MercoPress, en Español

Montevideo, November 29th 2020 - 13:54 UTC

 

 

Capriles, opposition candidate for coming elections; Maduro admits having him monitored

Thursday, March 7th 2013 - 07:12 UTC
Full article 16 comments
The opposition candidate was beaten last October by eleven points  The opposition candidate was beaten last October by eleven points

Venezuela's opposition parties have unanimously agreed that governor of Miranda state, Henrique Capriles will run in an upcoming presidential election following the death of Hugo Chavez, party sources said on Wednesday.

Capriles, 40, lost to Chavez in an election last October, and will face off against Chavez's preferred successor, Nicolas Maduro.

“The candidate is Capriles. The Unity Table (which unifies the opposition) will wait until after the funeral of Chavez and the calling of elections to make the official announcement. He has already accepted”, said sources from the national assembly.

Venezuela’s National Electoral Council has not yet announced new elections but the interim government already anticipated that Vice-president and acting president Nicolas Maduro will be the incumbent candidate, as the deceased leader has established.

Capriles challenged Chavez in last October presidential election but despite losing by eleven percentage points, managed the support from 6.5 million votes, the highest ever for the opposition.

Recent opinion polls before the death of Chavez showed that in the event of a presidential dispute between Maduro and Capriles, the anointed successor of the Bolivarian revolution would win by 14 points difference.

Under the current Venezuelan constitution states that in the 30 days following an ‘absolute absence’ of the elected president, new elections will be held to choose his successor.

Earlier in the week and before the announcement of Chavez death the Venezuelan government admitted it was tracking Capriles who was in a family visit to New York.

“We have him closely monitored” Maduro said on Saturday of Capriles.

“I have all the data, exactly where he is in Manhattan, in New York, at this moment” Maduro said on government-run television, looking at his cell-one as if checking information sent to him in a text message or an e-mail.

He said Capriles owned an apartment on East 85th Street and was staying there. “Let him deny it” Maduro said. “What did he buy an apartment in New York with?”

In a telephone call Sunday night from New York, Mr. Capriles said he did not own an apartment there.

“Every time I leave Venezuela, the government tries to turn it into a conspiracy,” he said, adding that he was in New York to visit his sister and her family, who live in the East Side high-rise. “It seems ridiculous to me, with all the problems that there are in Venezuela, that this is what the government is talking about”.
 

Top Comments

Disclaimer & comment rules
  • willi1

    Capriles must try to convince “the poor” that it is not enough to just eat the bread but also to cultivate and harvest it. and he must give them the feeling to stay as partners also for his time of ruling after the election.
    Chavez just feeded the people but didn´t give them a sense of how to work for the food. he preferred to import food instead of increase the agriculture sector and rob the oil reserves just for comsumption. that is the same mistake as the kirchner housewife practises in argentina.

    Mar 07th, 2013 - 09:15 am 0
  • Anglotino

    Maduro minutely tracks Capriles when he is overseas and yet the President disappears for months on end and no one bats an eyelid.

    Mar 07th, 2013 - 09:53 am 0
  • ChrisR

    After the admission by the bus driver I will be surprised if Capriles actually makes it to the election.

    Mar 07th, 2013 - 10:37 am 0
Read all comments

Commenting for this story is now closed.
If you have a Facebook account, become a fan and comment on our Facebook Page!