Saturday, February 13th 2016 - 08:34 UTC

Macri announces end of mining export duties campaigning for provincial support

Continuing with his economic reforms Argentine president Mauricio Macri announced on Friday the elimination of export duties for metallic and non-metallic minerals during a visit to the province of San Juan, a key mining district in Argentina. At the announcement were present several other provincial governors with strong interests in the mining industry.

Macri short in Congress of sufficient support is wooing provincial governors and lawmakers with more funds and loans to have his legislative program passed.

The head of state met San Juan Governor Sergio Uñac and other regional leaders, from Catamarca; La Rioja; Mendoza and Interior Minister Rogelio Frigerio

“For more than 10 years, they took resources out from San Juan province to give them to the Nation (central government)” underlined Macri

President Macri short in Congress of sufficient support, is wooing provincial governors and lawmakers with more funds and loans to have his legislative program passed.

The head of state held a meeting at the town of Barreal with San Juan Governor Sergio Uñac and other regional leaders. These included governor of the province of Catamarca, Lucía Corpacci; governor of the province of La Rioja, Sergio Casas; governor of the province of Mendoza, Alfredo Cornejo; Interior Minister Rogelio Frigerio and ruling PRO party lawmaker Eduardo Cáceres.

Macri later led an official rally to commemorate the crossing of the Andes by Liberator José de San Martín, some two centuries ago, and there announced the elimination of export duties for the mining sector saying the tax “violated the rules of the game”.

“For more than 10 years, they took resources out from San Juan to give it to the Nation (central government),” he added.

The elimination of the export duties won’t come as something new for the mining sector as Macri had already anticipated the measure since he was elected. During the campaign, Macri praised the mining sector and highlighted its potential, describing it as a strategic resource for the country.

Many of the impediments questioned by mining companies have been eliminated, such as import and export restrictions, prohibitions on repatriating profits and foreign currency controls, but elimination of export duties was still pending.

It’s not clear yet how the more flexible rules for the mining sector and the increase in projects will square up with a promise for stricter environmental regulations, none of which have been announced yet despite Macri’s promise to keep close tabs on the environmental impact of mining projects.

In effect environmental groups are strong in Argentina (and neighboring Chile) and have in recent years impeded the development of some projects and launched international campaigns. One the latest referred to a major spill, allegedly with toxic materials, which contaminated water resources high in the Andes.

Argentina has an estimated US$14.5bn in mining projects that have been waiting for more favorable rules in order to move forward, according to a recent analysis by BNamericas. Of the US$14.5 billion, US$13.77 billion are copper projects and US$747 million are gold projects.

Multinational companies in Argentina, include Goldcorp, Pan American Silver, Silver Standard and McEwen Mining.

Note: Comments do not reflect MercoPress’ opinions. They are the personal view of our users. We wish to keep this as open and unregulated as possible. However, rude or foul language, discriminative comments (based on ethnicity, religion, gender, nationality, sexual orientation or the sort), spamming or any other offensive or inappropriate behaviour will not be tolerated. Please report any inadequate posts to the editor. Comments must be in English. Thank you.

1 chronic (#) Feb 13th, 2016 - 09:21 am Report abuse
As copper prices are forecasted to reach a decade long low . . . . . . .
2 ChrisR (#) Feb 13th, 2016 - 01:36 pm Report abuse

Non-metallic minerals doesn't include copper.

Anyway, does Argentina HAVE much copper?

Once Macri gets Congress, and he will, then he has a better chance of implementing real changes.
3 Klingon (#) Feb 13th, 2016 - 03:21 pm Report abuse
Wonder if they will try to salvage the Brazilian pot ash plan for Argentina.
Only impediment I see for the mining industry is Moyano forcing companies to use trucks and not trains to ship it.
4 MagnusMaster (#) Feb 13th, 2016 - 07:19 pm Report abuse
People in Argentina are pissed about this.
5 yankeeboy (#) Feb 13th, 2016 - 07:52 pm Report abuse
4. Mad about lowering taxes to get much needed U$ and jobs?
6 bushpilot (#) Feb 13th, 2016 - 08:49 pm Report abuse
@4MM

Do you know what it is about this that is making people in Argentina angry?

