MercoPress, en Español

Montevideo, May 6th 2021 - 22:29 UTC

 

 

Cruise visitors spend £3million per year in Falklands

Monday, March 16th 2009 - 19:54 UTC
Full article
General Manager of the FITB, Jake Downing General Manager of the FITB, Jake Downing

VISITORS arriving in the Falklands in Cruise and Expedition vessels spend over £3 million per annum on tours, shopping, and food and beverages, according to a survey conducted over the summer season.

General Manager of the Falkland Islands Tourist Board, Jake Downing, said, “The average spend per passenger arrival in the Falkland Islands is £48.72. Spending on tours accounts for £25.84 of this, with shopping accounting for £16.67, and food and beverage spend accounting for £5.71.”

Visitors from the US are the biggest spenders; they spend an average of £65.14 per trip, whilst those from the UK spend £41.29; visitors from all other countries (combined) spend £43.98.

Visitors travelling on Cruise vessels spend considerably more (£70.37) than those on Expedition vessels (£25.71), largely due to Cruise vessel passengers spending more on tours.

Satisfaction with visits to the Islands is very high, with 98% stating that their trip was Excellent or Good.

Two thirds (67%) of all visitors were interested in returning to the Falklands to some degree, with half (50%) of all visitors stating that they would be interested in returning for a land-based holiday. Of these, 17% stated that they would definitely like to return. This converts to over 10,000 potential overnight tourists.

Just over one half (51%) of all visitors thought that their visit to the Islands was too short.

Approximately one half of all visitors are in the 45-64 year old age group. 79% are 45+ years old.

Just over one half (51%) of all visitors disembark only in Stanley. Of the remaining 49% who also visit another Island, West Point Island and Saunders Island were the most visited.

42% of all visitors take an organised tour on the Islands. Of these, the most popular are to Gypsy Cove and Bluff Cove. 58% of visitors do not take any type of tour at all.

Of those who do take a tour, 23% book it on their vessel, whilst the remaining 77% book it when on land. The average spend per tour is £61.27, with visitors from the US spending more per tour (£77.49) than those from the UK (£51.44).

Visitors travelling in Expedition vessels (carrying 100 passengers or less) spend very little on tours (average of £6.18 per passenger) compared to those on Cruise vessels (£69.62 per passenger).

Over 87% of visitors have not visited the Falkland Islands before, however 4% have visited at least four times previously.

- These findings are based on cruise passenger interviews at the Jetty Centre in Stanley over the period 31/10/08 to 12/02/09. A total of 377 interviews were completed over this period.

By Lisa Johnson - SeAledPR - Stanley

Categories: Tourism, Falkland Islands.

Top Comments

Disclaimer & comment rules

Commenting for this story is now closed.
If you have a Facebook account, become a fan and comment on our Facebook Page!