Thursday, May 29th 2014 - 22:06 UTC

Rousseff sends the Army to safeguard airports and hotels hosting national teams

Brazilian president Dilma Rousseff ordered the Army, which already occupies several of the favelas (shanty towns) in Rio do Janeiro to move in and take responsibility for airports and hotels that will be hosting the 32 national teams competing for the World Cup.

The decision follows the hounding of the Brazilian national team bus by striking teachers

The army has already been deployed in Rio's favelas and in other cities such as Brasilia and Salvador de Bahía

Officials also announced that they had confiscated food 'not fit for consumption' in hotels which will host the English and Italian teams  (Procon photo)

The Thursday decision to call in the military was adopted after President Rousseff was informed that last Monday a group of protestors surrounded the bus transporting the Brazilian national team at the hotel next to the Tom Jobim international airport in Rio.

Defense ministry sources admitted 'errors' were committed during the security operation surrounding the bus of the national team, when at least a dozen striking teachers managed to put protest stickers on the bus. Teachers in Rio have been on strike for a month demanding better pay and working conditions.

On Wednesday the Brazilian army made a presentation of manpower and weapons it will be using in the northern city of Salvador de Bahía, one of the Cup's twelve host cities and where local police forces have been on a round of strike actions. The special Army forces displayed their muscle and simulated rioting situations.

Meanwhile another group from the Army made similar deployments and operational drills in the capital Brasilia, where on Tuesday protesting indigenous peoples, with bows and arrows, and other groups clashed with anti riot teams. At least two police officers suffered arrow injuries and some of the protestors managed to climb to the roof of Congress.

In rather ironical comments, Rio do Janeiro's O'Globo asked if the deployment of the army “was to be the contribution from the President to ensure security in the different states of the union?”.

Meantime further to the south on Wednesday evening and night, several thousand demonstrators marched peacefully in Sao Paulo to demand more low income housing for residents they say were displaced to make way for a World Cup stadium.

The protest was led by the Homeless Workers Movement on behalf of an encampment of more than 4,000 families living in tents just a few miles from Sao Paulo's 1 billion Reais (448 million dollars) Arena Corinthians, still not fully completed.

Protesters urged municipal lawmakers to include the occupied area in a proposal to build more public housing and said they expected a swift answer from authorities.

“They promise the whole project will be voted on before the World Cup,” said organizer Jussara Basso.

Unlike a similar protest from the same group last week that shut down stores and snarled traffic in Sao Paulo, Wednesday’s protest was far from the city's main business district.

Some 600,000 foreign soccer fans are expected to travel to 12 host cities in Brazil for the month-long World Cup starting on June 12. Protests and strikes have become an almost daily occurrence in Brazil just over two weeks from the opening match.

Brazilian authorities this week also revealed that they had confiscated food “not fit for consumption” from two hotels that will host the English and Italian national teams during the upcoming World Cup competition in Brazil.

According to Procon, the Brazilian consumer protection agency, inspectors found food past its consumption date at the Portobello Hotel in the city of Mangaratiba, a suburb just west of Rio de Janeiro. The Italian national team is expected to stay at the Portobello.

In a surprise inspection Monday, Procon said, inspectors found 25 kilograms of expired pasta, shrimp, salmon and margarine. At Portobello, inspectors also seized 24 kilograms of steak, sauces, beef heart, cheese, sugar and fish without expiration labels.

Fabio Domingos, head of Procon in Rio de Janeiro state, told Agencia Brasil, the state-run news agency, that he's very concerned about the number of establishments that have violated sanitation rules.

Last week, in another surprise inspection, Procon inspectors found food past consumption quality at the Royal Tulip Hotel in the São Conrado neighborhood of Rio de Janeiro.

The hotel is expected to host the English national team during the World Cup. Inspectors there found 2.36 kilograms of expired lard, Parma ham and salmon.

1 ilsen (#) May 29th, 2014 - 10:40 pm Report abuse
Watching with interest.
2 Anglotino (#) May 29th, 2014 - 11:02 pm Report abuse
Is there every an article anywhere on Brazil that doesn't include the words “strike” and “protesters”?
3 BOTINHO (#) May 30th, 2014 - 12:15 am Report abuse
So much for the Hotel Buffet choices.