Just curious.
7 MagnusMaster (#) Feb 13th, 2016 - 08:50 pm Report abuse
@5 The mining companies, most notably Barrick Gold, were already exempt from paying most taxes. The export duties were only 3%. And after the cyanide incident, most people want Barrick Gold out of the country, or to pay exorbitant taxes.
8 Enrique Massot (#) Feb 13th, 2016 - 09:19 pm Report abuse
I'm open to bets.
9 pgerman (#) Feb 13th, 2016 - 11:45 pm Report abuse
CFK, and peronism, during the last decade allowed the usage of graciars with minin propposes.

They also vetoed a passed Law to enforce the chemical process of exhausted batteries...Enrique Massot: I don't think Macri would do this job worse than CFK....Do you want to bet?
10 Skip (#) Feb 14th, 2016 - 12:59 am Report abuse
Unsure how mining is taxed otherwise in Argentina. Does it have a royalty that is payable? The logic of export taxes are to either prevent materials leaving so they can be value-added domestically it because mining companies have no choice and pay because they must export.

A royalty is a payment to the government to benefit the whole population for the removal of a resource they own. In Australia they go to the state government. However as Western Australia has now found out, reliance on them hurts when output drops.
11 chronic (#) Feb 14th, 2016 - 02:03 am Report abuse
10. No one cares skippy.
12 Skip (#) Feb 14th, 2016 - 04:02 am Report abuse
With your limited intelligence Chronic, no one is surprised!
13 Troy Tempest (#) Feb 14th, 2016 - 08:12 am Report abuse
Chronic sounds just like wee voice
14 chronic (#) Feb 14th, 2016 - 08:45 am Report abuse
Canuckie idiot chorus.
15 Troy Tempest (#) Feb 14th, 2016 - 09:07 am Report abuse

thanks for making my point
16 Skip (#) Feb 14th, 2016 - 09:50 am Report abuse
Notice Chronic repeats everything Yankeeboy says but never actually talks to him.

Just like Marcos. Rush in. Repeats nothing much.

No original content. Not even a challenge.

Monkey see, monkey do!
17 chronic (#) Feb 14th, 2016 - 10:43 am Report abuse
Are all the aussie/canuckies sleeping with the rgs?
18 Skip (#) Feb 14th, 2016 - 12:00 pm Report abuse
chronic there aren't enough Argentineans in the world to sleep with people who think you're an idiot.
19 chronic (#) Feb 14th, 2016 - 12:14 pm Report abuse
This is a real revelation:

I thought that the Falklanders were susceptible to a rear guard attack only from labor back in the UK.

Obvious all canadite and ozzers will require scrutiny going forward.

FI - beware your commonwealth allies.
20 Skip (#) Feb 14th, 2016 - 12:29 pm Report abuse
I somehow doubt you had a thought.
21 chronic (#) Feb 14th, 2016 - 12:51 pm Report abuse
Skippy, you're busted.

You don't believe in anything.

I'm pretty sure that you've never taken a stand for anything other than your own self-interest.

You'd naw your own scrawny ussie leg off to get out of a trap.

Accommodator.
22 Think (#) Feb 14th, 2016 - 01:32 pm Report abuse
(13) Troy Tempest

I better bow to your superior intelligence and confess...
I'm Chronic.
I'm Voice.
I'm Skip.
My real name is...: Titan von Teufel.

Chuckle chuckle
23 chronic (#) Feb 14th, 2016 - 02:07 pm Report abuse
Come on Skippy, what's a matter?

Don't like the daylight?

Getting your position from your rg bosses?
24 Pete Bog (#) Feb 14th, 2016 - 03:03 pm Report abuse
“Key paragraph: it's not known whether Macri will implement environmental regulations. ”

So children and others will continue to get sprayed with all those pesticides on the genetically modified Soy?

Or has Argentina advanced enough to make protective clothing a legal requirement like it has been for years in the UK?
25 chronic (#) Feb 14th, 2016 - 03:11 pm Report abuse
Come on skippy.

Why don't you undermine the kelpers politically some more?

Gone bashful?

Suck up again to your rg pals.

Thanks for decloaking.
26 Troy Tempest (#) Feb 14th, 2016 - 03:43 pm Report abuse
Skip,

Note that fake Yank Chronic discredits the US by posing as one of them and making outrageous and arrogant statements. This includes attacks based on ethnicity and gender.

He is also doing his best to discredit supporters of the Falklands and the U.K.
Namely, you, me, ElaineB, Capt. Poppy, and others who disagree with his offensive comments.

