MercoPress, en Español

Montevideo, May 24th 2019 - 09:43 UTC

Argentina denies purchase of Russian aircraft but admits the Chinese option

Friday, March 27th 2015 - 07:23 UTC
Full article 16 comments
The Argentine minister pointed out that Russia's Su-24 were never under consideration since they are “absolutely inaccessible in terms of value” The Argentine minister pointed out that Russia's Su-24 were never under consideration since they are “absolutely inaccessible in terms of value”
Rossi admitted that the FC-1/JF-17 offered by Beijing complies with Argentina's requirements, according to a top Air Force officer currently in China Rossi admitted that the FC-1/JF-17 offered by Beijing complies with Argentina's requirements, according to a top Air Force officer currently in China

Argentina 'never had in consideration' the possibility of purchasing fighter aircraft from Russia, such as the Sukhoi Su-24, to replace the aging French Mirages to be decommissioned by the end of the year, said Defense minister Agustín Rossi.

 However Rossi did confirm that there are other four fighter aircraft models under 'analysis' for their possible purchase: the F1 from Spain; Kfir Block 60 from Israel and the FC-1/JF-17 from China. To these must be added an informal proposal from France which still has to be delivered officially.

Precisely this week Argentina's Air Force chief of staff Mario Miguel Callejo traveled to China to consider if the aircraft offered comply with the capabilities needed and “he told me they effectively respond to those requirements” admitted minister Rossi.

However “until we don't have all the formal offers on the table, will we decide what aircraft to purchase. But our intention is that this should happen before the end of the year. I will be taking the different options to the President so she can make a decision”.

Rossi pointed out that the Russian Su-24 were never under consideration for purchase since they are “absolutely inaccessible in terms of value”. The only discussions currently with the government of president Vladimir Putin are for “the purchase of our high seas tugs which are nowhere near any war weapon or equipment”.

Earlier this week the London sensationalist daily The Sun published that the UK government was reinforcing Falklands defense because of an alleged Argentine plan to recover the Islands with help from Russia.

However Secretary of Defense Michael Fallon addressing the House of Commons only said that Argentina remained 'a live threat' for the Falklands and thus a review of material, funds and equipment, but no increase in the number of troops or any mention of the alleged Russian support risk.

Top Comments

Disclaimer & comment rules
  • Englander

    Argentina must continue to keep the UK fully informed with regard to its future military purchases.

    Mar 27th, 2015 - 08:37 am 0
  • falklandlad

    Ha, Rossi is squealing not that his Govt's intentions were exposed by the UK. Pathetic little belligerent people.

    Mar 27th, 2015 - 09:22 am 0
  • Crackpot

    So, he has denied that Argentina was planning to buy Su-24sfrom Russia,. Fair enough, as nobody ever suggested that they would “buy” them.
    However, he not not denied that they had plans to “lease” the planes, which is what the original story implied.
    The details of the “proposal from France” should be interesting.

    Mar 27th, 2015 - 10:32 am 0
Read all comments

Commenting for this story is now closed.
If you have a Facebook account, become a fan and comment on our Facebook Page!