The escalade between the Argentine government and the oil companies seems to have cooled off for a few hours on Tuesday following a meeting of Planning Minister Julio De Vido with top officials from Petrobras Argentina, and which was described as ‘productive’.
Minister Julio De Vido informed the heads of Petrobras branch in Argentina that it was essential to raise investments in the country and warned them that the main aim is that Argentina reaches the “self-sufficiency in energy.”
De Vido received the authorities of the Brazilian oil company and together with Neuquén province officials analyzed the different options to boost oil and gas production in the province.
During the meeting the minister explained Petrobras authorities the basis of the agreement reached in February between the Argentine provinces which are part of the State’s Federal Organization of Hydrocarbon Producers (OFEPHI) and the National Government.
This agreement promotes the complete production of the gas and oil fields and the recovery of self-sufficiency in energy, the minister highlighted before the Petrobras businessmen.
De Vido and Petrobras Argentina officials agreed to work on the development of the investment projects in Argentina to be considered in a meeting that De Vido will hold on April 20 in Brasilia with the head of the company, María Das Graças Forster.
Last week Neuquen Governor Jorge Sapag announced the termination of Petrobras ‘Veta Escondida’ exploitation concession, after “proving that the area remains with no proven production or reserves and with insufficient investment”.
Petrobras in a communiqué said it has complied with all contractual requirements signed three and a half years ago. “The exploration and exploitation contract, which was agreed upon by the Executive branch on December 10th 2008 and is valid until 2027 remains in force”.
“We hold 55% of the concession and we carried out investments according to the search for hydrocarbon, amounting to a total of 10 million dollars in the last three years. Additionally, the company has began efforts in the search of non conventional hydrocarbons in the area, aided by new technologies”, said Petrobras release.
Commenting for this story is now closed.
If you have a Facebook account, become a fan and comment on our Facebook Page!
A very astute move by Governor Jorge Sapag. He applied the rulings of the National Government to all the oil companies operating in Neuquén Province and not just to Repsol-YPF and thus forced the Kirchner administration to show its true colours. He hopes to force the Government to raise the price of crude to be able to improve the provincial income from royalties.Apr 11th, 2012 - 04:50 pm 0
It had the added value of showing that ALL the oil companies operating in Argentina are only just breaking even under the national government rules.
(1) Simon68Apr 11th, 2012 - 04:57 pm 0
ALL the oil companies operating in Argentina are only just breaking even under the national government rules.
I can barely contain my tears....
Poor, poor Multinational Oil Companies....
Baaad dog, Cristina............. Baaad, baaad dog...!
Think:Apr 11th, 2012 - 05:03 pm 0
If the companies don't make a profit they don't produce crude. That's exactly whats happening right now. We're going to have a cold, cold winter and spend U$S 12.000 m al devino botón because of this.