Thursday, December 13th 2012 - 07:12 UTC

Panama files dispute before WTO against Argentina’s trade restrictions

Panama filed a dispute against Argentina at the World Trade Organization on Wednesday alleging the government of President Cristina Fernandez had broken WTO rules by discriminating against imports of goods and services.

The imports non automatic licences and ‘balanced’ imports with exports are the main complaint

Panama's complaint is the eighth WTO dispute involving Argentina since May, equal to the total number of WTO disputes globally in the whole of last year. The EU, US, Japan and Mexico have also filed complaints regarding alleged restrictions to trade on the side of Argentina.

The administration of President Cristina Fernandez rebutted by filing trade restriction complaints against the US, EU and particularly Spain.

Diplomatic sources said the Panamanian complaint refers to measures involving taxes, companies’ registry, limits to sending benefits overseas and financial services activities.

The filing of the complaint means both sides have sixty days to try and solve the dispute, and if finally there is no accord, plaintiffs can request the WTO to name a panel of experts to rule on the issue.

The frictions were born out of Argentina’s strict restrictions on imports, which have been described by over forty countries as ‘protectionist’ and contrary to free trade. Restrictions are applied through the non automatic licences which supposedly ‘cool’ imports for sixty days although the timetable is rarely respected by Argentina.

These governments argue that exports to Argentina as a result of restrictive policies have fallen dramatically, but the government of Cristina Fernandez says imports from those countries have actually increased substantially, well above the growth rate of Argentine exports.

Another complaint is that licences extended by Argentina are part of a ‘balanced trade” policy which demands importers to ship overseas similar values or invests locally to have their licences approved.

Argentina has also had clashes and complaints from its neighbours and Mercosur members such as Brazil, Chile, Paraguay and Uruguay.

1 Idlehands (#) Dec 13th, 2012 - 12:14 pm Report abuse
Simple response - close the canal to any Argentine flagged vessel.
2 Clyde15 (#) Dec 13th, 2012 - 12:20 pm Report abuse
This cannot be so......the whole of Latin America and the world agree with Argentina on EVERYTHING.
3 Captain Poppy (#) Dec 13th, 2012 - 12:43 pm Report abuse
I don't think argentina has any blue water merchant vessels.
4 Nostrolldamus The 2nd (#) Dec 13th, 2012 - 01:34 pm Report abuse
More enemies? Bring them on.
5 Conqueror (#) Dec 13th, 2012 - 01:49 pm Report abuse
@4 Look at that. 40 countries AGAINST you. Who'll be next? Is there any “country” that isn't against you. Oh, sorry, I forgot. You have a little organisation of your own. “Pariahs of the World”!
6 Nostrolldamus The 2nd (#) Dec 13th, 2012 - 01:51 pm Report abuse

It is find mind you. Argentines love being hated. It is not us who will pay for trying to destroy our country and way of life.
7 Viva Las Falklands (#) Dec 13th, 2012 - 02:02 pm Report abuse
“It is find mind you”. Is this Olde English then Tobias. You certainly keep the profits up for Collins.
8 Nostrolldamus The 2nd (#) Dec 13th, 2012 - 02:04 pm Report abuse
“It is fine”.... happy.

Just like “by virtue” ... happy Monty?

I have such an expansive IQ I can remember the most picayune of details effortlessly.
9 LEPRecon (#) Dec 13th, 2012 - 02:22 pm Report abuse
@8 Tobias

Your IQ is average at best.

The only people intent on destroying Argentina are your government and YOU.

Eventually one of three things will happen:

1. Argentina gets a decent government, one who honours the treaties it signs.
2. Argentina will be cut off from the rest of the world and become like North Korea.
3. Argentina will p!ss off the wrong country who will give you a good shoeing. My bet it'll be China.

Good luck in your poverty Tobias.
10 Pirat-Hunter (#) Dec 13th, 2012 - 02:22 pm Report abuse
Panama lol isn't that a US province. I don't think a trive run by an alien state count but let them complain we have never nor will ever trade with panama, we don't offer them anything and we don't want anything from Panama. Good Parana.
11 Condorito (#) Dec 13th, 2012 - 02:37 pm Report abuse
You shouldn’t celebrate your country’s actions and I doubt that you really approve them. Argentina is behaving like those people who use the bus or metro, but don’t pay. They get away with it due to a mixture of public apathy, reluctance of most citizens to pick a fight and even a little sympathy from some. The problem is that at some point the good people decide they have had enough and throw you off the bus.

12 Nostrolldamus The 2nd (#) Dec 13th, 2012 - 02:43 pm Report abuse
“Yeh, yeh, I know the bus is foreign built, uses leaded petrol, the driver hates you, you don’t want anything to do with the other passengers, the bus will probably crash and it is good exercise walking anyway.”

