The former Cuban president Fidel Castro says he was consulted on the sweeping leadership changes undertaken by his brother Raul government and he says two of the ousted officials had been seduced by the honey of power.
Castro's newly published article gives the first hint of why some of the officials were removed in the abrupt shake-up — the largest in decades.
Foreign Minister Felipe Perez Roque was dismissed and Vice President Carlos Lage was stripped of his post as Cabinet secretary. Twenty other officials shifted, removed or promoted.
Fidel wrote Tuesday that he had been consulted about the changes and denied speculation that Raul was trying to ensure the posts for members loyal to him.
The blog post bearing Fidel Castro’s byline was published on Tuesday on the government Web site CudaDebate.cu, under the headline “Reflexiones del compañero Fidel: Cambios sanos en el Consejo de Ministros”. (”Reflections of Comrade Fidel: Healthy changes in the council of ministers”).
The post heaps scorn on those who suggested that Mr. Castro had been kept in the dark about the cabinet changes. It also says that two senior figures who lost out in the reshuffle — apparently referring to the former foreign minister, Felipe Pérez Roque, and one of the country’s vice presidents, Carlos Lage Dávila — had both been seduced by “La miel del poder por el cual no conocieron sacrificio alguno” (”The honey of power, for which they had not sacrificed at all”).
“The external enemy was full of illusions with them” said Fidel and immediately added that none of the names mentioned (Felipe Perez Roque or Carlos Lage) “have said a word or expressed disappointment”.
“There was not a questioning at all about their personal values. There are other reasons”, adds Fidel Castro.