MercoPress, en Español

Montevideo, August 11th 2020 - 23:20 UTC

 

 

Italy bans travelers arriving from Brazil, Chile and Peru

Saturday, July 11th 2020 - 08:11 UTC
Full article
“Throughout the world, the pandemic has entered a more acute phase,” said Health Minister Roberto Speranza. “Throughout the world, the pandemic has entered a more acute phase,” said Health Minister Roberto Speranza.

Italy on Thursday banned travelers from Brazil and 12 other countries it considers to pose a high risk of Covid-19 transmission. The full list comprises Armenia, Bahrain, Bangladesh, Bosnia, Brazil, Chile, the Dominican Republic, Kuwait, North Macedonia, Moldova, Oman, Panama and Peru.

The decree banning visitors from those countries from entering Italy was signed by the health ministry in agreement with the foreign, interior and transport ministries.

“Throughout the world, the pandemic has entered a more acute phase,” said Health Minister Roberto Speranza. “We cannot throw away the sacrifices made by Italians in recent months,” he added.

Italy was the first country to be hit by the virus after it emerged in China late last year. The spread of the coronavirus has been slowed with 12 new deaths declared on Thursday, from 15 the previous day.

Brazil has suffered the highest number of Covid-19 fatalities apart from the United States, with nearly 70,500 dead, and 1,8 million contragions.

Top Comments

Disclaimer & comment rules

Commenting for this story is now closed.
If you have a Facebook account, become a fan and comment on our Facebook Page!