A lot in common with the ThinkVoice playbook.
27 Think (#) Feb 14th, 2016 - 04:15 pm Report abuse
(26) Troy Tempest
How did you came to that preposterous idea?
Chuckle chuckle...
28 chronic (#) Feb 14th, 2016 - 04:26 pm Report abuse
I don't need to discredit the ussies or the canadanites.

They've demonstrated a prodigious ability to do that on their own.
29 Think (#) Feb 14th, 2016 - 04:36 pm Report abuse
Yeahhhh...., bite, fass, attaque Chucky :-)))
30 chronic (#) Feb 14th, 2016 - 04:54 pm Report abuse
Oh and ethnicity:

History is written by the victors.

If you're dissatisfied with recorded history try winning anything and then you have the privilege of memorializing the events there of.

So if you have a problem with attributions with regard to peoples of various nations and what they have done - you have a problem with history.

If you take exception - you're a revisionist.

Your situational ethics put you in direct conflict with most posting on this venue.
31 Think (#) Feb 14th, 2016 - 05:29 pm Report abuse
Goood dog...
32 chronic (#) Feb 14th, 2016 - 05:53 pm Report abuse
Shut up tobi - you blithering idiot.
33 Think (#) Feb 14th, 2016 - 06:23 pm Report abuse
Heel boy..., heel...
34 Lord Lucan (#) Feb 14th, 2016 - 08:06 pm Report abuse
From down here its all clear. There is a Chronic lack of intelligent Thinking, folk picking Nostrils and giving Voice to moronic thoughts. Dirty little Think with his dirty little Allan Aldiss books and creepy comments to any female posters. Self evidently he should locked up like Rolf or villified like Jimmy. Yuk!
35 Troy Tempest (#) Feb 14th, 2016 - 09:45 pm Report abuse

+1 good post!
36 Skip (#) Feb 15th, 2016 - 06:19 am Report abuse
Wow Chronic seems to get quite upset when he suddenly finds that not everyone agrees with him.

Indeed his posts are such a mirror of Yankeeboy's that I've yet to find one that offers anything insightful. He's such a shade of beige that he blends into the background. Has been posting on here long?

Limited vocabulary, limited vision, limited opinions and limited intelligence.

Seems Chronic likes to run with the pack. And before you can say Freedom Fries.... you're either with us or against us. Aaaah, for simpletons there is only black and white because they are incapable of postulating beyond someone else's opinion they have latched onto.

Try thinking independently sometime chronic. I promise it won't hurt.

For instance you might even be able to work out why I suddenly stopped posting at 12.29pm GMT.....

@Troy
I've stopped wondering who's a sock puppet. I sometimes think it is easy to confuse the simple incompetence of many posters on here with something more like Think's multiple incarnations. If anyone is using sockpuppets on here then I feel very sorry for them because they are only doubling up the very ineffectiveness they are trying to hide.
37 golfcronie (#) Feb 15th, 2016 - 10:28 am Report abuse
From@11 to @36 All backbiting and not adding anything to the article above. Just an aside.
38 Skip (#) Feb 15th, 2016 - 11:40 am Report abuse
And on Mercopress....

Quelle surprise!
39 yankeeboy (#) Feb 15th, 2016 - 01:41 pm Report abuse

Bahahaha

haven't we all met tons of smart 30 y/o coffee baristas?

I know for sure your parents cry themselves to sleep.
40 The Voice (#) Feb 15th, 2016 - 02:31 pm Report abuse
@37 In other words @37 is no different! Just an observation… :-)
41 Troy Tempest (#) Feb 15th, 2016 - 03:10 pm Report abuse
@37 Golfcronie

Good observation.

@39 and @40, certainly.
42 chronic (#) Feb 15th, 2016 - 03:22 pm Report abuse
A coffeemaker - oh my!

Explains volumes.

And he's a liberal wussie to boot.

Hardly old enough to know anything.

This all fits very well with his ideology or lack of one.

Double shot of reality

Have you ever been anywhere? Built anything? Fought for anything?

lol.

Childish weevil.
43 Troy Tempest (#) Feb 15th, 2016 - 06:30 pm Report abuse
@42 “chronic” faker

wanting personal information?

Apart from bragging about your (non-existent) wealth and connections in Chicago, we hear nothing about your own qualifications.

Meanwhile, “Skip” as ThinkVoice have dubbed him, has repeatedly informed us of his qualifications.

