Venezuela has agreed with the US Trump administration to resume repatriation flights for deported Venezuelan nationals, officials announced confirming first flights on Sunday. Jorge Rodriguez, Venezuela's National Assembly President said the goal was to “ensure the return of our countrymen with the protection of their human rights.”
Venezuela's Bolivarian Government issued earlier this week a travel advisory warning its citizens against visiting the United States following Washington's deportation of many Tren de Aragua gang members to El Salvador's maximum security Cecot prison.
Salvadoran authorities Sunday received 238 members of the Venezuelan Tren de Aragua and 23 members of the Mara Salvatrucha (MS-13) gangs, expelled from the United States under the 1798 Alien Enemies Act, a law unused since World War II. President Nayib Bukele acknowledged their arrival and immediate transfer to the maximum-security Terrorism Confinement Center (Cecot), built in 2023 to house high-profile criminals.
Argentina's Security Minister Patricia Bullrich Sunday visited El Salvador's controversial Confinement Center for Terrorism (CECOT), probably seeking to replicate the model in her country, it was reported. Salvadoran President Nayib Bukele had told her he was open to giving Argentina any assistance it might need regarding security issues.