You are the wittiest, sangfroid contributor here, with an admirable equanimity in conduct. And to top it off, you can redact cogent analysis/opinion.

If all antis were as yourself, this website would be an outpost of elevated colloquy instead of a mudpit of porcine wallow.
13 Simon68 (#) Dec 13th, 2012 - 02:51 pm Report abuse
6 Nostrolldamus The 2nd (#)
Dec 13th, 2012 - 01:51 pm

Tobias, you just keep on doing it, you DO NOT speak for us all, and in no way do I like being hated, quite the reverse. I personally am happy to like everybody and hope that most people like me, that way there are fewer conflicts!!!!!
14 Nostrolldamus The 2nd (#) Dec 13th, 2012 - 02:53 pm Report abuse

YOU ARE NOT ARGENTINE!!! You are an expat of some sort! Like the many one meets in Mendoza all the time, talking about how glad they are to have left the north with its eternal stream of bad news and depressing developments.
15 Captain Poppy (#) Dec 13th, 2012 - 03:19 pm Report abuse
There are more Agentine's like Simon then teenage la campora's like you tobi

#6
And it's the UPE.....United Pariahs of Earth. lol All 3 or 4 of them.....
16 yankeeboy (#) Dec 13th, 2012 - 03:23 pm Report abuse
Toby, How was the riot at Obelisco last night?
Was it filled with nice peaceful happy people?

You know the Expats will leave if the economy gets much worse and riots start breaking out don't you?

They're the lucky ones, like me, that can go back to civilization any time they want. They'll leave for the same reasons I did.
17 Chicureo (#) Dec 13th, 2012 - 03:24 pm Report abuse
Oh well, 8 countries with WTO claims against Argentina... Plus all the other conflicts regarding seized assets, and generally upsetting most civilized nations, does have some positive aspects:
1. It keeps a lot of Argentinian goverment workers activity employed.
2. The “mad empress without clothes” has more excuses of why she is being unfairly persecuted.
3. It's a great example for other countries not to consider the Argentine model for economics.
4. A gentile reminder for a probable socialist president in Chile to continue maintaining a strong defense budget.
18 Nostrolldamus The 2nd (#) Dec 13th, 2012 - 03:34 pm Report abuse
Hahaha, a NorthAmerican talking about civilization. If it wasn't tragic it would be abderian.
19 Simon68 (#) Dec 13th, 2012 - 04:13 pm Report abuse
14 Nostrolldamus The 2nd (#)
Dec 13th, 2012 - 02:53 pm

Yes I am, and 5th generation. My maternal ancestors are Mapuche, and my paternal ones were Vasco/French.

What I don't like is the arrogant way you try to speak for all of us on this web page. All you can do is speak for yourself!!!!!
20 yankeeboy (#) Dec 13th, 2012 - 04:19 pm Report abuse
No guards, no walls, no commando assaults or kidnappings to worry about.
It is a security you will never know.
and the main reason I moved back TO CIVILIZATION
We had so many commando assaults and kidnappings in my neighborhood in BA is was terrifying!
and I noticed it is getting much worse there day by day

When hyperinflation hits people will probably kill you for a bag of sugar.
I hope you stocked up
21 Condorito (#) Dec 13th, 2012 - 04:31 pm Report abuse
Interestingly, the US and Argentina have approximately the same homicide rate.
22 yankeeboy (#) Dec 13th, 2012 - 04:47 pm Report abuse
I think I read somewhere that crime rates have not been reported since 2010.
It is common knowledge that crime is escalating rapidly I wonder if they will ever release the current stats,
23 Nostrolldamus The 2nd (#) Dec 13th, 2012 - 05:21 pm Report abuse
“Well just one little example, I can walk up and knock on the front door of a U$35MM house down the street from me.”

Yankeeboy, just because you live within the ranch of some oil baron sorrounded by 10 hectares of zealously patrolled farmland. So of course you can walk up to the 35 million dollar house... you sleep in the stables and report to work at the door by 6am!
24 yankeeboy (#) Dec 13th, 2012 - 05:42 pm Report abuse
No I live in a major city, one of the most beautiful cities in the world, safe, clean, quiet with polite happy people going to work and enjoying themselves everyday.
25 Optimus_Princeps (#) Dec 13th, 2012 - 05:55 pm Report abuse
@23 I'm curious. What part of Argentina do you live? The only way that anyone wouldn't have a problem with the current state of affairs if they're a lazy dimwitted lowlife that collects government checks and whose family and friends are the ones causing the mayhem on the news everyday. The types of people that use their siblings to beg for coins a 5, drug mules at 9, and prostitutes at 13. The types of people that have their nephews/nieces when their still teens because their uncle forced themselves upon their sister, and worst of all they don't care.

