Friday, May 25th 2012 - 02:51 UTC

Alcohol consumption in Latin America is considerably less than in Europe and US

Alcohol consumption in Latin America is low compared to Europe and the US and averages 5.5 litres of pure alcohol per year per capita, although with marked differences between countries and gender. In Europe consumption is estimated at 13 litres of pure alcohol while in the US the average in 9.8 litres.

One beer, two beers, when is it a beer too much?

The report released this week is based on national surveys and polls in nine Latin American countries and not only includes what percentage of the population consumes alcohol but also when, what and how. The study is considered a first time approach to the issue.

“These areas have not been much explored even in developed countries despite its social significance and which everybody acknowledges”, said Carlos Sojo the sociologist responsible for the investigation from FLASCO Latin American faculty of social sciences.

The investigation also revealed that very few countries have reliable information on national standards of alcohol consumption, with the most recent and complete in the area done in Brazil but which dates back to 2008.

The report includes El Salvador, Dominican Republic, Costa Rica, Peru, Nicaragua, Venezuela, Mexico, Colombia and Brazil and shows that six out of ten people consumed alcohol at least once in the last twelve months before the survey which covered an age span from 18 to 65. It also shows that in that period 15% of population in each of those countries was teetotaller or simply had never drunk in their lives.

“This is a very important piece of information since there is the overall perception that everybody drinks alcohol, which is not true. Besides there are significant variations according to the different countries”, said Sojo.

In effect, the report shows that 60% of the population on average in the last twelve months has consumed alcohol, however this ranges from 30% in El Salvador to 83% in Venezuela. Another interesting discovery is that the great majority (75%) does not consume alcohol or does so in volumes below the risk level recommended by the World Health Organization, WHO. The WHO level risk is 40 grams of alcohol for women and 60 grams for men (approx 4 and 5 glasses).

Those volumes are exceeded occasionally or very often by 25% of the rest of the population, of which 20% are subject to an occasional excess risk and 5% face a long term risk. The risk however is not necessarily linked to the national consumption prevalence, pointed out Sojo.

This means that the risk of high consumption is the same in El Salvador than in Costa Rica or Peru, despite the fact Costa Rica on average drinks twice as much and Peru three times as much.

Likewise the report points out that by age the group, the one which most consumes alcohol is that from 25 to 34 and the better the economic position and more educated the percentage goes up.

The report was financed by the Latin American breweries representing 18 countries in Latin America which produce beer.

“The industry paid but FLASCO enjoyed total autonomy and independence in organizing the surveys and writing the conclusions”, underlined Sojo

The chairman of the Breweries Jose Manuel Juanatey said that the organization considers important to have scientific data on drinking habits from which to build public policies in the region.

“The problem is excess but what can’t be said freely is that consuming alcohol is harmful. The report will help build on this. As an industry we promote a moderate consumption of alcohol and we believe it is totally compatible with a healthy, normal life style”, concluded Juanatey.

1 Guzz (#) May 25th, 2012 - 06:14 am Report abuse
And if it wasn't for Conqueror visiting us as frequently as he does, the LA numbers would be down to 2.3 litres pure alcohol per year and capita....
2 TipsyThink (#) May 25th, 2012 - 10:11 am Report abuse
That indicates us Latin Americans are less depression penchants than Europe--USA.
3 skåre (#) May 25th, 2012 - 11:26 am Report abuse
The only thing it indicates is that countries like Argentina are too destitute to be able to afford alcohol from any official outlets ... and drink vast quantities of highl4y potent moonshine that doesn't appear in statistics like this.

I mean, just look at Argentina: the whole country has alcohol dependency and suffers from collective brain-rot .. just look at the literate Nazi boys, with the multiple personality disorders, commenting in #1 and # 2 above if you want conclusive proof of that.
4 ElaineB (#) May 25th, 2012 - 12:09 pm Report abuse
I think there is a cultural trend to drink more in the UK. Good alcohol is very cheap compared to many countries (something the government is changing).
I can buy good Chilean wine cheaper in the UK than buying direct from the winery in Chile. They seem to have very high tax on alcohol.

