MercoPress, en Español

Montevideo, January 23rd 2022 - 21:47 UTC

 

 

Bolsonaro threatens to cancel broadcaster license on a TV report linking his family to the killing of a Rio councilwoman

Thursday, October 31st 2019 - 09:58 UTC
Full article 3 comments
TV Globo reported on Tuesday that just hours before the March 2018 murder, the suspect was said to have told a doorman he was going to Bolsonaro’s house TV Globo reported on Tuesday that just hours before the March 2018 murder, the suspect was said to have told a doorman he was going to Bolsonaro’s house
“This is rotten, villainous journalism by TV Globo,” an enraged Bolsonaro said in a live video on social media, recorded in Riyadh hotel during an official visit to Saudi Arabia. “This is rotten, villainous journalism by TV Globo,” an enraged Bolsonaro said in a live video on social media, recorded in Riyadh hotel during an official visit to Saudi Arabia.
The president accused the media and a former ally, Rio Governor Wilson Witzel, of conspiring to attack him and his family. The president accused the media and a former ally, Rio Governor Wilson Witzel, of conspiring to attack him and his family.

Brazilian President Jair Bolsonaro on Wednesday deplored a TV network’s report linking him with a former police officer accused of killing a Rio de Janeiro city councilwoman and threatened to cancel the broadcaster’s license.

TV Globo, Brazil’s largest TV network, reported on Tuesday that just hours before the March 2018 murder, the suspect was said to have told a doorman he was going to Bolsonaro’s house, gaining access to a gated community where he met instead with another former policeman accused of murdering the left-wing politician Marielle Franco.

The case led to widespread protests by Brazilians outraged to see a black, openly gay human rights advocate gunned down. Investigators arrested two former police officers, Ronnie Lessa and Elcio de Queiroz, nearly a year later and charged them with killing Franco in return for about US$ 50,000. Their lawyers said they did not commit the crime.

Rio state prosecutors said later on Wednesday that the doorman had been mistaken. At a news conference, prosecutors said it was Lessa, who lived two doors down from Bolsonaro, who had answered the intercom and allowed Queiroz to enter.

Bolsonaro, who took office on Jan. 1, 2019, denied any connection to the case. He said he was in Brasilia the day of the murder voting in Congress, where he was then serving as a representative. TV Globo’s report also said Bolsonaro was in Brasilia the day of Franco’s murder.

The president accused the media and a former ally, Rio Governor Wilson Witzel, of conspiring to attack him and his family.

“This is rotten, villainous journalism by TV Globo,” an enraged Bolsonaro said in a live video on social media, recorded at 4 a.m. in a Riyadh hotel during an official visit to Saudi Arabia.

Bolsonaro went on to discuss the timeline for renewing the license of the network, which is part of Grupo Globo, the largest media group in Brazil and includes TV, publishing, internet content and music labels.

“We’ll talk in 2022,” Bolsonaro said. “You’d better hope I’m dead by then, because the renewal process won’t be persecution, but ... there won’t be any workarounds for you or anyone else.”

In a statement, Globo expressed regret about Bolsonaro’s comments and said its aim was to inform the Brazilian public. Referring to its license renewal, it said that it had complied with its obligations during the past 54 years.

TV Globo said the doorman to Bolsonaro’s gated community in Rio told police that someone in the Bolsonaro residence identified as “Mr. Jair” confirmed the visitor on the day of Franco’s murder and then waved off the doorman’s concern that the car had gone to a different house.

“It looks like either the doorman lied or someone induced him to commit a false testimony,” Bolsonaro said.

He accused Witzel of leaking details from a confidential investigation to the press to “destroy the Bolsonaro family” before the 2022 presidential elections.

Witzel denied any political interference with the investigation. “I deeply regret the untimely reaction of President Jair Bolsonaro,” the governor said in a statement.

Bolsonaro’s justice minister, Sergio Moro, asked Brazil’s top public prosecutor Augusto Aras to investigate the doorman’s allegation, saying he might have given false testimony, either in error or as part of a wider conspiracy to implicate the president, according to the request made public by the ministry.

 

Categories: Politics, Brazil.

Top Comments

Disclaimer & comment rules
  • Enrique Massot

    Strange reaction for a man who, because of the power he holds, should be more respectful.

    If Jair Bolsonaro wasn't involved in Marielle Franco's murder, he just needs to stick to the facts. Shooting the messenger, in this case by threatening Globo TV, won't help clear the air.

    Nov 01st, 2019 - 01:55 am 0
  • :o))

    @Enrique Massot

    REF: “by threatening Globo TV, won't help clear the air”

    Maybe he wants to stick to his false macho-image. But in doing so, he drew more attention to his probable inviolvement. The media must be celebrating such an excellent opportunity!

    Nov 01st, 2019 - 08:26 pm 0
  • imoyaro

    Bolsonaro has no problem having people being killed. He needs to take a page out of La Asesina's play book, and just collect convicted violent criminals like in Vatayon Militante/Pingunos to do the job. I mean, what could possibly go wrong...?

    Nov 05th, 2019 - 06:51 am 0
Read all comments

Commenting for this story is now closed.
If you have a Facebook account, become a fan and comment on our Facebook Page!