MercoPress, en Español

Montevideo, November 20th 2017 - 19:23 UTC

Ex members of Catalonian government jailed by Spanish prosecution; Puigdemont remains in Belgium

Friday, November 3rd 2017 - 08:12 UTC
Full article 1 comment
The judge set bail for one of the nine former members of the Catalan Cabinet, saying he would be freed if he pays 50,000 Euros The judge set bail for one of the nine former members of the Catalan Cabinet, saying he would be freed if he pays 50,000 Euros
Carles Puigdemont, the former president of Catalonia, and four other ex-Cabinet members are in Belgium and ignored court summonses to appear for questioning. Carles Puigdemont, the former president of Catalonia, and four other ex-Cabinet members are in Belgium and ignored court summonses to appear for questioning.

A Spanish judge has ordered nine ex-members of the government in Catalonia jailed while they are investigated on possible charges of sedition, rebellion and embezzlement.

 Investigative magistrate Carmen Lamela issued the ruling on Thursday at the request of prosecutors who are pursuing a criminal case stemming from the declaration of secession the Parliament of Catalonia made on Friday.

The judge set bail for one of the nine former members of the Catalan Cabinet, saying he would be freed if he pays 50,000 Euros. Carles Puigdemont, the former president of Catalonia, and four other ex-Cabinet members are in Belgium and ignored court summonses to appear for questioning.

Puigdemont’s lawyer in Belgium said his client would stay away from Spain while the political climate was “not good”, but that he would cooperate with the courts.

“If they ask, he will cooperate with Spanish and Belgian justice,” lawyer Paul Bekaert said after Puigdemont ignored an order to appear before the High Court on Thursday to answer charges of rebellion, sedition and misuse of public funds relating to the region’s secessionist drive.

Lawyers for the nine who were remanded in custody said the defendants are serene and want the people of Catalonia to stay calm. Defense lawyer Jaume Alonso-Cuevillas said the decision “lacked justification” and was “disproportionate”.

He is representing former regional vice president Oriol Junqueras and four other ousted members of the Catalan Cabinet. Van den Andreu, the lawyer defending other ex-members of the regional government, said whether his clients were jailed “was already predetermined” before they appeared in court. Both lawyers said they would appeal the judge’s order.

The Spanish government invoked constitutional authority last week to take over running Catalonia following the region’s declaration of independence. Madrid dismissed the Catalan Cabinet, dissolved the regional parliament and called a new regional election for December 21.

A prosecutor has also asked the National Court judge to issue an international arrest warrant for ousted regional president Carles Puigdemont and four of his ex-ministers.

The National Court has been questioning ousted Catalan government members but a parallel Supreme Court session for six Catalan politicians was postponed for a week.

“If the question is if in Spain you can trust the judicial system, my answer is no,” said Artur Mas, a former president of the Catalan government. “From the personal point of view and also for my personal experience, I don’t think that there are all the guarantees to have a fair trial.”

Earlier this year, Mas was banned by a Barcelona court from holding public office for two years after he ignored a Constitutional Court ruling and went ahead with a mock vote on Catalonia’s independence in 2014.

Categories: Politics, International.

Top Comments

Disclaimer & comment rules
  • Pete Bog

    More petrol on the fire. Well done Marijuana Lovejoy.

    Nov 03rd, 2017 - 03:40 pm 0
Read all comments

Commenting for this story is now closed.
If you have a Facebook account, become a fan and comment on our Facebook Page!