Many of my Argentine friends can't afford to drink a lot, so I guess that is positive for the health of their livers.
5 Guzz (#) May 25th, 2012 - 12:18 pm Report abuse
Don't blame the taxing, Sweden has 300% taxes on alcohol (beer is lower) and they still drink like sponges... Generalising, new Europe is alcoholised and living on the merits of their parents
6 stick up your junta (#) May 25th, 2012 - 12:26 pm Report abuse

I take it Paco is affordable in Argentina
www.guardian.co.uk/world/video/2010/feb/21/paco-abuse-argentina
7 skåre (#) May 25th, 2012 - 12:27 pm Report abuse
Guzz yet again betrays his crass ignorance about Sweden. Tax on alcohol in Sweden is not applied as a percentage of the price (it is applied on a sliding monetary scale based on the volume of alcohol) and most swedes either drink moonshine, bring their hard alcohol in form abroad or go abroad to do their drinking (which is why, every weekend, there are comatose swedes everywhere you look in Copenhagen and Oslo).
8 ElaineB (#) May 25th, 2012 - 12:54 pm Report abuse
I think it is important to put modern views on drinking into perspective. It used to be common for people to drink alcohol because it was safer than water. Mead was the common drink in ENgland centuries ago. In fact, years ago in Argentina people drank the cheap wine because the water was unsafe. Take a trip to Mendoza and they will give you a history lesson.

Alcoholism is not a uniquely European problem. It is as evident in the Southern Cone as in Europe. As is the huge problem with drug addiction. I think people are confusing alcohol dependency with social consumption levels.
9 Guzz (#) May 25th, 2012 - 12:55 pm Report abuse
skåre
I guess you know bettert han the Swedes themselves... Of course the taxing is based on the amount of alcohol, as it is the alcohol you pay taxes for! I admit I havent been in the country for a couple of years now, and the EU has made Sweden to relief their taxing on alcohol a bit, but they still have monopoly in that sense that the Systembolaget are the only ones allowed to sell the stuff. 33% of the Swedes consumption comes from illegal sources, the rest is sold in the country, there are no numbers on the consumtion abroad, for obvious reasons. And yes, they do like their hembränt, just like the norweigans...
Still, they drink like sponges.
10 LEPRecon (#) May 25th, 2012 - 12:57 pm Report abuse
South America - light weights or cheapskates? LOL
11 skåre (#) May 25th, 2012 - 01:17 pm Report abuse
Guzz

No, I just know swedes and Sweden better than you do; but then (as witnessed by your pidgin Swedish) you aren't actually the swede you claim to be. Anyway, point made that you haven't got a clue what you are talking about and are just plucking numbers out of thin air ... but then we already knew that to be your habit.
12 Guzz (#) May 25th, 2012 - 01:28 pm Report abuse
I never claimed to be Swedish, lilla du. Even so, my swedish is quite perfect, thank you very much :) It's not my fault you have problems understanding it. In fact, that's not at all the languages fault. I wont push you too far as I know you people take out your anger on your own adolescents, but it must be hard to be a Norweigan and defend British values, you are mainly known for the nation that has been owned by practically everyone...
13 skåre (#) May 25th, 2012 - 01:33 pm Report abuse
Guzzy

Yes you have repeatedly claimed to be Swedish - just like that other alter ego of yours does - and your Swedish is far from perfect. In fact, your Swedish is actually quite appalling .. even for a clueless teenage troll using Google translate.
14 Guzz (#) May 25th, 2012 - 01:36 pm Report abuse
When did I claim to be Swedish? Is this another one of your “truths”? Now, I know you said repeatedly, but show me one (1) link to a page where I claim to be Swedish. If you can't you are truly a liar...
15 skåre (#) May 25th, 2012 - 01:39 pm Report abuse
The liar is calling me a liar? That's rich .. even for a clueless teenage troll who is so incompetent that he can't actually keep a track of which of his many identities he is commenting from. Do get a life.
16 Guzz (#) May 25th, 2012 - 01:41 pm Report abuse
Put your insults on hold and feel free to post me that link to “proove” your lies :)
17 skåre (#) May 25th, 2012 - 01:49 pm Report abuse
Guzz

Don't like insults? You aren't so shy about them when you are dishing them out in pidgin Swedish though, are you, Naziboy?

The very first post you addressed to me from this preposterous (relatively) new 'Guzz' identity made the claim that you are Swedish (and you repeated the claim again from your 'Think' persona). If you don't have the wherewithal to keep a track of the drivel you are posting, then that is your problem. It certainly isn't enough of a problem for me that I am going to look for articles that are weeks old in order to find where you said what you have said time and time again form several of your many online identities.

