Thursday, May 22nd 2014 - 01:01 UTC

Uruguay reported a trade deficit of 1.38bn dollars in the twelve months to April

Beef and soy beans remain the main export items although the most dynamic has been dairy produce

Uruguay’s goods’ foreign trade in the twelve months to April 2014 reported a deficit of 1.38 billion dollars with exports totaling 10.42 billion and imports 11.185bn, according to the country’s Chamber of Industries Economic Studies Unit based on data from Customs.

Tuesday, May 20th 2014 - 19:35 UTC

Falklands visited by Punta Arenas experts in ports, logistics and shipping

Left to right: Stacey Bragger FI Chamber of Commerce, Felipe Carvallo ULOG, Milenko Buljan Agunsa, Ignacio Covacevic EPA, Marcelo Mahuzier ASMAR and Alvaro Insua of Galicia shipping.

A group of managers representing Punta Arenas port facilities, logistic companies and shipping companies visited the Falkland Islands last week with an ultimate aim to offer solutions to the current and future commercial needs of the Islands.

Tuesday, May 20th 2014 - 08:42 UTC

Rousseff announces 70bn dollars for Brazilian agriculture at 6.5% interest

Brazil is one of the world's main exporters of soybeans, coffee and corn

President Dilma Rousseff announced Monday that the government will make available to Brazil's farmers and ranchers a 156.1 billion Reais (70.5 billion dollars) credit line, a hike of 14.7% over the previous season.

Thursday, May 15th 2014 - 00:38 UTC

Next US ambassador to Uruguay could be a New Mexico sheep farmer

Mujica made the announcement after meeting with US Secretary of Agriculture Vilsack

Uruguayan president Jose Mujica said that the future US ambassador in Montevideo could “probably” be Edward Avalos, currently Under Secretary for trade and regulatory programs from the US Department of Agriculture.

Wednesday, May 14th 2014 - 05:19 UTC

Mujica meets Kerry to implement support at technology and education levels

Secretary Kerry described Uruguay as an old reliable friend of the US

President Jose Mujica addressing US Secretary of State John Kerry said that Uruguay has a significant deficit in technology and scientific education, and was hopeful that cooperation with the United States would help insisting that the goal is achieving equality and wealth distribution.

Saturday, May 10th 2014 - 00:45 UTC

Latam and Caribbean committed to eradicate hunger in the region by 2025

All thirty-three countries of the region signed up at the FAO conference in Chile

Countries of Latin America and the Caribbean have advanced a robust agenda aimed at achieving the eradication of hunger in the region, during a major FAO meeting which concluded on Friday in Chile.

Saturday, May 10th 2014 - 00:05 UTC

Despite some setbacks, FAO expects second largest cereal production this year

Overall the FAO food price index was 3.5% down compared to a year ago

Weather conditions in various countries and political tensions in the Black Sea region have made food markets more volatile, FAO reports in the new Food Outlook. In its first major forecast for 2014, FAO puts cereal production at 2 458 million tons (including milled rice), down some 2.4% from the 2013 record, though global output is still expected to be the second largest ever.

Monday, May 5th 2014 - 07:04 UTC

Uruguay displaces Argentina as the main supplier of milk to Brazil

Dairy farming in Uruguay has been increasing sustainably for decades

Uruguay's dairy industry has overtaken Argentina as the main supplier of milk to Brazil, according to Globo Rural, a Brazilian site which specializes in farming news. “Brazil's imports were globally 60% Argentine milk and the rest, 40% from Uruguay, but now Uruguay has moved to over 50%, meaning Argentina is losing ground in Latam largest economy and leading Mercosur partner”, Anibal Schaller manager of the Milk Industry Center, admitted to Globo Rural.

Friday, May 2nd 2014 - 09:46 UTC

Major dairy farming invester in Uruguay sells land to recoup losses

Singapore Olam took control of the 49 dairy farms NZ farming company had in Uruguay

NZ Farming Systems Uruguay, the dairy unit of Singapore-based Olam International in Uruguay, has sold some 7,771 hectares of farm land in Uruguay to local interests for about 53.7 million dollars in gross cash proceeds. The transactions would free up cash “for redeployment into more value-accretive projects,” Olam said in a statement.

Monday, April 28th 2014 - 23:53 UTC

Coffee prices soar as Brazil's crop plummets because of adverse weather

Don't be surprised at the higher prices for an 'expresso'

Because of adverse climate conditions Brazil’s Arabica coffee prices have recently surged 94%, to 2.144 dollars for half a kilogram ($2.30) on the New York futures market.


Get Email News Reports!

Get our news right on your inbox.
Subscribe Now!