MercoPress, en Español

Montevideo, August 6th 2020 - 02:17 UTC

 

 

Attack on Boston marathon leaves three dead, 17 critically injured and fears it was a 'terrorist bombing'

Tuesday, April 16th 2013 - 06:21 UTC
Full article 133 comments
The competition this year attracted 23.000 runners and half a million audience The competition this year attracted 23.000 runners and half a million audience
Chaotic scenes following the blast of the bombs among defenceless crowds  Chaotic scenes following the blast of the bombs among defenceless crowds

An investigation is under way after two explosions near the finishing line of the Boston Marathon left three people dead and more than 100 injured. The FBI has taken over co-ordination of what it described as a “potential terrorist inquiry”.

Boston police say officers are working around the clock and all leave has been cancelled. At least 17 people are critically wounded, officials say, and the injuries include several amputations.

In a televised address, President Barack Obama vowed to bring those behind the attack to justice.

“We will find out who did this. We'll find out why they did this,” he said. “Any responsible individuals, any responsible groups, will feel the full weight of justice.”

Although he did not use the word “terrorism”, a White House official later said: “Any event with multiple explosive devices - as this appears to be - is clearly an act of terror, and will be approached as an act of terror.”

The first explosion came at about 14:50 local time (18:50 GMT) on the north side of Boylston Street, about two hours after the winners crossed the line.

There was initial confusion and panic. Some runners fell to the floor while police and bystanders ran to help those caught in the blast. Then seconds later, a second explosion ripped into the crowd further away from the finishing line.

TV footage showed bloodied runners and spectators being treated at the scene and the road strewn with debris. Rescuers tore down temporary fencing to reach the casualties.

At an initial news conference, Boston Police Commissioner Edward Davis said authorities had received “no specific intelligence that anything was going to happen”.

He urged people to stay indoors and not congregate in large groups. At a second conference he said the death toll now stood at three. He said that no suspects were in custody. A local TV station reported that a search related to the inquiry was under way at a flat in a Boston suburb.

Massachusetts Governor Deval Patrick, speaking at the same news conference, confirmed reports that more than 100 people had been injured, some gravely.

He said Boston would be “open” on Tuesday but that there would be “a heightened law enforcement presence”.

“There will be random checks of backpacks and other parcels. We are also asking that everyone be on a state of heightened vigilance,” he said.

FBI Special Agent Richard DesLauriers also appeared, saying that the inquiry involved city, state and federal officials, but refusing to give any details of the investigation.

Details of the victims have also not been revealed, however the Associated Press news agency reported that an eight-year-old boy was among the dead. Quoting a family friend, the report said the boy's mother and sister were also injured as they waited for his father to finish the race.

Officers have already begun poring over video and photographs from the marathon.

Key sites in Washington DC and New York have also seen security tightened.

Officials in Washington said no group or individual had so far said they carried out the attack.

President Obama: “We will find out who did this and hold them accountable”

Shortly after the blasts, a fire broke out at Boston's John F Kennedy Library a few miles away from the explosions.

Police said the blaze might have been caused by an incendiary device but it is unclear whether it is related to the explosions.

The annual Boston Marathon this year had a field of about 23,000 runners and was watched by hundreds of thousands of spectators.

It is held on Patriots Day, a Massachusetts state holiday which commemorates the first battles of the American Revolution in 1775.
 

Top Comments

Disclaimer & comment rules
  • reality check

    Sincere sympathies and condolences to all the victims, their families and the the people of Boston.

    Apr 16th, 2013 - 07:48 am 0
  • Redrow

    A terrible day for a wonderful city. Very sad indeed.

    Apr 16th, 2013 - 07:56 am 0
  • Britworker

    Very sad yes, but I wonder if the people of Boston have given a thought to the collection boxes they used to have on their bar counters, collecting donations for the provisional IRA. That money was used to finance the bombs in Manchester, Omagh, Enniskillen, Warrington and London.
    I wonder if they now understand the horror if terrorism!

    Apr 16th, 2013 - 08:01 am 0
Read all comments

Commenting for this story is now closed.
If you have a Facebook account, become a fan and comment on our Facebook Page!