Ecuador on Monday exceeded 30,000 confirmed cases of the coronavirus, while the government launched a plan to start gradually relaxing quarantine measures that have been in place since mid-March. Ecuador has confirmed 31,881 cases of COVID-19, with 1,569 reported deaths and a further 1,336 deaths likely as a result of the virus.
Authorities have carried out 80,171 tests, which includes both rapid tests and molecular biological (polymerase chain reaction or PCR) testing.
The government has warned the actual death toll is much higher than reports indicate, particularly in the largest city of Guayaquil, where corpses were left in homes or on streets for hours.
President Lenin Moreno said last week that the number of new coronavirus cases had stabilized and death counts were falling after the outbreak overwhelmed sanitary authorities in Guayaquil and ravaged the economy.
Following a month of strict quarantine to curb the pandemic, the government said it would now allow some businesses to operate through phone and internet services for home deliveries, while also extending the hours of operation for taxis.
The International Monetary Fund on Saturday confirmed it had approved US$643 million in emergency assistance for Ecuador, citing the devastating effects the virus had on economy by plummeting oil prices and global demand.
The country will maintain a 15-hour curfew, keep its borders closed and prohibit public transport.
Commenting for this story is now closed.
If you have a Facebook account, become a fan and comment on our Facebook Page!
Pobre Ecuador!May 05th, 2020 - 02:06 pm +1
The current ecuatorian government might be a disaster but Rafael Correa was president of Ecuador from 2007 to 2017....so he alos must have some responsibility in the health service of this country.May 06th, 2020 - 02:46 pm 0
A horrible government -- could not deliver but horrible results.May 05th, 2020 - 07:53 pm -1