MercoPress, en Español

Montevideo, September 29th 2022 - 13:30 UTC

 

 

Brazil strikes onshore light oil in the Amazonas state; record oil and gas in 2011

Sunday, February 5th 2012 - 07:47 UTC
Full article 5 comments
The country’s daily production reached 2.214m bpd The country’s daily production reached 2.214m bpd

Brazil's state-controlled oil company Petrobras announced last week it had struck good-quality light oil in the Solimoes Basin, in the state of Amazonas.

The company said in a market filing that the find had the capacity to produce 1,400 barrels of light weight, 41-degree API oil a day, as well as 45,000 cubic meters of natural gas. The well is onshore.

Petrobras is a 100% stakeholder in the SOL-T-171 concession block, in which the find occurred. It said if it confirmed commercial viability of the discovery, it would create a new oil and gas production centre in the Solimoes Basin.

 

The company now produces 53.000 barrels of oil, 11 million cubic meters of natural gas and 1.300 tonnes of liquid petroleum gas a day in the state of Amazonas.

Lesser known than the massive sub-salt deposits off the south-eastern coast of Brazil, the onshore Solimoes Basin has turned up attractive new finds.

Discoveries in the basin have been behind the rise of local onshore exploration start-up HRT in Brazil, a rarity where Petrobras still dominates the oil industry.
 

HRT agreed in October to sell a 45% stake in 21 Amazon oil blocks to Anglo-Russian TNK-BP for 1 billion dollars.

In related news the National Petroleum Agency, ANP, announced that Brazil’s oil and natural gas production was a record high in 2011.

Oil production totalled 768 million barrels last year, up 2.5% from 2010, while natural gas production reached 24 billion barrels of oil equivalent (BOE), up 4.9% from 2010.

In December, oil production reached 2.214 million bpdand natural gas production reached 2.663 million BOE per day, both record-high figures.

From 2002 to 2011 Brazil's oil production increased 45%, while natural gas production rose 55%. A total of 91.2% of Brazil's natural gas and oil production came from fields operated by Petrobras.

The Campos Basin, off Brazil's south-eastern coast, was responsible for 83.4% of oil production and 38% of natural gas last year.
 

Categories: Energy & Oil, Brazil.

Top Comments

Disclaimer & comment rules
  • ChrisR

    I wonder how long it will be before they get an oil spillage?

    But there again, Petrobras are supposed to 'walk on water' specially if it has got an oil slick on it?

    Any other comment to make Forgetit?

    Feb 05th, 2012 - 01:26 pm 0
  • Fido Dido

    “I wonder how long it will be before they get an oil spillage?”

    Ahh look it that, Mr info cyber warrior about Brazil wonders and wishing so bad for another oil spill, it turns you on huh (Like urrgh, gosh, I wish it's going to happen, damn I hate their success). Funny to see a trend of brits paying so much attention and trolling against a nation sinds it surpassed Britain on paper of GDP growth. Right ChrisR? It hurts huh that the UK is not number 6..it's okay, you don't have to admit.

    and again about Petrobras, sinds you're to lazy to do your homework, it got fined many times for oil spills.

    Keep wondering boy, sadly you're paying less attention to your own nation that is fading away, deep and deeper in debt and takes more and more freedom away from it's people. I know that hurts, also happens to my country (Holland), but I understand it's also so much better to concentrate on other nations...so much better than concentrating on your own problems, because it hurts..reality is ugly like the british people.

    Feb 06th, 2012 - 03:37 am 0
  • ChrisR

    2 Fido Dido

    So what if Petrobras is fined? Do you not realise that they are owned 48% by Brasil?

    So just to make it clear for you, that 48% is never paid, it just goes around the accounts of the government. The other poor bastards who own between them THE REMAINING 52% are loosing money (reduction of profits).

    GOT IT NOW?

    Feb 06th, 2012 - 03:30 pm 0
Read all comments

Commenting for this story is now closed.
If you have a Facebook account, become a fan and comment on our Facebook Page!