PS: The word you were looking for, shitferbrains, is 'prove'
18 Guzz (#) May 25th, 2012 - 01:56 pm Report abuse
I'm sorry to tell you, but proove is present indicative, while prove is past indicative. I admit to spell thing wrong at times, but I don't tend to comment on people's spelling, and if you feel that need, make sure to learn your grammar first. We might be talking about different verbs, but the fact that your english is a bit restricted by your wits, is not my fault at all...

Everytime you guys spread lies, they are followed by excuses as to why you can't proove them, is that a coincidence, do you think?
19 skåre (#) May 25th, 2012 - 02:02 pm Report abuse
“I admit to spell thing wrong at times” is exactly what I would expect from the little boy who gets his proof confused with prove. *snigger*

I don't need to spread lies, because your own words condemn you over and over again. Lies are the preserve of the Kirchnerists who are unable to face the reality of the fact that Argentina stands alone, impotent and utterly friendless in the world.
20 Guzz (#) May 25th, 2012 - 02:08 pm Report abuse
The fact that you lack friends can't be projected on Argentina. I'll put it so even you can understand it. The fact that you don't consider them as friends doesn't mean they don't have any, it only means they are doing everything right to keep your sort where you belong.
Proove means the act of submitting evidence, prove (in tyhe case of proove) means the same in imperfect, while proof is a substantive, the evidence itself. Don't bother thanking me.
21 skåre (#) May 25th, 2012 - 02:11 pm Report abuse
Thanking you for talking bollocks? Don't worry, that isn't likely to happen, oh poor friendless one who needs to invent multiple online personalities in order to make it look like there are actually people who agree with his extremist racist drivel.
22 Max (#) May 25th, 2012 - 02:16 pm Report abuse
Repeated Drunkenness amongst teen-aged chidren (13--15 years old)
in Europe respectively are :

1) Denmark ; 34%(boys) -- 29 %(girls)

3) UK ; 32 % (boys)-- 33 % (girls)

4) Poland ; 30 % (boys) -- 19 % (girls)

5) Finland ; 29 % (boys) --- 27 % (girls)

6) Slovakia ; 27 %(boys) --- 21 % (girls)

7) Hungary 26 % (boys) --- 20 % (girls)

8) Austria ; 25 % (boys) --- 21 % (girls)

9)Czech Rplc ; 25 % (boys) --- 20 % (girls

10) Ireland ; 23 % (boys) --- 19 % ( girls)

----------------------

Sweden ; 16 % (boys ) ---- 16 % (girls)

Norway ; 14 % (boys) ----- 17 % (girls)
23 Guzz (#) May 25th, 2012 - 02:17 pm Report abuse
All my comments are under the name of Guzz, as I firmly stand by everything I post, although I admit to share the flaw of generalising. I couldn't care less if anyone here agrees on my posts, as I don't expect to convince any of you of anything. See my posts as a much needed counter weight to your bullshite...
24 skåre (#) May 25th, 2012 - 02:23 pm Report abuse
Excuse the extreme sarcasm in what follows .....

Yes, of course all your comments are posted under the name of Guzz and of course you aren't a liar. As for bullshit, I willingly acknowledge you to be the master of that, since that is all you spew all day long.
25 Guzz (#) May 25th, 2012 - 02:41 pm Report abuse
That's Norweigan sarcasm? You might have a thing or two to learn of the brits, I would say...
26 skåre (#) May 25th, 2012 - 02:45 pm Report abuse
Just a thing or two to learn - against your awful lot to learn form the Brits .. as witnessed by your general cluelessness and total inability to impersonate a Swede ;)
27 Guzz (#) May 25th, 2012 - 02:53 pm Report abuse
If I was to impersonate a Swede, I would start making silly jokes about you Norweigans. That's how they view you, witless Quislings with a language flaw...
Don't blame me now, I have naught to do with it...
28 skåre (#) May 25th, 2012 - 02:56 pm Report abuse
You really must do better than that (addressed to all your preposterous online personalities)
29 Conqueror (#) May 25th, 2012 - 03:08 pm Report abuse
Latin Americans don't “do” alcohol. They do narcotics.
30 Guzz (#) May 25th, 2012 - 03:16 pm Report abuse
They do, and most of it to satisfy USA's needs of evasion...
31 skåre (#) May 25th, 2012 - 03:17 pm Report abuse
I am sure they would do more alcohol if it was easier to snort. Perhaps someone needs to market dehydrated alcohol in Argentina ;)
32 Guzz (#) May 25th, 2012 - 03:32 pm Report abuse
You never tire in your wickedness :) Maybe Norway should start exporting Quislings and Breiviks, you seem to have loads of them :)
33 skåre (#) May 25th, 2012 - 03:39 pm Report abuse
.. says the guy who wants to be a swede and is proud of the billion tons of steel that Sweden fed into the Nazi war machine.