Do you collect a government check or were you handed a government job?

You've posted a lot of anti-US/European drivel, but I want you to for once talk about the domestic situation and tell me if it bothers you.
26 Nostrolldamus The 2nd (#) Dec 13th, 2012 - 05:56 pm Report abuse

Sure you do... happy like this:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=qs_2q_erTK0

www.youtube.com/watch?v=_HeHMzYKLJI

What a happy country, wanna move there right now.
27 Clyde15 (#) Dec 13th, 2012 - 06:06 pm Report abuse
Simon68
I have said this before, do not take this forum as being representative of the public in the UK. The opinions expressed are purely the opinions of the contributors. Frankly, I am embarrassed by some of the vindictive and foul language used on this site - on both sides.
Like the people in the UK they just want to get on with their lives without any hassle.
Politicians are the same , some good and some bad.
When you vote, you hope they will improve things for all but power also goes to their heads and they gradually turn into dictators if left in long enough.
After this preamble, what I mean to say is, if I post anything derogatory against the Argentine, I mean the government and not people such as you.

As for Nos., my perception is that he is a young academic who is a bit devolved from the real world and relishes the challenge of showing off his debating powers and his self-proclaimed knowledge in a style of English that would fail him from university entrance in the UK.
28 Nostrolldamus The 2nd (#) Dec 13th, 2012 - 06:15 pm Report abuse

Have you ever read “Martin Fierro”? Therein lies your answer.

Besides, don't you get enough debate about Argentina's domestic affairs from the Anti-northern-fiends?
29 Optimus_Princeps (#) Dec 13th, 2012 - 06:33 pm Report abuse
I wanted to hear it from you in your own words. My neighborhood was a nice place to live up until 3 years ago. It's now covered in spray paint, and it's no longer safe to go outside without an instrument of self defense. These are things that have an immediate effect on daily life that are effected by the ineffective police and massive government handouts.

There are accounts of the servants of manor lords having wicked tendencies, largely due to having their life's expenses covered no matter what. Hard work develops character, and strengthens a society. Free money creates these kinds of problems. Are you in the least bit worried about your family's safety?
30 Nostrolldamus The 2nd (#) Dec 13th, 2012 - 06:53 pm Report abuse
I don't discuss domestic affairs in a forum overrun by foreign entities who manifest clear antipathy and animus towards this country. I have no idea where you reside, nor does it matter honestly, but if your account is genuine... that's most unfortunate. However, things change. Some neighborhoods lose their formerly serene nature, new ones are built further out by those seeking to regain such tranquility. That is true in this nation and around this planet. There are even some neighborhoods that become “reglizted” arfter having decayed and remained forlorn for some time (San Telmo being an fitting example).

Cities are living organisms, and do not remain exanimate.

To discourse on argentine politics here is a non-starter. Again, pore over Martin Fierro.

The “outsiders” are at the gates with their flails and flares, ready to burn us all downin a pyre of revanche or tear us asunder as a rag, at the first sign of evinced internecine contetion.
31 yankeeboy (#) Dec 13th, 2012 - 06:56 pm Report abuse
29. The police in Argentina are worse than ineffective, most of them commit the crimes! When I moved to Argentina my friends told me to never call the Police and NEVER let them on your property.
Another thing we don't worry about here in the USA

My friend's grandmother lives in San Isidro and is terrified to leave the house because all of her friends have been injured while being mugged. She has lived in the same house for over 50 yrs!
32 TroneasOne (#) Dec 13th, 2012 - 07:02 pm Report abuse
@1. And why would exactly Argentine flagged vessels have any interest in using the Panama canal? and you people are supposed to have common sense...
33 Nostrolldamus The 2nd (#) Dec 13th, 2012 - 07:02 pm Report abuse

And you see “Optimus Princeps”... Right on queue.
34 Conqueror (#) Dec 13th, 2012 - 07:42 pm Report abuse
@27 Don't be ridiculous. Statistics indicate that 60% of argies are like Nosy. Pick a negative word and it will doubtless apply. Hopefully, 40% of Argentines are like Simon. Educated, intelligent, sensible. That is why one must differentiate between argies and Argentines. In case you don't get, CFK is an argie. But it's not enough. The backward, ignorant, neanderthal, uneducated argies are violent. They need to be reduced, by whatever means are necessary, to no more than 5% of the population. To give Argentines like Simon a fighting chance. But fighting WILL be necessary. The mindless mob characterised by Nosy will have to be defeated. Possibly destroyed. Without a second thought. Regrettably, every society has such mindless louts. A society's success can be measured by the degree to which it has destroyed the neanderthals.
@30 You don't “discuss” anything with anyone of significance. You don't have sufficient education, intelligence or maturity. I appreciate that you may have made as much progress as that of which you are currently capable. However, it would probably be best if you stayed away until you have finished kindergarten. We are aware that parrots can “speak” advanced words. But parrots are neither educated nor intelligent. Can you laugh? So can hyenas. And that is what you remind me of. An uneducated, unintelligent, scavenging, carrion-eater. A bottom feeder. Whose ass are you eating from?
@32 It's somewhere where the “crew” can stick their feet down and feel the bottom. Otherwise, they have a “Belgrano” moment. “Target. Mark. Shoot!” Glug, glug, glug!
35 ElaineB (#) Dec 13th, 2012 - 07:53 pm Report abuse
@31 There was a shoot-out in downtown Buenos Aires today.

