Friday, October 19th 2012 - 05:25 UTC

Strong message from Lula da Silva to victorious Chavez: prepare your succession

Former Brazilian President Lula da Silva said he believes it is time for Venezuelan leader Hugo Chavez, recently re-elected for another six years, “to begin preparing his succession”

The former president said rotation in office is a conquest to humanity and must be respected

“There was an election in Venezuela with two main candidates, (Henrique) Capriles and Chavez, and I was convinced that the better man for Venezuela was Chavez. Now well, I also think it is time companion Chavez must begin to prepare his succession”, said Lula da Silva in an interview with Buenos Aires La Nacion.

The former president who is currently in Argentina for a business forum said that the Venezuelan constitution allows Chavez to be a presidential candidate for a fourth time, “but when he loses, his adversaries will also be able to run for office as many times as they wish, and I don’t think that is good”.

“That is the reason why I didn’t want a third mandate. Because if I had done so I would have wanted a fourth period, and then a fifth, and therefore if I want it for me, I want it for all who are running in politics. And for democracy rotation in office is a conquest of humanity and that is why we must keep it and respect it”, added Lula da Silva.

The former leader said that “if we compare the Venezuela of Chavez” with the Venezuela before Chavez, “it has improved greatly” and the poor people have earned their dignity, which is good for the whole of the people.

“South America has advanced much with Chavez. Because before in Venezuela even toilets were imported from the US, now they come from Brazil, Argentina and other countries. Venezuela started to look to South America and that is why I strongly defended the incorporation of Venezuela to Mercosur”, pointed out the ex president.

Regarding Mercosur decision on Paraguay, Lula da Silva said suspension was the right thing after having removed last June President Fernando Lugo following political impeachment by the Paraguayan Senate, a process whose legitimacy has been questioned by the other Mercosur members and neighbouring countries.

“We can’t allow politics to work that way: I sincerely believe that if people’s sovereignty which elects presidents is not respected and we begin removing people I think it debilitates democracy. (President Fernando) Lugo’s mandate ended next year!! I think Mercosur did the right thing”, he concluded.

1 Ozgood (#) Oct 19th, 2012 - 08:13 am Report abuse
Chavez may well think that he is immortal but he is not. With his health problems he probably will not see the end of his term in office. Lula is correct in telling him to prepare his successor.

Death is the ineluctable destiny of all living creatures.
2 ManRod (#) Oct 19th, 2012 - 09:21 am Report abuse

LMAO!!!! This comment killed me, I can't even categorize it... is it really that he meant it, or was it simply a sublime and superb mock?

If at least they would produce it themselves, I would have believed that Lula really meant it, but now south american countries that used to have a fraction of Venezuela's development in the 60ies and have surpassed them, is a very crafty way to humilliate him... toilets... tssss
3 Tinx (#) Oct 19th, 2012 - 10:12 am Report abuse
Lula ...don't warble incoherently...
you well know that Venezuela is not Brasil.
you well know that H.Chávez can easily obtain the next elections.
4 slattzzz (#) Oct 19th, 2012 - 10:26 am Report abuse
Photo..........It was this big
5 JoseAngeldeMonterrey (#) Oct 19th, 2012 - 11:41 am Report abuse
“the poor people have earned their dignity”

What a demagogue!
6 briton (#) Oct 19th, 2012 - 01:24 pm Report abuse
they treat him like a god.

they have just gone backwards in time,
rather than forwards.
7 Ozgood (#) Oct 19th, 2012 - 01:47 pm Report abuse
The cortico-steroids or whatever drugs his Cuban physicians have stuffed into him give him this false confidence. I wonder how he sleeps at night or is he another medical miracle?
8 Conqueror (#) Oct 19th, 2012 - 03:11 pm Report abuse
Lulu da Silver. King of corruption. Notice that he doesn't believe in democracy. The people shouldn't be able choose. “the poor people have earned their dignity”. Bu they are still poor. Because Chavez believes that 20th century armaments are more important than the economic and social situation of “his” poor people. And Lulu believes in corruption, criminality, dishonesty, lies. Sounds like CFK and Chavez.
9 ProRG_American (#) Oct 19th, 2012 - 04:46 pm Report abuse
Lula always makes sense.
10 ChrisR (#) Oct 19th, 2012 - 06:12 pm Report abuse
Lula always makes sense?

