MercoPress, en Español

Montevideo, July 13th 2024 - 06:07 UTC

 

 

Santos and FARC sign new peace agreement; new version submitted for a vote in Congress

Thursday, November 24th 2016 - 15:13 UTC
Full article 1 comment
“The government and FARC delegations have agreed to sign the final agreement to end the conflict and build a stable and lasting peace,” said the statement “The government and FARC delegations have agreed to sign the final agreement to end the conflict and build a stable and lasting peace,” said the statement

Colombia's government and FARC guerrillas will sign a new peace accord on Thursday, after a previous agreement to end their half-century-old war was defeated in a referendum, both parties said. The new, revised accord will be submitted to Congress for approval, rather than put to another referendum, they added.

 Last month voters taking part in that referendum surprisingly snubbed the first accord. Critics said it went too easy on the rebels, who have been waging what is now Latin America's last major insurgency.

“The government and FARC delegations have agreed to sign the final agreement to end the conflict and build a stable and lasting peace,” negotiators from both sides said in a statement on Tuesday.

The new accord was first announced on November 12. The signing will take place at 11:00 am (1600 GMT) at the Colon Theater in Bogota. The accord will later be submitted to Congress for its approval, the two sides said.

“We are working out the procedures necessary for this,” they said. The government holds a majority in the legislature.

President Juan Manuel Santos insists the new proposal is stronger and takes into account changes demanded by his political opponents.

However his chief rival, ex-president Alvaro Uribe, has rejected even the revised deal. Uribe has insisted, for instance, that FARC leaders should not be allowed to run for office while still serving sentences for atrocities.

”Whether the entire (current) text is voted on, or just the issues that have been sensitive and where there has been no agreement, we ought to do it by national referendum,“ Uribe said.

A two-way ceasefire between the government and the FARC has been in force since August. But the sides have warned it is fragile.

”This limbo is increasing the risks,“ Santos told reporters. ”It is urgent that we move to the second phase of regrouping the FARC“ for their demobilization, he said.

He spoke after an urgent meeting with top officials to tackle a recent wave of alleged political killings in southern Colombia. Fears for the ceasefire had already risen last week when two FARC guerrillas were killed in what authorities said was a clash with the army.

Commander Rodrigo ”Timochenko” Londoño and other FARC leaders arrived in Bogota on Monday to finalize the deal. Ahead of the referendum, the FARC's 5,700 fighters gathered to wait in their jungle bases.

The full peace accord aims to see them demobilize and disarm over the coming months under UN supervision. But officials warned that the longer the accord is delayed, the higher the risk of violence.

The conflict that took off in 1964 has killed at least 260,000 people and displaced seven million, according to authorities.

Categories: Politics, Latin America.

Top Comments

Disclaimer & comment rules
  • DemonTree

    I see he's learned from his previous mistake - no more referendums for Colombia!

    Nov 26th, 2016 - 10:22 am 0
Read all comments

Commenting for this story is now closed.
If you have a Facebook account, become a fan and comment on our Facebook Page!