And he has backed it up with informed useful insights.

Unlike the chronic fake who is mostly confined to making vulgar personal attacks and condemning others for their race, ethnicity, or gender.

You're a fake. You made a challenge to prove you were American and when it was accepted - you wimped out and disappeared.

Puppet.

Faker
44 yankeeboy (#) Feb 15th, 2016 - 07:35 pm Report abuse
43. Skip and Elaine are both trolls.
45 Lord Lucan (#) Feb 16th, 2016 - 12:13 am Report abuse
Down here we have special powers and can see all. WTF are the rednecks here?
46 Voice (#) Feb 16th, 2016 - 01:05 am Report abuse
A “double shot” of reality...

I love a witty retort, relative to the conversation...
That was witty for a Yank....
47 ElaineB (#) Feb 16th, 2016 - 09:46 am Report abuse
@39 “Oh my the resident 30 y/o perpetual student/philosopher coffee barista is board with others posts.”

Illiterate Yankeeboy.
48 Skip (#) Feb 16th, 2016 - 09:46 am Report abuse
Oh Yankeeboy just because you were stupid enough to start using this website under your own actual name with identifiable information doesn't make the rest of us as dumb and naïve as you.

As Troy says, and you know, I give out plenty of personal information. And yet am still more intelligent than you because you can't identify me. Even Voice (who is attempting to partake) hasn't in all these years found a single thing to trip me up.

You sell houses not coffee.

Hardly a huge step up.... Houses in a city, I'm guessing. Well I'm studying so I can design cities, improve cities and make cities more liveable. Whose education is more likely to impact the other? So laugh it up, because I can see how uncomfortable someone bettering themselves makes you feel. You actually require someone to look down upon to bolster your self worth.

Chronic has proven my point. He can't think for himself. He just runs with the pack. You have randomly chosen an age and a profession that I am using to put myself through university. Both are wrong.

But Chronic has now seen something that “explains volumes”. Namely how deep he can suddenly stick his tongue between your flabby white cheeks. You would think chronic could see past the facile left/right, liberal/conservative duality considering how centred his lips are on you. I wonder if he thinks your left butt cheek is progressive?

If disagreeing with your incessant stream of facile predictions and hateful bile fed by your narrow life experience and even narrower beliefs makes me a troll.... then I'll happily wear that moniker.

PS: Guess that Bachelor of Science didn't teach you the difference between board and bored.
49 ElaineB (#) Feb 16th, 2016 - 10:10 am Report abuse
@48 Well said. Yankeeboy is just projecting his self loathing onto you.
50 Think (#) Feb 16th, 2016 - 10:44 am Report abuse
(48) Skippy
Well said..., butt...
NEXT TIME, Try TO keep focused...
This article is about mining... not rimming...
51 Skip (#) Feb 17th, 2016 - 12:37 pm Report abuse
Think

It just takes one inconsiderate person and the difference is moot.
52 SebaSvtz (#) Feb 17th, 2016 - 02:07 pm Report abuse
I´m all for lower taxes.

Now, what about a more realistic “wealth tax”? because nowadays in Argentina, if you own a basic car and a (very) small apartment you pay that tax.

Wise up Macri.
53 Troy Tempest (#) Feb 17th, 2016 - 03:24 pm Report abuse
@48 skip

“I'm not wedded to some form of predetermined belief imposed on me by either the party I vote for or the country I live in. Limited one dimensional political spectrums are for limited one dimensional thinkers.”

Well said
54 Skip (#) Feb 17th, 2016 - 11:16 pm Report abuse
Thanks Troy

Seems for many in here you must adhere to a single and usually simple message otherwise they go nuclear. I'm left, I'm right, I'm centre.... because no one position has all the 'right' answers.

Also, 20 weeks tomorrow until I leave for Canada.

55 Voice (#) Feb 18th, 2016 - 01:00 am Report abuse
How did you get a work visa...?
You did mention working...Skip...
56 Troy Tempest (#) Feb 18th, 2016 - 03:08 am Report abuse
@55 voice

such respect for the authorities!

Don't worry yourself, voice.

I'm sure there are Canadians to sponsor him if it's an issue.

Enrique has a karmic debt to pay in that regard.

Then there's always myself or Derke.
57 Skip (#) Feb 18th, 2016 - 05:04 am Report abuse
Voice

I don't recall mentioning work. I am going on exchange for a year.

