Working in conjunction with Sulivan Shipping expedition cruise company Polar Latitudes has announced plans for the First Annual Falkland Islands Music Festival (Falkstock) to be held in March as a celebration of the end of season.
Fears of 2014 World Cup disruptions resurface as major football conference is called off by Rio authorities
Fears about disruption to next year's World Cup have been raised after the key global football conference Soccerex was cancelled for disputed reasons. Soccerex organizers said Rio de Janeiro's state government had called off next month's event due to concerns about ongoing civil unrest in Brazil.
“We are encouraged to see the natural progression of the Falklands tourist board on a path to worldwide recognition”, said Managing Director Tony Mason who announced plans for the establishment of an Islands' tourist board branch in London.
Brazil's consumer watchdog Procon Rio do Janeiro branch has ordered five airlines to reduce abusive domestic fares during next year's FIFA World Cup. Avianca, TAM, Gol, Azul and Oceanair have been accused of inflating prices up to 10-fold during the June 12-July 13 tournament.
Italy’s tax collection agency says it has formally notified Diego Maradona that it will begin procedures to freeze his assets in Italy to pay off his tax debt of 39 million Euros or 53 million dollars.
Senior officials from the England team which bid to host the 2018 World Cup are meeting a lawyer appointed by FIFA to investigate allegations of wrong-doping surrounding the voting process.
Gibraltar Under-19 national football squad left the Rock en route to be the first team representing Gibraltar in a European Championship Qualifier. The first stop is in Bulgaria, where the Gibraltar players will prepare with a friendly against the Bulgarian national team. From there, they will travel to the Czech Republic to compete at the European Championships.
A total of 6,164,682 requests for tickets for the 2014 FIFA World Cup had been received when the initial application period ended on Thursday 10 October 2013, of which 70.86% were from Brazil, with the remaining 29.14% from the rest of the world.
American rockers Aerosmith have declared themselves fans of Uruguayan leader Jose Mujica, a colourful former guerrilla known for his simple lifestyle. But the 78-year-old Mujica can't say the same of Aerosmith, admitting after meeting with band members that he hadn't heard any of their songs.
President Dilma Rousseff nominated a senior army officer to fill one of the top roles in organizing the 2016 summer Olympic Games in Rio de Janeiro. Major General Fernando Azevedo e Silva’s appointment to head the Olympic Public Authority, which coordinates the work of state and local governments, has gone to Brazil’s senate to be ratified, the nation’s official gazette said.