A new stamp issue celebrating the Centenary of Letters Patent, formally defining South Georgia as part of the Falkland Islands Dependencies has been released.
According to the South Georgia official website, the issue has four stamps and a First Day Cover and marks the Letters Patent of July 21st 1908 when SG was incorporated to the Falklands' Dependencies. The 27p stamp depicts "H.M.S. Sappho" which asserted British authority during a visit to Grytviken in 1906 to monitor the activities of the newly establish whaling station there. The 65p stamp shows the Magistrate's Residence on KEP in 1912. The 90p stamp is a portrait of James Innes Wilson, who was the first Stipendiary Magistrate from 1909 to 1914; and the £1.10 stamp is of the ship "S.S. Coronda" which brought the first Magistrate to the Island. The First Day Cover sports the current South Georgia crest and a postmark based on the old crest of the Falkland Island Dependencies. Andrew Robinson designed the issue. To purchase, visit the website:http://www.falklands.gov.fk/pb