9 million wannabe Nazis in Sweden - plus all the actual Swedish Nazis who had to run away and hide in places like Argentina - so we have very little to worry about in Norway. How is that anti-Semitic city council doing in across the bridge in Malmø?
34 Guzz (#) May 25th, 2012 - 03:48 pm Report abuse
They fed iron ore, not steel... Attack Sweden all you want, even if I disagree with your statements, I'm not the one to defend the country, as I'm no Swede :)

But they DO think you are witless, even I grew tired of listening to all their stories about you folks :)
35 skåre (#) May 25th, 2012 - 03:56 pm Report abuse
So what? Danes and Norwegians think that Swedes are witless .. in fact the whole of the USA judges Sweden by the witless inbreds in Minnesota, so do you really think I should concern myself with what any swedes think? I don't - and, other than your clueless self, I doubt you will find anyone outside of Sweden who thinks I should.
36 Guzz (#) May 25th, 2012 - 04:01 pm Report abuse
I'm just telling you what your own neighbours think of you, maybe you are not the one to tell anyone how to treat their neighbours themselves, as, obviously, you lack those skills entirely...
37 skåre (#) May 25th, 2012 - 04:04 pm Report abuse
Again, given that you so clearly lack the skills you accuse me of lacking, I take your judgement with the pinch of salt it deserves .. which for a Nazi and a habitual liar such as yourself is so small as not to be able to register on any measure known to mankind.
38 Guzz (#) May 25th, 2012 - 04:08 pm Report abuse
Watch out skåre, craploads of young Norwiegans in the streets, you better reduce their amount to make a point to the muslims... :)
39 skåre (#) May 25th, 2012 - 04:14 pm Report abuse
Guzz

Care to try that in English?
40 Guzz (#) May 25th, 2012 - 04:16 pm Report abuse
Sure... Young Norweigans!!! TO ARMS!!!! ATTACK!!! For queen and country!!! Rule Brittania, Brittania rule the waves *hick*
41 skåre (#) May 25th, 2012 - 04:20 pm Report abuse
The attempt to appear drunk would be amusing if it wasn't in fact true that you really are pissed as the proverbial fart ;)
42 KFC de Pollo (#) May 25th, 2012 - 05:35 pm Report abuse
Maybe its the fact that pubs/bars in Argentina are ridiculously expensive. There are many many people drinking overpriced shite quilmes in restaurants though
43 Max (#) May 25th, 2012 - 07:40 pm Report abuse
& 41

This is a sentence in English..

“ For more information please press F 10 ”

which one is true in Norwegian of below sentences ?

“ For mer informasjon vennligst trykk F 10 ”“

” For meir informasjon trykk F 10 “”
44 Conqueror (#) May 25th, 2012 - 08:04 pm Report abuse
@43 Okay. Do I get three guesses? My first guess is that you're on crack. Is that right?
45 zulu99 (#) May 25th, 2012 - 08:08 pm Report abuse
I'm pretty sure the chick in that picture handing out beers could turn me into an alcoholic, at least for the day...
46 Max (#) May 25th, 2012 - 08:13 pm Report abuse
& 44

the unruly Conquerror

Do you know which one is true in Norwegian ?
47 Guzz… (#) May 25th, 2012 - 08:25 pm Report abuse
skare
So I am a befuddled schizophrenic, so what. Think, MistyThink and co are the only friends I have.
I need someone to talk to here in this disconsolate basement. No one else agrees with what I have to say.
I am as alone on the forum as I am in the world.
48 Thіnk (#) May 25th, 2012 - 08:29 pm Report abuse
Let it out Guzz. Tell them everything.
49 MistyThіnk (#) May 25th, 2012 - 08:34 pm Report abuse
I can’t tell them everything they will see what a lowly weasel I am. They already know that I am an Argie pretending to live in Uruguay one day. A Swede the next..What should be do Gustavito? Who should we be? Who can we hate more that ourselves?
We are worms!
I need a drink!
50 Max (#) May 25th, 2012 - 08:47 pm Report abuse
& 49

