MercoPress, en Español

Montevideo, August 14th 2022 - 22:37 UTC

 

 

Bolsonaro adds Nicaraguans to the list of unwanted guests for his inauguration

Monday, December 24th 2018 - 13:18 UTC
Full article 1 comment
“The inauguration of President Bolsonaro will mark the beginning of a government with a firm and clear stance in defense of freedom,” Araújo said on Twitter. “The inauguration of President Bolsonaro will mark the beginning of a government with a firm and clear stance in defense of freedom,” Araújo said on Twitter.

Brazil's Presdient-elect Jair Bolsonaro will not welcome any Nicaraguan delegation at the inauguration ceremony in Brasilia on January 1, his future Foreign Minister Ernesto Araújo announced on Twitter.

 Thus, Nicaragua's government joins those blacklisted for the meaningful day at Brazil's capital. The other two most notorious countries on the infamous list are Cuba and Venezuela.

Bolsonaro is basing his decision on Nicaragua's regime alleged permanent violations of human rights.

”The inauguration of President Bolsonaro will mark the beginning of a government with a firm and clear stance in defense of freedom. Due to this and to the violations of the regime of (Daniel) Ortega against the freedom of the people of Nicaragua, no representative of that regime will be received in the event of January 1,“ wrote Araújo.

Araujo also pointed out that Bolsonaro's administration will do everything possible ”within the law” to counteract the governments of Miguel Díaz-Canel and Nicolás Maduro.

Nicaragua is experiencing a social and political crisis that has generated protests against the government of Daniel Ortega and a balance of between 325 and 545 deaths, according to local and foreign human rights organizations, while local authorities having already admitted to 199 deaths.

Demonstrations against Ortega began on April 18 over social security reforms and became a called for the president's resignation after 11 years in power.

Opposition media outlets have been reported to have been shut down by the Sandinist government after raids by paramilitary groups composed of hooded agents. The owners have been arrested, it has been reported.

Those luckier were only taken away from audience access as the Nicaraguan Institute of Telecommunications and Postal Services (Telcor) ordered subscription television operators to remove their menu.

Parallell to Bolsonaro's decision, US President Donald Trump last week signed the “Nica Act” into law, a measure to impose economic sanctions on Ortega's administration..

According to the new measure, loans to Nicaragua will only be approved when they are considered to be destined to “projects that promote democracy in the country.”

In response to that, Ortega said that those sanctions do nothing more than reaffirm US interventionist maneuvers. that undermine the sovereignty of the peoples of Latin America and the Caribbean.

Categories: Brazil, Latin America.

Top Comments

Disclaimer & comment rules
Read all comments

Commenting for this story is now closed.
If you have a Facebook account, become a fan and comment on our Facebook Page!