@29 He does discuss his domestic situation on this forum a lot. He tells us often that he lives in Mendoza, that all is well there with little crime and a booming economy. He left education early through circumstances beyond his control but he continues to educate himself, presumably online. He is young and poor which he is very proud of because he believes poverty equals freedom.

Other than that he tells us he doesn't date girls or boys, appears to live on the edge of society, has NPD and wants the Argentina to be as isolated from the world as he is from society.

I have pulled him up for speaking for an entire nation - he sometimes tries to speak for the whole world - because it undermines his assertions. He is perfectly entitled to make his opinions known but his constant need to claim he speaks for a whole country is a classic NPD symptom. I have met and am friends with many Argentines but have never met any like TTT.

He is idealist (not a bad thing to be) but with no life experience to set it against. The arrogance of youth, I guess.
36 Nostrolldamus The 2nd (#) Dec 13th, 2012 - 08:11 pm Report abuse

Clap, clap, clap.

Kudos, to this piece I must accord, with reluctance of pride given the source conflicting with a duty to confer what is merited. Wry humor, but more touching of all was the near punctilious concern for biographical detail. And I appreciate any patent attempt at being compendious and succint yet exact.

Good post Elaine, were it not you who redacted it I would catalogue it as a demure hagiography. My accolades.
37 dab14763 (#) Dec 13th, 2012 - 08:17 pm Report abuse
Right on queue

on 'cue' not 'queue'
38 Nostrolldamus The 2nd (#) Dec 13th, 2012 - 08:29 pm Report abuse
Thank you. Pedantry is a most underappreciated form of admonishment but essential in vocabulary and math.
39 slattzzz (#) Dec 13th, 2012 - 08:47 pm Report abuse
@25 He doesn't live in Argentina Sweden isn't it GUZZ
40 Captain Poppy (#) Dec 13th, 2012 - 09:01 pm Report abuse
Elaine I married an Arentine and nerver,ever met any like him or any that claim to be argentine on this site. Then again I never met any that like cfk either.
41 Clyde15 (#) Dec 13th, 2012 - 10:39 pm Report abuse
#30
That's the trouble, you don't discuss.
You pontificate,preach and harangue to satisfy your ego, believing that using arcane and verbose language, this will convince people that your thoughts have gravitas and must merit deep respect.
Wrong !
42 Nostrolldamus The 2nd (#) Dec 13th, 2012 - 10:45 pm Report abuse
What is it with the commoner's logophobia?

No I don't discuss, with you. Do you discuss with me British “politics”?
43 Pirat-Hunter (#) Dec 13th, 2012 - 10:59 pm Report abuse
#31 USA armed created and organized bin laden and the Al-CIA, giving terrorists refuge in Pakistan the US secret allay, I don't think neither Brits nor north Americans have the moral grounds to even talk about right and wrongs to Argentines, so do us all a favor and keep your views to your own nation, and if you are all going to trash Argentina please don't come cry wolf later blaming us for being protectionist, when in reality we defend our country. If you don't like Argentina go back to your country, Simple no one in Argentina wants none of you here.
44 Captain Poppy (#) Dec 14th, 2012 - 12:23 am Report abuse
#43 piss holer.........you are correct, you don't think. If you do not like the posts here, do not turn on your Canadian internet.
45 St.John (#) Dec 15th, 2012 - 07:55 pm Report abuse
@ 27 Clyde15

“I do not hate ANY Argentinian. I assume that they are , in the main, just like anybody else - good and bad.”

I have lived more than three years in Argentina and can confirm that you are absolutely right.

Most Argentinos in the provinces are very good and friendly people. Buenos Aires OTOH suffers from being too populous, lots of nice people, but even a small percentage of them can give it a bad name.
46 British_Kirchnerist (#) Dec 22nd, 2012 - 11:04 pm Report abuse
Is Panama stillone of those US puppets in Central America then?