MercoPress, en Español

Montevideo, June 19th 2019 - 05:08 UTC

 

 

French/Canadian consortium takes Petrobras major gas pipeline in north Brazil

Saturday, April 6th 2019 - 09:02 UTC
Full article
Petrobras said Engie consortium, which includes a Canadian pension fund presented an US$8.6 billion bid for 90% of the TAG gas pipeline Petrobras said Engie consortium, which includes a Canadian pension fund presented an US$8.6 billion bid for 90% of the TAG gas pipeline

A consortium led by France's Engie SA submitted the highest offer for a major gas pipeline unit owned by Petrobras, the state-run oil firm said on Friday, as the company's biggest divestment draws to a close.

In a filing, Petrobras said the Engie consortium, which includes Canada's Caisse de Dépôt e Placement du Québec, presented an US$8.6 billion bid for 90% of the TAG gas pipeline unit in northern and northeastern Brazil.

That topped offers by two competing consortia, led by Itausa Investimentos Itau SA and EIG Global Energy Partners with Mubadala Investment Co, respectively. Apparently the difference between the bids was very small.

The second highest bid, delivered by EIG Global Energy Partners and Mubadala Investment Company, was less than 1 percent below Engie's bid, they said.

Engie subsidiaries in different countries account for 75% of the winning consortium and the Canadian pension fund the other 25%. Around 60% of the bid was financed by Itau Unibanco Holding SA , Banco Bradesco SA and Banco do Brasil SA

The EIG-Mubadala group was financed by JPMorgan Chase & Co and Goldman Sachs. The third group, led by Brazilian holding Itausa Investimentos Itau SA, was also financed also by local banks. Banco Santander Brasil SA was Petrobras adviser on the deal.

The price tag includes the payment by the Engie group of US$800 million in debts to Brazilian state development bank BNDES. At an exchange rate of 3.85 reais to US$1, Petrobras said, the deal values all of TAG at 35.1 billion reais.

The divestment represents a victory for current Petrobras leadership and Chief Executive Roberto Castello Branco, who is pushing to aggressively unload assets in a bid to cut debt and refocus on exploration and production.

In September 2016, Petrobras sold a larger gas network pipeline, Nova Transportadora do Sudeste, for US$5.2 billion to Brookfield Infrastructure Partners LP, which beat out a bid by Engie.

Petrobras will continue to distribute natural gas through the TAG system under the terms of long-term contracts, the company said in the statement.

Top Comments

Disclaimer & comment rules

Commenting for this story is now closed.
If you have a Facebook account, become a fan and comment on our Facebook Page!