FIFA's internal investigation by attorneys at world football provides evidence that former FIFA bosses Sepp Blatter, Jerome Valcke and Markus Kattner breached their fiduciary duties to the federation.
FIFA peeled back another layer of secrecy this week as football’s governing body revealed for the first time how much money it was paying disgraced former president Sepp Blatter. The former FIFA chief, who was suspended with pay in October 2015 and later banned for unethical conduct, made $3.76 million last year. He did not earn a performance bonus but did pocket almost $450,000 for reaching 40 years of service at FIFA.
Two weeks before the presidential election, FIFA's top judge bans former secretary general Jerone Valcke for 12 years for misconduct relating to World Cup ticket sales, travel expenses and destruction of evidence.
“The FIFA Emergency Committee decided on 9 January 2016 to dismiss Jérôme Valcke from the position of FIFA secretary general with immediate effect. Jérôme Valcke is therefore no longer the secretary general of FIFA,” a FIFA statement said on Wednesday.
FIFA president Sepp Blatter has appealed against the 90-day ban that forced him out of office, as world football's sleaze-tainted governing body headed into months of turmoil over how to find a new leader.
The president of the African football confederation Issa Hayatou steps up to replace Sepp Blatter who was on Thursday suspended for 90 days over corruption allegations. Blatter was provisionally suspended for 90 days along with secretary general Jerome Valcke and UEFA chief Michel Platini.
FIFA secretary general Jerome Valcke has been put on leave and released from his duties until further notice. A Fifa statement said it had been made aware of a series of allegations involving the secretary general.
FIFA has admitted the corruption scandal is putting off new World Cup sponsors and plans to hold a summit with existing backers in August. Secretary-general Jerome Valcke said: The current situation doesn't help to finalize any new agreements.
Swiss authorities say they have evidence of 53 suspicious FIFA-linked banking relations reported by Swiss banks. Under the Anti-Money-Laundering Framework of Switzerland, banks are required to report any suspicious activity that happens within their accounts. Some of the 53 suspicious reports are among 104 banking relations already known by the investigators.
The director of communications & public affairs at FIFA has stepped down with immediate effect. FIFA announced on June 11, via release, that Walter de Gregorio would be stepping down and serving on a “consultancy basis” through the calendar year. De Gregorio joined FIFA in September 2011.