Far-right presidential candidate Jair Bolsonaro is the clear frontrunner in Brazil’s election in October with up to 25% of voter support, followed by center-left populist Ciro Gomes with 12%, a new poll revealed on Tuesday.
Brazilian industrial production increased 0.8% in April, marking a return to positive growth after dropping by 0.1% in March, the government announced on Tuesday. According to the report by Brazil's statistics bureau, IBGE, the industrial sector has grown 4.5% so far in 2018.
The World Organization for Animal Health (OIE) has officially declared Brazil as a country free from Foot-and-Mouth Disease (FMD) with vaccination. The decision for this occurred late May, in Paris. The decision took place after approval last year from the OIE’s scientific committee, which is constituted by 181 member states.
Brazil's financial market has downgraded its 2018 economic growth forecast from 2.37% to 2.18%, according to a Focus poll released on Monday by the Central Bank. Four weeks ago, a similar survey of the country's leading financial institutions showed GDP was expected to expand 2.7%.
Brazil's trade balance recorded a US$ 5.981 billion surplus in May, resulting from US$ 19.224 billion in exports and US$ 13.260 billion in imports, said the Ministry of Industry, Foreign Trade and Services (MDIC).
Walmart gave no price for the transaction, in which Advent takes an 80% stake in Walmart Brazil and leaves Walmart with 20%. But the Arkansas-based mega retailer said it would take a US$ 4.5 billion charge on the deal in the second quarter, much of that related to cumulative foreign exchange losses.
The growth of manufacturing activity in Brazil slowed for a second straight month in May, a private survey showed on Friday, a sign that a weaker currency and political uncertainty are taking a toll on Latin America's largest economy.
The 10-day-long Brazilian striking truckers protests are winding down and companies from meatpackers to soy crushers are resuming operations. Some problems persist in some sectors and will need time to recover. Primary estimates of losses for farmers' sector could reach US$ 1.77bn
Brazilian oil workers began a 72-hour strike on Wednesday in a new blow to President Michel Temer following a nationwide trucker protest that has strangled Latin America's largest economy for over a week. The strike affecting several rigs, refineries, plants and ports is the latest challenge for state-led oil firm Petrobras, whose shares have tumbled nearly 30% in two weeks over fears that political interference would unwind more investor-focused policies.
Petrobras and Brazil’s government are “very close” to resolving a long-running dispute over an oil-rich offshore area, a deputy minister said, dismissing concerns a fuel pricing crisis had emerged as an obstacle in talks.