MercoPress, en Español

Montevideo, January 27th 2023 - 00:50 UTC

 

 

Massive and emotive ceremony to remember victims of Buenos Aires worst train accident

Saturday, February 23rd 2013 - 06:45 UTC
Full article 73 comments
The relatives criticized Cristina Fernández for her “unexplainable silence” after the tragedy. The relatives criticized Cristina Fernández for her “unexplainable silence” after the tragedy.
“There is a chain of corruption in the trains’ concession that can be identified by name and last name” said the message read aloud “There is a chain of corruption in the trains’ concession that can be identified by name and last name” said the message read aloud

On the first anniversary of Buenos Aires city worst train accident that left 51 people dead at the downtown Once station, families and friends of the victims held a ceremony to remember those who lost their lives and called for justice as they targeted Government officials from the administration of President Cristina Fernandez.

The families conducted the ceremony on Platform 2 of the train station, while holding a flag calling for justice, along with 51 red roses and 51 candles. They applauded at 8:32 AM (the exact time at which the accident took place) and called for justice as they remembers the 51 victims and over 700 people injured.

Actor Manuel Callau read a document in which he targeted former Transportation Secretary Juan Pablo Schiavi, who they accused of “blaming the victims” after he said that the tragedy had taken place because people “were all gathering on the first car.”

Security Minister Nilda Garré was also targeted over her statements regarding passenger Lucas Menghini, whose body was found after several days inside the wreckage. Garré had said Menghini was travelling “in an inappropriate spot.”

The crowd also criticized President Cristina Fernández for her “unexplainable silence” after the tragedy.

“There is a chain of corruption in the concession that can be identified by name and last name,” their message said.

Later, a mass was held at the Metropolitan Cathedral in downtown Buenos Aires, where Monsignor Eduardo García claimed that the “absurd death” should never be present again.

“Not only you are praying; you are not alone. All the Church joins you today in your grief,” he continued.

By 5 pm, people began gathering at the Plaza de Mayo square, where families read a document to the crowd and projected a video as part of their call for justice. Afterwards, several Argentine artists held a festival to honour the victims of the train crash.

The Once tragedy took place on February 22nd, 2012, when a train from the Sarmiento line coming from the local station of Moreno failed to brake properly as it entered the station, colliding with the end of the platform.

The crash left 51 dead and 700 people injured.
 

Categories: Politics, Argentina.

Top Comments

Disclaimer & comment rules
  • toxictaxitrader2

    The cost of bad government and and corruption is to high.

    Feb 23rd, 2013 - 09:04 am 0
  • Frank

    How many times in the last year has TMBoA been mouthing off about the Falklands?

    How many times has she spoken to the people about the Once train wreck??

    What do the people of BsAs care most about ???

    What a fucked up regime.

    Feb 23rd, 2013 - 10:10 am 0
  • ElaineB

    She is keeping quiet because she knows her government is culpable. Her government was responsible for poor maintenance and no investment in the railways. One of the main witnesses to the crash has been dispatched and I suspect others will be intimidated or bribed into silence. No wonder at all that she is keeping her mouth shut.

    Feb 23rd, 2013 - 10:23 am 0
Read all comments

Commenting for this story is now closed.
If you have a Facebook account, become a fan and comment on our Facebook Page!