MercoPress, en Español

Montevideo, December 2nd 2021 - 16:17 UTC

 

 

Brazil cuts down import tariffs to fight growing inflation

Saturday, November 6th 2021 - 09:59 UTC
Full article 7 comments
Guedes explained that “at this moment there is a strong inflationary pressure and facilitating the entry of imports will allow prices to adjust.” Guedes explained that “at this moment there is a strong inflationary pressure and facilitating the entry of imports will allow prices to adjust.”

In a move aimed at curbing inflation, Brazil Friday announced a 10% reduction of import tariffs on 87% of goods and services until December 31, 2022. Economy Minister Paulo Guedes now expects the other Mercosur countries to do the same.

In a joint note from the Ministries of Economy and Foreign Affairs, the Government explained that “rates will be reduced temporarily and exceptionally until December 31, 2022”, under the Montevideo Treaty, which allows countries to take measures aimed at “protecting the life and health of their people.”

The measure will work for Brazil and will not have an impact on items such as automobiles, auto parts, dairy products, textiles, and toys. Products that are in Mercosur exception regimes, such as capital goods, were also left out. “Brazil continues to participate fully in the ongoing negotiations in Mercosur. The Ministries of Economy and Foreign Relations reiterate the exceptional and temporary nature of this Resolution while reaffirming their commitment to Mercosur.”

Argentine Foreign Ministry sources admitted Brasilia had previously informed Buenos Aires it was going to take this decision temporarily. Argentine sources said the measure was suggested by the Government of President Alberto Fernández to appease both Brazil and Uruguay, who had asked for greater reductions.

The revision of Mercosur's Common External Tariff (CET) is an ongoing negotiation which began two years ago and was resumed in the Oct. 8 meeting between Argentina's Foreign Minister Santiago Cafiero and his Brazilian counterpart Carlos França, during which a consensus was reached to reduce the CET by 10%.

The definition adopted by the Ministry of Economy of Brazil (Resolution 269/2021 of the Executive Committee of CAMEX Management - Foreign Chamber of Commerce-) is of a transitory and exceptional nature and respects the parameters agreed between both countries and on which work continues within Mercosur. “There is a consensus between both countries regarding maintaining the unity of the bloc and negotiating jointly with third countries, in the sense of what was expressed in the Joint Communiqué of 8 October last.”

Following Brazil's decision Friday, Economy Minister Paulo Guedes said he expected the other three members of Mercosur would follow suit shortly.

According to reports from Buenos Aires, there will soon be a meeting of coordinators of the Common Market Group to update Mercosur's tariff structure in accordance with the current conditions of regional and world trade.

Minister Guedes explained that “at this moment there is a strong inflationary pressure and facilitating the entry of imports will allow prices to adjust.”

Meanwhile, Montevideo insisted on the “need to modernize” Mercosur. The Foreign Ministry and the Ministry of Economy and Finance of Uruguay issued a joint statement describing “Brazil's decision is understood within the current framework of Mercosur as an imperfect Free Trade Zone.”

“What was communicated by the Brazilian government reflects the need to modernize and open up Mercosur, as a way to achieve a better opening and international insertion,” the communiqué added.

Friday's decision came as a surprise, nevertheless, because most analysts foresaw the announcement would be made at the next bloc Summit to be held in December in Brazil.

Categories: Economy, Politics, Brazil, Mercosur.

Top Comments

Disclaimer & comment rules
  • Terence Hill

    Re: Brazil envisions plans to cut down Amazon deforestation …

    “It's just like when you got the wrong end of the stick and insisted that Gen. Mourão had commanded the Brazilian forces in Haiti..”

    No I did not, I merely cited the following journalists, Cordeiro and Fogel.
    You're like someone who uses the toilet and never flushes, since I have absolutely refuted your same false claim numerous times, loser.

    “Mourão, together with General Augusto Heleno, were Brazil’s top military commanders in its disastrous intervention in Haiti. According to international observers and human rights organizations, they are responsible for massacring dozens of civilians in the slums of Port au Prince in 2006. Now, they stand close to the highest political office in Brazil.”
    Bolsonaro’s Most Dangerous Supporters by Aldo Cordeiro/Sauda Benjamin Fogel
    https://en.mercopress.com/2019/02/18/bolsonaro-learning-the-hard-way-family-and-politics-don-t-mix/comments#comment498271

    Nov 08th, 2021 - 11:21 am +1
  • Terence Hill

    “Ranting to yourself now I see”

    Hardly perpetual loser, there´s two citations in my post, If you follow them you’ll get there, eventually.

    Wow, a never was, nor ever will be, riding on fascist’s coat-tails. Dingleberry, don’t you get cross-eyed looking at his haemorrhoids from so close up?

    Nov 08th, 2021 - 04:00 pm +1
  • Terence Hill

    “I’ll give it to you again”.

    No, you’re not shifting the burden of proof, by moving the goalposts'.
    As your unable to refute the fact that your bud’s been proved a lying son of a bitch, period.
    Your attempted enabling is a failure. But, not unexpected, from a perpetual loser.

    “And still no evidence to support the claim of:” your lying fascist buddy.

    Nov 08th, 2021 - 05:42 pm +1
Read all comments

Commenting for this story is now closed.
If you have a Facebook account, become a fan and comment on our Facebook Page!