MercoPress, en Español

Montevideo, May 24th 2019 - 23:56 UTC

Argentina distributes 2007 toothfish quotas totaling 2.500 tons

Sunday, April 22nd 2007 - 21:00 UTC
Full article

Argentina's Under Secretary of Fisheries and Aquaculture announced toothfish quotas for the 2007 season of 1.750 tons, according to Resolution 132/2007, according to La Prensa de Santa Cruz.

Company Estremar, with vessels Antarctic II and Antarctic II was awarded 201.3 and 773.7 tons respectively; Pesantar and its longliner Echizen Maru, 208.1 tons; Explotación Pesquera de Patagonia (Pespasa) and its vessel Viento del Sur, 213 tons and Argenova, with Argenova XI, Argenova XIV and Argenova XV, 105, 79.8 and 135.7 tons respectively. For 2007 the Argentine Federal Fisheries Council established a TAC for toothfish, Dissostichus eleginoides, of 2.500 tons of which 30%, or 750 tons for incidental catch. The remaining 70% was distributed among longliners with a history of above 1% of total catches of the species, and over 3% in 2003 and 2004. Distribution was done taking into account the proportional participation of the vessels over the total average catches between 1989 and 1996. Furthermore no single company or group of companies can exceed 35% of TAC and if so, the surplus will be reduced proportionally from each vessel or company with the volume going to the Fisheries administration reserve.

Categories: Fisheries, Argentina.

Top Comments

Disclaimer & comment rules

Commenting for this story is now closed.
If you have a Facebook account, become a fan and comment on our Facebook Page!