A French submarine that went missing in the western Mediterranean in 1968 has been located during a search mission, officials said on Monday, ending a 51-year wait for families of the deceased who continue to seek answers to the naval disaster.
Argentina's Defense Minister Oscar Aguad, quoting reports from experts, said on Friday that the sinking of the ARA San Juan submarine in November 2017 was caused by a “lack of training” and “capabilities.”
The US ship operator company that found the remains of ARA San Juan, Ocean Infinity on Thursday will receive USD 7,500,000, as indicated in the contract signed with the Argentine State.
A year after the disappearance of the Argentine Navy’s submarine ARA San Juan, the crew of HMS Clyde, one of the British ships that participated in the search operation, yesterday showed their respects in an act of remembrance from the Falkland Islands. The act was given hours before the Ministry of Defense and the Argentine Navy confirmed that the Norwegian ship Seabed Constructor made the discovery.
The Argentine Navy confirmed early Saturday morning that the missing ARA San Juan submarine which disappeared in the South Atlantic on 15 November a year ago, with a crew of 44, has been found. The discovery was also announced by the Argentine Defense ministry and the United States company, Ocean Infinity, leading the search for the vessel, and it happens exactly one year and one day after all contact was lost with the vessel sailing from Ushuaia, Tierra del Fuego to its base in Mar del Plata.
The US company Ocean Infinity has reported new evidence was found in the search for the missing Argentine Navy's ARA San Juan submarine and that their leading ship, the Seabed Constructor, was due in the area Friday before midnight
Argentine President Mauricio Macri that nothing he would say could take away the pain off relatives and friends of the 44 crewmembers of the ARA San Juan submarine which was last heard of on November 15, 2017.
Argentina last year chose to turn down a British offer of a minisub to search submarine ARA San Juan, it was reported Sunday. The then Navy Chief of Staff Admiral Marcelo Srur failed to convey the British offer December 5 last to Defense Minister Oscar Aguad, who confirmed the reports, according to the Buenos Aires daily Clarin.
Ocean Infinity, the US company searching the missing Argentine submarine ARA San Juan, revised its decision to halt operations deemed “useless” until February and resumed work to comply with the minimum 60-day task agreed upon, it was reported.
Efforts to retrieve the missing Argentine Navy submarine ARA San Juan changed course Sunday and now everything is “Area 6” for the operation, as the ship Seabed Constructor deployed its robots throughout it, the last one to be added to the search.