Argentine president Alberto Fernández together with Buenos Aires province governor Axel Kicillof and the head of the Buenos Aires City government, Horacio Rodriguez Larreta, agreed on Thursday to further implement mobility restrictions, including “a strong decline in vehicle circulation” in the Metropolitan Area of Buenos Aires (AMBA).
For parents Jose Perez and Flavia Lavorino, the wait is finally over. On Wednesday, the couple from Buenos Aires met their baby son Manu for the first time, 71 days after he was born to a surrogate mother 12,875km away in Ukraine.
Argentina decided to prolong the quarantine linked to the COVID-19 pandemic until 28 June in the areas most affected by the coronavirus, President Alberto Fernandez said on Thursday. The president made the announcement next to Buenos Aires City Mayor Horacio Rodriguez Larreta and Axel Kicillof, governor of Buenos Aires province, which concentrates 40% of the country's population, and most virus cases.
The Argentine auto industry bottomed out in April, the first full month of the quarantine in force in the country since March 20. With all its factories closed since that day, not a single vehicle left the assembly lines, a catastrophe without historical precedent. But little by little, last week they came back to life under strict sanitary protocols, with only one shift per day and production at one-third of the installed capacity.
Argentina extended until June 7 a mandatory lockdown in metropolitan Buenos Aires on Saturday and tightened some movement restrictions, after a steady increase in the city's confirmed coronavirus cases in recent days.
After 50 days in mandatory lockdown, Argentina's President Alberto Fernández announced on Friday that the quarantine will be extended until May 24th.
Several hundred activists blocked this week one of Buenos Aires' main avenues for hours to demand food for soup kitchens that feed hundreds of thousands in poor neighborhoods during the mandatory lockdown aimed at preventing the spread of the new coronavirus.
A Buenos Aires crude oil refinery operated by Argentine state-controlled energy firm YPF is running with a minimal level of workers due to a drop in consumption and a lack of storage space amid a crash in global oil prices during the coronavirus pandemic, a spokesman said on Wednesday.
Argentina’s capital Buenos Aires authorities on Monday announced it was stepping up measures to curb the COVID-19 outbreak by making face masks mandatory on public transit.
Argentina will extend until April 27 the lockdown it imposed last month to control the spread of the coronavirus, President Alberto Fernandez said in a televised address on Friday, adding that the measure would be applied only in major cities.