Would you say anything in Russian language (latin letters), let's listen ?
51 Μax (#) May 25th, 2012 - 08:59 pm Report abuse
...running around robbing banks all whacked on Scoobie snacks...
How's that?
52 Max (#) May 25th, 2012 - 09:08 pm Report abuse
Keep away from my imitated name (51)

proudful to see the imitation of original Rolex..Lacoste..C.Dior...
53 skåre (#) May 26th, 2012 - 04:17 am Report abuse
Mad Max, our schizophrenic Serbian troll never gives up, does he? Bloody onanist.
54 Guzz (#) May 26th, 2012 - 07:14 am Report abuse
Imposter
Think you posted under Mistythink pretending to be me... You fail even at being stupid... It's Tavito, not Gustavito, by the way...
55 Max (#) May 26th, 2012 - 08:53 am Report abuse
& 53

I 'll be waiting your reply on post @43 !
56 skåre (#) May 26th, 2012 - 09:22 am Report abuse

Listen knobhead, you'll have a bloody long wait then, because I have no intention whatsoever of answering your infantile and wholly irrelevant questions.

Hvis du vil ha et svar vennligst trykk F10 og sug din egen pikk.
57 Max (#) May 26th, 2012 - 09:27 am Report abuse
& 56

I just asked you a simple sentence for which one is true in Norwegian language at post @ 43...not wanting your writing any sentences from online translations.
58 skåre (#) May 26th, 2012 - 09:57 am Report abuse
@57 Max

You asked a wholly irrelevant questions (when you haven't even figured out how many pizza restaurants there are in Bodø and Oslo. You'd love for me to be as fake as you are, but unfortunately I am not and am therefore not like you and reliant of Goggle Translate for my incomprehensible gibberish. Now jog on.
59 Max (#) May 26th, 2012 - 10:17 am Report abuse
& 58

Which sentence is true in Norwegian Language ?
60 Guzz (#) May 26th, 2012 - 10:26 am Report abuse
Max
The Norweigans have (as far I know), two different setup of their language, bokmål and nynorsk. I can't tell you which one is which one, but I can surely tell you many sentences can be “true” in Norweigan. What more is, the biggest difference between your sentences is the word “vennligst”, which means “kindly”. So I would say both sentences are true, but I can't understand what it has to do with anything...
61 skåre (#) May 26th, 2012 - 10:28 am Report abuse
I refer you to my previous answer

... and still wouldn't answer your banal question if you were able to tell me whether it is Bokmål or Nynorsk that you regard as the “Norwegian Language”. Oh, sorry, didn't your Google skills extend to informing you that there are two very different official forms of written Norwegian and that different areas of Norway teach and adhere to different official written standards? Shame, but probably no more than one can expect from a clueless Serbian peasant on the run from a war crimes tribunal.

PS: if you even understood what you were writing, you would know that you were given a roundabout answer above in #56 *rolls eyes*
62 Max (#) May 26th, 2012 - 10:41 am Report abuse
& 60

Congratulations... most clever/wise mate in these forums.

both are true !

“” For meir informasjon trykk F 10 “” ..Nynorsk Norwegian

the other sentence is from other Norwegian language.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

by the way , if you press F 8 button your computer enters into “ turbo” charge mode automatically.
63 skåre (#) May 26th, 2012 - 10:44 am Report abuse
“ “” For meir informasjon trykk F 10 “” ..Nynorsk Norwegian”

Oh dear, your Google skills really have let you down very badly LOL
64 Max (#) May 26th, 2012 - 10:49 am Report abuse
& 63

Thats enough !
65 skåre (#) May 26th, 2012 - 10:53 am Report abuse

To embarrassing for a halfwit to have his dire Google skills shown up? Du jævla idiot!
66 Max (#) May 26th, 2012 - 10:59 am Report abuse
& 65

self control please !
67 skåre (#) May 26th, 2012 - 11:06 am Report abuse
@66 shitferbrains

“self control please !”

No, I'm not giving you any of mine. Go find your own.
68 MistyThink (#) May 26th, 2012 - 07:05 pm Report abuse
For all i see that one of our mates cant prove self living in Scandinavia.

May we say he(she) is a -- blackbox-- of Scamdinavia.?
69 skåre (#) May 26th, 2012 - 09:51 pm Report abuse
Max 'shiteferbrains' MistyThink is back in his 25th incarnation of the day :)
70 BLACK CAT (#) May 27th, 2012 - 03:54 am Report abuse
They don't drink as much in LA! could it be they get there kicks from wine gums and sniffing bar maids aprons?