Soccer passionate Uruguay is again with no matches this weekend in the local major leagues and could be for several weeks, because of a conflict between professional players demanding to remove the authorities of their association and a call for fresh elections. A request supported by six hundred signatures, and until complied there will be no games. The measure has been supported by the referees association.
Former FIFA president Sepp Blatter says he’s confident his six-year ban from football will be lifted. Blatter resigned as the head of FIFA in June 2015 after 17 years at the helm and just four days after his reelection for a fifth term he was handed an eight-year ban along with European football chief Michel Platini for ethics violations.
Unless something dramatic happens, Sepp Blatter will on Friday emerge victorious from his latest FIFA presidential battle. Despite the challenge from Jordanian Prince Ali Bin Al Hussein, the 79-year-old Swiss is widely expected to secure the majority of votes of the 209 member federations in the secret ballot, reports World Football Insider.
The International trade Union Confederation is calling on FIFA delegates to support Jordan’s Prince Ali in this week’s election for FIFA President, following Ali’s re-affirmed commitment on labour and other human rights. The other two challengers to incumbent Joseph Blatter, Luis Figo and Michael van Praag have withdrawn from the race.
The 2014 World Cup helped create a record revenue of 2 billion dollars for FIFA last year, with 337 million in profits coming from the four-year cycle leading up to the finals in Brazil.
Luis Figo has pledged to distribute “2.5 billion” among the member associations of FIFA if he is elected president in May. He also wants to expand the World Cup, and proposes a term limit of 12 years for the presidency.
Former Portugal star Luis Figo has announced he will stand for the FIFA presidency. The 42-year-old revealed his intentions in an interview with CNN, a day before the FIFA deadline for candidacies.
Dutch FA chief Michael Van Praag is to challenge Sepp Blatter for the FIFA presidency. The 67-year-old says he has “at least” five nominations from FIFA’s 209 member federations to become an official candidate after the Jan. 29 deadline for submissions.
FIFA Vice-President Prince Ali bin Al Hussein said on Tuesday he would stand against Sepp Blatter for presidency of football's world governing body, declaring that years of controversy surrounding the beautiful sport must end.
Holding the controversy-plagued 2022 World Cup finals in Qatar at the end of that year rather than the scorching summer is FIFA president Sepp Blatter’s preferred option, he told French radio station France Info.