Very glad to see that the understaffed but vigilant PROCON is actively performing unscheduled inspections for Food and Health safety. The Royal Tulip chain I know well, which surprises me.

This benefits all the restaurant patrons and hotel guests, not only the visiting UK and Italian teams.

We want both teams in top form for the World Cup without any excuses when they ( enfrentarem o desafio ) or face the challenge !
4 redp0ll (#) May 30th, 2014 - 01:37 am Report abuse
@3 which two teams? Uruguay, otro maricanazo !!!?
5 ilsen (#) May 30th, 2014 - 01:42 am Report abuse
Just Lurking.
No comments required.
Think the article says enough.
Make your own conclusions, people.
6 Forgetit87 (#) May 30th, 2014 - 02:31 am Report abuse
Heard some in the military plan a Jean Charles Menezes revenge on the Britard team, watch out.
7 Hepatia (#) May 30th, 2014 - 04:04 am Report abuse
en.mercopress.com/2014/05/29/rousseff-sends-the-army-to-safeguard-airports-and-hotels-hosting-national-teams#comment329495: Why yes there are. Many in fact. You could try reading the Brazilian papers to find them. I will post here one in English (because I do understand you Brit peasants are linguistically challenged) which details one of the few successful British exports to Brazil:

www.bbc.com/news/magazine-27625540

Stories on this subject, and others, can be easily found in the Brazilian media. But, of course, you will not find this sort of reporting on this British run propaganda site. Maybe you should try being a little less provincial and become a little more cosmopolitan. There is a whole world out there.
8 reality check (#) May 30th, 2014 - 04:16 am Report abuse

Now name any one of the 2.000 people killed annually by Brazilian police whilst resisting arrest?

That's 8.000 since the death of Jean Charles Menendez.

Go on, I dares yer!

Hypocrite.
9 Anglotino (#) May 30th, 2014 - 06:15 am Report abuse
Hepatia.

There are few as “linguistically challenged” as you on here. The problem is that you compound that with being intellectually challenged as well.

The great thing about this “British run propaganda site” is that we can always trust you to come along and actually prove our point. It's why I always reply so gleefully to you.

More people will be killed in Brazil during the World Cup than are killed in my country in a whole year. I won't tell you my country for the 15th time because your intellectual disability precludes you from understanding that. Those are facts you can't argue with, so I guess you better try deflecting again. I know how about we discuss your 2 year old claim that the Falklands will become Argentinean in 25 years. For you, 25 years never comes, it's always 25 years away.
10 Forgetit87 (#) May 30th, 2014 - 08:40 am Report abuse
@banality check: “Killed whilst resisting arrest” vs. “Killed whilst taking a train to go to work, being profiled over his race.”

Why can't you see the difference? You a Britard?

@Hepatia: It worked, though our inbred, monolingual friend is adamant on quixotically insulting us polyglots as being the real linguistically challenged ones, he has ceased to make sense in the one language he masters. How pitifully sad. “I won't tell you my country for the 15th” is not correct phrasing - it transmits no information. You must've struck a nerve.
11 Captain Poppy (#) May 30th, 2014 - 09:21 am Report abuse
And I thought the Army was a combat force? Perhaps next Cup they can be played in Syria or Kabul for that old military feeling of the days played in Brazil.

Crime must be something else in Brazil if the Army has to be used. Will they be using Special Forces and Sniper teams as well?

Using a combat trained force for a police action is never a good thing.
12 Anglotino (#) May 30th, 2014 - 09:46 am Report abuse
Forgetit87

For someone that is supposedly a “polyglot”, your English is severely deficient.

I have ALREADY told Hepatia my country 14 times before.

Why would I tell her a 15th time when she will be incapable of actually retaining that information.

Seems it is (as usual) you that is “linguistically challenged”.

