Venezuela's Defense Minister Vladimir Padrino Monday reported eight soldiers had died fighting a group of “terrorists” on the Colombian border. But after three weeks of clashes and 17 deaths, “the region is returning to normal.”
REUTERS – Intra fighting continues among armed groups in Colombia and more than 11,000 people have been displaced from their homes so far in 2021 the country's human rights watchdog said on Monday.
United Nations' human rights body called on the Colombian government to improve protection of human rights activists and civilians, be more present in remote, poor areas, and fully implement a peace deal with FARC rebels to curb violence.
During the 50-year war with the state, the demobilized Colombian FARC guerrillas committed war crimes and crimes against humanity, former commanders from the group accepted on Thursday in a transitional justice court.
Colombia's President Ivan Duque held talks with former FARC guerrilla leaders on Friday, pledging to speed up the integration of ex-combatants following the 2016 peace agreement, a top advisor said. Duque's commitment came during an unprecedented meeting between the hard line president and leaders of the former leftist guerrilla movement in Bogota.
Hundreds of demobilized former members of the FARC rebel group marched in Colombia's capital Bogota on Sunday to demand more security, implementation of a 2016 peace deal, and an end to the killings of former combatants.
A Colombian judge on Saturday ordered an end to house arrest for former president Alvaro Uribe, who is under investigation for alleged witness tampering and fraud.
Eleven Colombian military personnel were missing and six injured after a helicopter crashed in the southeast of the country during an operation against guerillas, the army said on Tuesday. The Blackhawk helicopter was carrying 17 military personnel when it went down.
Colombia's army said on Friday it had freed a Swiss and a Brazilian kidnapped three months ago by suspected guerrillas.
The US Justice Department announced the indictment of Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro on Thursday for “narco-terrorism” and offered US$15 million for information leading to his capture.