Students on exchange can work on campus. Otherwise I guess I'll try my luck at cash in hand work. Barista seems a good idea and will be a nice change from my current job. Guess I should look into one of those weekend courses.

Either way my exchange is fully funded. I'm eligible for Austudy, grants and loans. So I won't need to work. But as I'll be learning French and studying urban design it would be nice to actually get out and experience actually living in the city.
58 Troy Tempest (#) Feb 18th, 2016 - 05:26 am Report abuse
@57 Skip

I'm sure you'll find Montreal and Quebec City a lot of fun.

You will really enjoy the stone buildings and the history of Old Quebec City, and Montreal is known for its Arts, music scene and nightlife.

Be sure to tell us all about it. Living in Dunoon with no prospect of travel, voice can only visit these places via his computer. Do him a favour and let him live vicariously through you. It might mellow him out a bit.
59 Voice (#) Feb 18th, 2016 - 11:37 am Report abuse
“I don't recall mentioning work. I am going on exchange for a year. ”
Let me refresh your memory Skip...

“I hope Montreal is following that trend as I'd much prefer to work as a barista than anything else after I arrive there in July.”
en.mercopress.com/2016/02/06/pollack-statement-pleased-to-report-that-enormous-progress-has-been-made#comment429762

This might help...
www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=496&top=15
60 Skip (#) Feb 18th, 2016 - 12:53 pm Report abuse
Well thank you for proving I am always consistent.

Seems I still repeat the EXACT same thing even when I forget what I have said.

If you would like even more consistency and a post that predates by 2 months the one you posted:
en.mercopress.com/2015/12/04/fifa-corruption-new-round-of-arrests-of-south-american-football-officials#comment423071

“....this little present arrived via email this week:

'It is with pleasure that I write to advise that the Faculty of Architecture, Building, and Planning is happy to support your application for Exchange for two semesters, commencing in Semester 2, 2016.

Please find a copy of your approved study plan attached.'

Now I await acceptance from McGill or if they don't accept me then my other options are University of Toronto and UBC. However McGill is most likely as it is a Universitas 21 and therefore I am given priority.

I have already bought my ticket and will be flying out to NYC on July 7th.”

Seem I did get one thing wrong. I'm flying out on the 8th not the 7th.

Working is a bonus as my entire year is already fully funded. However the more I work the more I save for my gap year after I graduate. Bookmark it. I plan on spending 2018 in South America.

Cat meet pigeons!
61 Troy Tempest (#) Feb 18th, 2016 - 02:37 pm Report abuse
Aw shucks voicey. Now what?
62 Skip (#) Feb 18th, 2016 - 10:27 pm Report abuse
Troy

Voice thought (thinks) that we are the same person.

He also didn't believe that I went to Canada last time I was there.

He doesn't believe I am a student! Honestly why would I pretend to be a student for the past 3 years? (remember Nostrils started Uni? That last a month). Then I'll pretend to go to Canada for a year. Pretend to learn French. Pretend to come back and after another semester pretend to graduate. And then pretend to take a gap year?

Why I'm not even pretending to do a Masters or PhD but an undergrad!!!!

I'm not that invested in this site to concoct a lie for 3-6 years. Mind you he did send me the student visa link.
63 Troy Tempest (#) Feb 19th, 2016 - 09:55 am Report abuse
@62 Skip

It's all part of voiceThink's usual mining for personal information.

Do you remember his, “I'll place you” threat towards me, in his fit of righteous indignation?

Ah, the ongoing campaign...
64 Skip (#) Feb 20th, 2016 - 04:44 am Report abuse
Troy

I suppose there are people like Yankeeboy that make it so easy, that they expect others to be as naïve and stupid.

Anyway looking forward to Canada. Not sure if I'll get over to Van City but my brother lives outside Calgary so may end up there for Xmas or a birthday or two for my nephew or nieces.

Mind you I haven't been to the Maritime provinces and plan on taking advantage.

I've been to Montreal twice. Once in winter once in summer. So a bit familiar with it. Haven't been further north to Quebec City but will visit a former exchange student I studied with last year there.

So much to do there. But not as much to do here before I leave.
65 Troy Tempest (#) Feb 20th, 2016 - 06:57 am Report abuse
@64 Skip

Sounds like a great life you are leading right now!
I'm jealous.