MercoPress, en Español

Montevideo, September 27th 2021 - 07:48 UTC

 

 

FARC leader doubts the peace accord can be signed this year

Wednesday, August 13th 2014 - 01:22 UTC
Full article 8 comments
“It should be noted also that the subject of the surrender of arms and a bilateral ceasefire will not be simple”, said Timochenko “It should be noted also that the subject of the surrender of arms and a bilateral ceasefire will not be simple”, said Timochenko
President Santos, 63, warned at his inauguration last week that Colombia's patience for the peace talks has limits. President Santos, 63, warned at his inauguration last week that Colombia's patience for the peace talks has limits.

Colombia is unlikely to sign a peace accord with Marxist rebels this year as the remaining items on the negotiating agenda are complex and time consuming, FARC guerrilla leader Rodrigo Londoño said.

 President Juan Manuel Santos had expressed hope that talks to end a half century of war with the Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia (FARC) could be concluded as soon as this year though he acknowledged they could run on longer.

In an interview published on the rebels' website, Londoño said there would not be time in the next four months to complete discussion on reparation to victims and how to bring a definitive end to the conflict.

“I'm afraid not. Of course we all want things to be concluded as soon as possible,” said Londoño, known by his nom de guerre of Timochenko.

“It is easy to see that the timeframe of this year won't allow for it. It should be noted also that the subject of the surrender of arms and a bilateral ceasefire will not be simple.”

Dozens of FARC and government negotiators have reached agreement in talks - taking place in Cuba - on land reform, how to end Colombia's illegal drugs trade and rebel participation in politics.

In an apparent response to Santos' recent warnings that talks could collapse if the FARC continue to attack civilian and economic targets, Londoño insinuated that the killing of any member of its seven-member secretariat would disrupt talks.

“We have no intention of assimilating the death of another member of the Secretariat, unless it be by natural causes,” he said.

Santos, sworn into office for a second term last week, has been responsible for killing several FARC leaders, including Londoño's predecessor, Alfonso Cano.

Even as the group has been weakened by a decade-long US-backed military offensive, a rash of attacks against oil and mining installations, as well as on the armed forces and civilians, prove it is still a force to be reckoned with.

Santos, 63, warned at his inauguration last week that Colombia's patience for the peace talks has limits.

“Our intention is not to leave the negotiating table until there is a final agreement. But we do not believe that allows our adversaries to pull the rope so tight,” Londoño said in an apparent response.

Categories: Politics, Latin America.

Top Comments

Disclaimer & comment rules
  • Anglotino

    That's alright. Santos has a long mandate in front of him.

    Potentially longer than Londoño's life.... who knows!

    Aug 13th, 2014 - 03:19 am 0
  • CabezaDura2

    There is no way they will reach a peace agreement. Santos already got reelected and violence is now re emerging the FARC has used precious time to regain strength and land.. This outcome was so predictable when the Colombians re elected Santos.

    Aug 13th, 2014 - 05:30 am 0
  • Anglotino

    CabezaDura you don't offer any other options, but only criticise what is happening.

    What other options could Santos possibly do? He has already killed SEVEN FARC leaders during his presidency.

    Colombia is booming. It has the second highest growth in South America. Low inflation. It's homicide rate is now lower than Venezuela's. It has booming investment in infrastructure and employment is moving from the informal to formal economy. If you had been there like I have, you would notice that there is massive investment in infrastructure - the Transmilenio is being continually extended and El Dorado airport has pretty much been rebuilt from scratch.

    Of course FARC are trying to stall and wait this out but everything they do doesn't stop the progress.

    FARC are the past. They have not been defeated by FIFTY years of armed conflict. These peace talks STARTED in August 2012. That is only 2 years ago. For some unknown reason you expect 50 years of conflict to be suddenly solved in 2 years of talks?

    The fact that these talks are so thorough and that the government refuses to bow down to expedite them is a good sign. You take every setback as a failure while I see it as nothing more than the setback it is.

    Aug 13th, 2014 - 07:14 am 0
Read all comments

Commenting for this story is now closed.
If you have a Facebook account, become a fan and comment on our Facebook Page!