filthy little minds need to be expunged. So pleased about the number of your ilk I put behind bars during my career. Although I would have preferred to impale each one of them. Slowly.
@17 Since you agree with the slob, same goes for you. Always hilarious seeing the impotent agreeing with each other. I'm always comforted by the thought that none of them have English as their first language. Worth considering what (not who) sticks together. Same stuff that crims smear on their cell walls!
@25 Last week?
@30 I don't understand. Spaniards, Italians and Germans ARE all evil. The Italians came to their senses in 1943. No, wrong, that was cowardice. The Germans have been “guided” for 68 years. Still not “trusted”. Spaniards are still total crap. Argies, of course, are so far below sub-human as to be close to “bacterial”. Infesting a part of our planet. Infestations have to be cleaned, cleared, cured, destroyed, expunged, neutralised. Your future!
But, for everyone, let me make my position clear. Britain FIRST. British territories SECOND. But only just. Canada, New Zealand, Australia THIRD. The United States DEPENDS ON HOW I FEEL. Rest of the world is something to tread on. But boots will need to be cleaned by every means. Eradication is the order of the day! Going to work for that.
@32 Don't be stupid. Argies lie. About everything. Scum. Filthy, lying, corrupt, criminal scum.
34 A_Voice (#) Nov 20th, 2013 - 07:13 pm Report abuse
Wow, I guess I hit a nerve....
also.....
“ I'm always comforted by the thought that none of them have English as their first language.”

English being your first language, wouldn't it have been better to write....

“I'm always comforted by the thought that neither of them have English as their first language.”
If you need any more help...just let me know...
35 Conor J (#) Nov 20th, 2013 - 10:44 pm Report abuse

Yet more lies from TTT!

“”I am not going to have a discussion with a creature (you) that has already made it limpid-water clear that any positives to emerge from Argentina ever must be a lie, and any completely confabulated, mendacious, or fancied statement utter by anyone, as long as it cast Argentina as evil, is automatically elevated into scientific law.“”

When have I ever said any of that? I don't dismiss Argie achievements or its government I just don't like your mis-informed comments and especially the ones in comment @5 which don't make any sense.

The reason you dismiss me, is because when you try to debate me on Argentina's past or world history you usually run off in a huff, never to return until the next set of narrow-minded comments can crop up.

Why? = Chicken
36 Forgetit86 (#) Nov 21st, 2013 - 12:42 am Report abuse
Imperial and colonial states seldom relinquish power on their own - this is just not part of human nature. That - and we know there's nothing beyond rhetoric here - Kerry's embracing equality, is because the US is debilitated, because it can no longer maintain its hold over the Americas, and must conform its outlook over Latin America to its reality as a crumbling superpower no one fears anymore.
37 Conor J (#) Nov 21st, 2013 - 02:31 am Report abuse
For once we agree Mr Forget.
38 The Truth PaTroll (#) Nov 21st, 2013 - 03:57 am Report abuse
I actually have reassesed my position and believe we should bring back this doctrine. Keep the dirty Euros out of the world cup next year.

We all know that the Germans are dirty barefooed Okos that trash into sordid squalor any locale they land on, the French are smelly aquiline Narcisists who render any public gathering unbearable with their presence, the Italians are hairy and obnoxious Con artists that leave nothing but white glove criminal behavior in their wake, and the English, greasy-skinned dipsomaniacs who when gathered in numbers bigger than “one” instantly revert to form and de-evolve into packs of marauding viking/hun-like brutes, destroying anything in their path.

39 rupertbrooks0 (#) Nov 21st, 2013 - 05:57 am Report abuse
38 The Truth PaTroll

Your weird.

I have several Argentinian friends here in London and they're not like you. They're tolerant, friendly, educated open minded people. Theyalso love England, especially the cultural adventure that is London.

When you post your posts you should avoid using the word “we”. You only speak for yourself.

If the Europeans are kept out of the World Cup it wouldn't be the World Cup anymore would it.
40 Clyde15 (#) Nov 21st, 2013 - 12:14 pm Report abuse
#38
Did you consult Dany Berger before you wrote this piece of childish
drivel ?

Here is an article from Dany's favourite newspaper ...so it must be true.
theguardian.com/football/2011/aug/21/argentina-football-gangs-barra-bravas
Keep the dirty Argentinians out of the World cup next year.
41 Conor J (#) Nov 21st, 2013 - 01:50 pm Report abuse

“No need to repeat 1492 again. And if they try, this time we in America will be ready.”

OH MY GOD!! You are so fucking stupid!!!!!! A colonially implanted fool thinking he's a true native, forgive me while a laugh to death!

But I'll put the song in for you if you want! Listen to your Spanish forefathers sing!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYeDsa4Tw0c
42 The Truth PaTroll (#) Nov 21st, 2013 - 01:57 pm Report abuse
I have nothing against Argentines that like foreigners, I just think they are misguided because behind their backs the friends of those Argentines think of them as inferior little animals.

And I don't have anything against foreigners when they keep their distance from my oxygen-breathing personal zone.

I only hate you guys for who you are just as much as you hate me for who I am.
43 Conor J (#) Nov 21st, 2013 - 02:32 pm Report abuse
More lies from racist in chief, no direct reply to any of the arguments put against you then? Including your absurd claim, that you somehow have some sort of equality with the natives in 1492 you hypocrite.
44 Clyde15 (#) Nov 21st, 2013 - 05:03 pm Report abuse
#38
You missed one. What happened to the oily garlic smelling Spanish who founded your country ? Just a correction, the English (British ) are pasty faced due to the lack of sunshine-not greasy -that is a Latino trait.
45 HansNiesund (#) Nov 21st, 2013 - 08:29 pm Report abuse
Tobias is evidently still a believer in the Erich von Daniken theory of Argentine origins. And who indeed could deny that some of them are clearly here from another planet?