Which part of the Dark Continent that is modern day argie-land are you from?

Lula is a thief but won’t get charged and is allowed to swan around LatAm as if he was a giant on the worlds stage.

But from his diatribe about toilets in Venezuela I think he has an excellent second career as a stand-up-comedian!

Lula and Chavez deserve each other and TMBOA makes it a threesome!

Ughhh, what a mental picture that makes.

LOLs
11 BAMF Paraguay (#) Oct 19th, 2012 - 07:25 pm Report abuse
So what is TMBOA?
12 Ottona (#) Oct 19th, 2012 - 08:26 pm Report abuse
If you would see how Lula's relatives in Northeast Brazil STILL live - you would start a collection, even in your Port Stanley ! Of course, their standard of living has improved like that of virtually all Brazilians - but Lula's relatives obviously did not get any more benefits then anybody else on their level. Lula returned to live in his working-class-neighborhood in Sao Paulo. The genius of Lula is his practical working-man's approach: “Don't fix it if it ain't broke!” But instead , like the trade union negotiator that he was - negotiate for “improved benefits”: That is what Lula delivered since 2003. Now the system is tacitly applied in South America - even in Colombia, also in Peru, Bolivia, Ecuador. Lula and Nestor Kirchner had been “suggesting” to both Chavez in Venezuela and to Santos in Colombia - to adopt this “pragmatic approach” - nationalistic development (including NATIONALISTIC private business”) with social benefits for the majority. Now, Lula is “suggesting” that Chavez should think about who would follow him as president in case of disability. Chavez just appointed Maduro as the new Vice-President. That should be sufficient for the time being!
13 ptolemy (#) Oct 19th, 2012 - 09:34 pm Report abuse
”And for democracy rotation in office is a conquest of humanity and that is why we must keep it and respect it”,..wow, someone in South America finally figured it out. Hope CFK is listening.
14 Think (#) Oct 19th, 2012 - 09:43 pm Report abuse
(12) Ottona

Your comments are loaded with a lot of common sense......
Not so common in here at MercoPress.....
May I ask, where you are from....?

Best Regards
El Think
Chubut
Argentina
15 Saint Thunderlips the Amazing (#) Oct 19th, 2012 - 10:06 pm Report abuse
Meanwhile, South America is enjoying the highest growth rates not seen since the huge demand for goods during WW2.

And there never was any corruption in South America before the left started winning elections, right? LOL
16 BAMF Paraguay (#) Oct 19th, 2012 - 10:40 pm Report abuse
#15 - Corruption is rampant in both the left right up down, it doesn't matter, power will corrupt anyone. As for your growth rate idea, well Paraguay, apparently the only evil right wing country left in South America, is experiencing good growth as well. Next year I think there is an expectation of 14% or so; probably the highest in the world.
17 Frank (#) Oct 19th, 2012 - 11:22 pm Report abuse
The posters here seem stuck behind their barracades..

Lula makes sense..
' the Venezuelan constitution allows Chavez to be a presidential candidate for a fourth time, “but when he loses, his adversaries will also be able to run for office as many times as they wish, and I don’t think that is good”.'

I think the 'two term' limit is a 'good thing' when you have a presidential system.
Its not an issue under the Westminster system as the PM can be given the Royal Order of the Boot at any old time.
18 Guzz (#) Oct 20th, 2012 - 08:38 am Report abuse
Frank
So you should be allowed to choose your leaders at will, and re-elect them should you feel you want, but not us? Pedazo de hipocrita, I think we'll just do it our way...