Good try but fail for you mate.
13 Conqueror (#) May 30th, 2014 - 01:11 pm Report abuse
@6 Wonder how many of the ENGLISH team trainers will actually be SAS? Could be a REAL surprise there!
@7 Look Hepatitis, you really don't understand. WE really don't care. Argies, Brazil nuts, Urineguayans, Bollynoodles, Ecuatrapdorians. All much the same. Pretty worthless. All lie. And 290 million threatening little Britain. Still, one Brit equals at least 10 latams.
@10 Something to do with leaping over a barrier, I believe. Do you think he thought he was still in Brazil?
@12 Just look at that name. “Forgetit”! And such easily forgotten drivel as well. Don't believe it's typed anything worth reading for at least two years.
14 GeoffWard2 (#) May 30th, 2014 - 05:00 pm Report abuse
Yes, I agree, Conq.#13
The old Forgetit (@6) would have spotted the lack of need for a military pay-back for Jean Charles Menezes ... it seems that the Brasilian restaurateurs might kill off the England Team without even raising a sweat.
15 reality check (#) May 30th, 2014 - 05:28 pm Report abuse
Forget tit 87

Still waiting, name one of 8.000.

Better, still, try naming one of the street kids murdered by your police hit squads.

As for the military being deployed fot the security of the WC, I problems with that. After all, when the civilian security company failed to meet their contract for the London Olympics, we deployed our military.

There is one small difference though, apart from the Air Defence and the Rapid Deployment Force (SAS) not a single serviceman or woman was armed.
16 Jack Bauer (#) May 30th, 2014 - 07:26 pm Report abuse
Forget titty@6...what BS...the military in Brazil coudn't give a rat's arse about Jean Charles...but there are always some fanatics out there who might try something stupid...if they do, they'll probably end up the same way as Jean Charles did.
Hippy@7, this Truth Commission is just a one-sided investigation promoted by the leftovers of the so-called 'freedom fighters', who now form the Human Rights Ministry, and who opposed the government even before the Military took over in '64, with the sole purpose of getting rid of the then-democratically-elected government and installing a cuban-style regime in Brazil ...There were abuses on both sides, and the freedom fighters also killed their fair share of the military (and innocent civilians), so, in all your self-righteousness, tell me why 'they' should not be investigated ??? C'mon Hippy, we're waiting.
17 reality check (#) May 30th, 2014 - 07:37 pm Report abuse
Truth Commision?

That a laugh.

They would not know the truth if it bit them on the arse!

Cover Up Commission more like.
18 ilsen (#) May 30th, 2014 - 09:21 pm Report abuse
@13 Conqueror.
Whilst I do not agree with everything you say, I always appreciate your input. I am sure we will not always have the same opinions, yet....

For this alone;
“ Bollynoodles, Ecuatrapdorians” , I will always read your comments.

You, Sir, are a legend!
19 ChrisR (#) May 30th, 2014 - 09:26 pm Report abuse
Any more “unrest” and Dilma will be issuing rifles and pistols to the visiting WC fans.
20 reality check (#) May 30th, 2014 - 09:33 pm Report abuse
Conqs

None of them are SAS.

Of course I could always be wrong. They might be there, the water boy for instance. You will not miss him, he will be dressed in a black flame restart suit, wearing a S10 and carrying an MP5.

I do you know you have have met an SAS man?

Well your shaking hands with St Peter and he is saying, bloody hell not again this place is filling up!

Boss, better start filling building that new extension, oh and by the way, recruit some more tango instructors.

Not really, but the mental picture tickles my sense of humour.
21 ilsen (#) May 30th, 2014 - 09:59 pm Report abuse
“Bolly-noodles”

PMSL!

Oh, back on topic. It is obvious to all around the World that Brazil simply is not ready for the World Cup.
22 reality check (#) May 30th, 2014 - 10:52 pm Report abuse
When the the Olympics start?
23 ilsen (#) May 31st, 2014 - 12:25 am Report abuse
Oh Lord Save Us!

Don't mention the Olympics....

... my blood pressure can't take it!

Where will they find the money, and the social-compact?

Oh dear. I really can't see this turning out well.
24 ChrisR (#) May 31st, 2014 - 10:48 am Report abuse
@ 20 reality check

I knew the SAS were tough cookies, but carrying an S10, surely not?

