As of this Monday 30 March, the Falklands' Education Department is providing childcare for the children of essential key workers to enable them to go to work. Parents in this category have been contacted directly. Home learning packs are being delivered to those who were unable to collect them.
If you think you have been missed, please call 27294. If you have not been contacted, please do not try to bring your child to school.
All schools and nurseries remain closed until at least the start of the new term on 4 May 2020. All children’s play parks are closed until further notice.
The Education Department has shared the self-isolation requirements with students, and parents of students, who arrived back on the last airbridge. Colleges or Universities will be in contact with students about how they continue with their studies. The Education Department is available to all students and families should they need support or guidance, please phone 27289 for more information.
Essential activities, at this stage, include critical and key work, where this cannot be done from home. Essential work categories are:
Health and social care - including:
• Doctors, nurses, midwives, paramedics, social workers, care workers and any other frontline health and social care staff who need to remain at work
• Support and specialist staff required to maintain the sector
Key public services - including:
• Those essential to the running of the justice system
• Those responsible for the management of the deceased
• Media and broadcasters who are providing public service broadcasting and the Government Communications team
Government - administrative occupations essential to delivering:
• The response to coronavirus
• Key regulatory services
• Essential public services, including the payment of benefits, and key treasury functions
Food and other necessary goods - including:
Those involved in food production, processing, distribution, sale and delivery
Public safety and national security - including:
• Police and required support staff
• Fire and rescue service employees
• Those maintaining border security
• Prison and probation staff
Transport - including:
• Those who'll keep FIGAS and ferry passenger and freight and passenger transport supporting the response
• Shipping links including SAAS
• Port operators
Utilities, communication and financial services - including:
Staff needed for:
• Essential financial services provision
• Electricity and water sectors, including sewerage
• Fuel supply
• Information technology and data infrastructure sector
Key staff working in the following sectors:
• Emergency repair workers
• Accommodation providers
• Postal services
• Agricultural workers
If you are unclear about where your function or activities sit please contact the Secretariat on 28450.