These Brits are not normal, they all havea go at SA today, screaming theft amd corruption. Tell me dear Brits, why didn't you lot cry out 10 years ago? 20? Today we don't need you lot, so just shovel your moral prayers, because that's just what you got, prayers. And take your religion with you, as in have a go at your own kids, as usual.
19 ChrisR (#) Oct 20th, 2012 - 10:40 am Report abuse
11 BAMF Paraguay

Wait for it: The Mad Bitch Of Argentina (TMBOA) none other than the President. :o)

@18 Guzz

Your system has no method of getting shut of the likes of TMBOA short of assassination or revolution, in our system the government can fall to a vote of no confidence and they have to go.

Then the Queen and political advisors decide who is is to take over until a new election can be arranged.

Far more civilised and to the point. But heh, we are comparing AG (The Dark One) with a western society.
20 Guzz (#) Oct 20th, 2012 - 11:11 am Report abuse
So you mean you lot are free to choose whom you want as long as some few pre-chosen ones agrees with your options? Nah thanks, we'll work for grassroot-democracy, regardless of what you think. The people chooses, period.
21 ChrisR (#) Oct 20th, 2012 - 01:47 pm Report abuse
20 Guzz

Guzz, come on!

I KNOW you are not stupid, stop acting like it.
22 BAMF Paraguay (#) Oct 20th, 2012 - 06:49 pm Report abuse
#20 Guzz - I can agree with you partially. The democratic systems of the USA (I lived there so I'll make mention of it) is clearly flawed. There are only two options, and those are essentially pre-chosen as you have mentioned. There is rampant election fraud in the primaries, but it isn't illegal so not much can be done. And I don't doubt that there is some, not much, but some election fraud in the general elections. You see, I can openly criticize my government, make mention of the things that they do wrong. CFK, or TMBOA (thanks Chris that did make me laugh), EVO, Corea, Hugo have all abused their powers. I understand you believe in a “just” socialistic society. But you have to recognize that these rulers are only after power and money, but mainly power. They don't care about the people, they use the people. I won't criticize Sweden and a few other socialistic societies, because it does work for them and you know what, there is freedom there. Freedom of press, of movement, etc. Just because Hugo says he is for the people doesn't mean you should just believe him. Just as I am critical of my leaders, you should as well. Or else you'll just be another brain dead zombie wearing a Che Guevara shirt protesting against the opening of a multinational company.
23 Guzz (#) Oct 20th, 2012 - 07:01 pm Report abuse
Oh but I do criticize my leaders. Rosencof for forgiving the police, I criticize. Huidobro for acting as nothing happened, Pepe himself for not have done more to put common criminals behind bars, old as they are... ;)
24 Fido Dido (#) Oct 21st, 2012 - 12:09 am Report abuse
“put common criminals behind bars, old as they are...”

Uhmm, that sounds familiar to me. They should do the same thing where I live and in Europe, but who am I kidding, so far never going to happen. Anyway, back to the topic, Mr Lula did a good/great job for his people..after all, that's what government suppose to do, be for the people, by the people and with the people.
25 DeMouraBR (#) Oct 21st, 2012 - 12:49 am Report abuse
“The people are not interested in the trial, they want to know if Palmeiras will go down in the football division and if my candidate will win”
~ Inácio, Luiz . About the corruption trial in Brazil.
That's enough to understand my disgust towards this moron.
26 British_Kirchnerist (#) Oct 28th, 2012 - 12:37 am Report abuse
Lula talks a lot of sense and is a very impressive man. I don't think it would necessarily be so bad if term limits stay and a Cristinista candidate of the left was elected in 2015 with the blessing of Cristina. But if Cristina wants to stand again, and the people want her, that should be allowed. Either she will be Chavez, re-elected indefinately, or Lula, retired from office but still active as a respected world figure. Not bad either way really =)