And don't call me Shirley!

www.autoweek.com/article/20131021/CARNEWS/131019771

“Not really, but the mental picture tickles my sense of humour.” :o)
25 BOTINHO (#) May 31st, 2014 - 09:03 pm Report abuse
1,400 UK football Hooligans identified, and must turn in passports before World Cup. From The BBC, in English
www.bbc.com/news/uk-27647510

Doubtful they could afford our high costs here at the moment, and would end up drunk on the streets, before being arrested and then guests of the PF.

Elsewhere there is a market for false identification documents including fake passports, fake identification cards, and fake driver's licenses. Such fakes will also be checked, and anyone caught carrying fake ID, even as a prank, will be facing more serious charges and guest time with the PF, well after the World Cup.
26 Forgetit87 (#) Jun 01st, 2014 - 05:44 am Report abuse
@GeoffWard2

Geoff, something I was due to answering you for some time. The “forgetit” that commented on this article (en.mercopress.com/2014/05/10/falklands-among-the-best-30-islands-in-the-world ) was not me. See how his tag has a zero instead of an 'o'. Why is it that all fake accounts happen to be Britards? Just goes to show the lowly tactics of the your countrymen on here - even more reason to despise them and to keep on my righteous campaign to expose their filthy history and character.

Nothing against you, though.
27 ilsen (#) Jun 01st, 2014 - 08:37 am Report abuse
Oh look. Desperate attention seeking lonely loser Mendacious Keith Pork is back. Yawn!
You were completely exposed before. Now you need another screen name.
How sad for you.
28 reality check (#) Jun 01st, 2014 - 11:35 am Report abuse
Chris

The S10 is or was their model of respirator.

But I like yours better!

Lol!
29 Forgetit87 (#) Jun 01st, 2014 - 03:56 pm Report abuse
That's quite a strong reaction, ilsen. One could even call it desperate. I'm not familiar with you - such insignificant person, is it possible I crushed you before without even noticing it? That'd not be the first time. In any case, it seems I, someone who, a second ago, did not know what the f* you are, take up a lot of room in your empty head - so much so, that you could have produced a fake impersonation of me to vent whatever petty resentment you've developed against me. And what a surprise, you're amazingly active in the thread that my impersonator made its appearance. You're a freak, and I think I'll have to contact Mercopress over you and your dirty ass, unmanly conduct. Your race disgusts me - I knew it could be immoral in the big things of life, but not in the small, childish things such as internet intrigues. OK, I'm lying, I did know Britards could do something of the sort as I've seen before that being done against other bloggers. Your race is really lowly and one could only expect that'd manifest itself in all things of life, big and small. Thanks for the confirmation.
30 ilsen (#) Jun 01st, 2014 - 06:05 pm Report abuse

Umm.... I wasn't addressing you.

How odd that you thought I was.
31 ChrisR (#) Jun 01st, 2014 - 07:19 pm Report abuse
@ 28 reality check

Yes, I did know that but I couldn't resist the pun, we see a lot of S10s in Uruguay but no SAS, more's the pity.

They could do an excellent job of removing the Tupas infestation screwing up the country.
32 Forgetit87 (#) Jun 02nd, 2014 - 10:04 pm Report abuse
@ilsen, yes you were - you have persistently addressed me or otherwise brought up my name even on threads I had not even noticed your pathetic presence. This becomes particularly obvious after revisiting older threads - you idiotically even accused me of being behind an account I'd never seen before, some Keith York, whose positions and interests are nothing like my own. But what to do, I guess that when you are a vile troll impersonating other people in order to defame them, perhaps you develop this paranoia that everyone else is like that, too.
33 Anglotino (#) Jun 03rd, 2014 - 02:04 am Report abuse
People can use as many names as they like, it doesn't change their deficiencies in intelligence or logic.
34 ilsen (#) Jun 03rd, 2014 - 06:10 am Report abuse
Dear Anglotino.
This Forgetit person is most odd. Obviously some deluded fool. I think he is the paranoid one, lashing out at people. I don't know who he is but he says my race is a lowly one.

As a mixed-race individual that he has never met it does beg the question. Which part of my mixed-race heritage does he hate more?

What a sad individual. I hate barely noticed him before this unprovoked nastiness. However, now he has announced to the world his racism. Just so we all the type of uneducated, backwards fool he is.